Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
Nights Camped in 2010 - 2

Refrigerator drain tube replacement

Hi all,

Well, I have reached the end of the life for the drain tube that comes out the back of the refrigerator and will need to replace this year. Actually, I probably reached end of life a few years ago and have been lucky that enough of the hose still sticks out and drains.

I know that I am going to replace it with a quality tubing and not the crappy plastic the sell at the dealer, but my biggest question has to do with routing the tubing in such a way to create a trap. The orginial tube is pinched....crappy design, but has worked over the years.

How much of a trap is needed? Is it ok to tie wrap to the coils? Pulling the reefer doesn't look overly complicated.

While I am in there, I am going to take care of the annoying fan too. I am out this weekend, and thank God the AC is running.

Thanks all, George
Nights Camped 2010 = 18
Nights Camped 2011 = 15
sailingsuppo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #2

i just used poly tube on mine drilled a hole and ran it out the bottom instead of through the cover. Didn't have to pull the refrigerator out to do it.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingsuppo46 View Post
Hi all,

Well, I have reached the end of the life for the drain tube that comes out the back of the refrigerator and will need to replace this year. Actually, I probably reached end of life a few years ago and have been lucky that enough of the hose still sticks out and drains.

I know that I am going to replace it with a quality tubing and not the crappy plastic the sell at the dealer, but my biggest question has to do with routing the tubing in such a way to create a trap. The orginial tube is pinched....crappy design, but has worked over the years.

How much of a trap is needed? Is it ok to tie wrap to the coils? Pulling the reefer doesn't look overly complicated.

While I am in there, I am going to take care of the annoying fan too. I am out this weekend, and thank God the AC is running.

Thanks all, George
I literally just did this a couple hours ago. Simple is you have some very basic mechanical skills.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1531089
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #4

On our last travel trailer I was able to do this from outside without detaching the fridge - mostly by feel and with one hand at a time because two wouldn't fit. I've looked at our current Rockwood and I'm not sure that this would be possible.

Repairs - Refrigerator Drain Line Replacement

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
On our last travel trailer I was able to do this from outside without detaching the fridge - mostly by feel and with one hand at a time because two wouldn't fit. I've looked at our current Rockwood and I'm not sure that this would be possible.
Yes, if there were a couple inches you might be able to manage, but my 14 year old couldn't get his hand in there. No way I could've. Plus, it was simple to slide out.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Yes, if there were a couple inches you might be able to manage, but my 14 year old couldn't get his hand in there. No way I could've. Plus, it was simple to slide out.
Good to know! Thanks for posting... I know I'll have to do it eventually. I would question why manufacturers use that cheap plastic tubing at all but I think we all know the answer to that!

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:11 PM   #7

I colorfully questioned it many times the last few days . . .
Old 06-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
Nights Camped in 2010 - 2

Thanks Everyone. The space is definitely to small to reach up into and do what needs to be done. The Reefer will have to come out, which is not preferred but I am not going to let the dealer do it and keep my trailer for months and charge me an arm and leg. Heading off to the store for tubing and will start the job tomorrow. I will let everyone know how it turns out....go or bad. Have a Happy Father's Day weekend. Cheers, GK
Nights Camped 2010 = 18
Nights Camped 2011 = 15
sailingsuppo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #9

The day we were planning to leave for our first trip this year I checked the drain tube and it all but fell apart in my hands. My fix was, I yanked the small drain catch out from inside the fridge and shoved a length of tygon tubing into the extension ( it wasn't easy, a little soap helped). Then I put some heat shrink tubing over the connection, a little heat and Shazam. I reinstalled and it looks pretty good.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, refrigerator, replacement