RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #1

refrigerator. Gas vs electric.

My refrigerator works very well. I do however want to run it on gas as the electric in camp is $.24 per KWH. I've done the math. At that rate, gas is cheaper. BJ's 30# fill is about $15.00 for members.

If I switch to gas is there any way to know if it is on? The indicator light is for auto only when on electric. If it's not calling for gas at the time I switch over how will I know it works. Should I be able to see a flame from outside with the grill off?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:01 PM   #2

You can hear the flame from outside when itís burning.
Nascon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #3

On mine its green on electric and amber on gas
kcmusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
Citrus County, Fl.

Cavie, sounds like you have not run yours on propane very often. As it's 16 years old, be sure the flame is mostly blue so you get a more efficient burn. It can be adjusted by loosening the screw on the venturi pipe. Also, spiders love to make nests in there so you may need to clean it with a small bottle brush or similar item.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #5

This might not be relevant to OPs issue, but my 2018 Grey Wolf is also AUTO on the frig with green for elec and amber for gas. How do you override the auto and force it to use gas while plugged in? (sorry, all my manuals are in the camper in storage or I would look it up)
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #6
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
This might not be relevant to OPs issue, but my 2018 Grey Wolf is also AUTO on the frig with green for elec and amber for gas. How do you override the auto and force it to use gas while plugged in? (sorry, all my manuals are in the camper in storage or I would look it up)

Our switch has 3 positions Auto/Off/Gas

When Gas is selected it will only run on propane.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #7

In addition to being able to hear the gas ignite, the lights on the refrigerators on both our tt and the miniMH will blink when there is something wrong with the propane supply.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCampers View Post
Our switch has 3 positions Auto/Off/Gas

When Gas is selected it will only run on propane.

Thanks, I'll take a closer look when i pull it out of storage.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
My refrigerator works very well. I do however want to run it on gas as the electric in camp is $.24 per KWH.
That electricity sounds expensive. Call the local utility and ask what the price is. It is against federal law for a reseller (the campground) to mark up the price of electricty. If they are marking it up, report them to the utility.

2018 Coachmen Viking 21RD
2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Full-timing since October 2017
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #10

On the Dometic, if you pull the outside panel, you should be able to hear the flame. The burner housing is to the far right and it should be hot if the burner is working. There is also a small peep hole at the bottom where the burner is and you should be able to see a flame through the peep hole right next to where the gas line goes in. The electric heating element is located about half way up the heater housing.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #11
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
My refrigerator works very well. I do however want to run it on gas as the electric in camp is $.24 per KWH. I've done the math. At that rate, gas is cheaper. BJ's 30# fill is about $15.00 for members.

If I switch to gas is there any way to know if it is on? The indicator light is for auto only when on electric. If it's not calling for gas at the time I switch over how will I know it works. Should I be able to see a flame from outside with the grill off?
My Dometic has a button to switch from Auto to gas to 12v to mains.
When setting up camp, If I turn on the gas bottles before connecting to shore power, the fridge auto-connects to gas. When I hook up shore power, it waits then changes to that. Sometimes I have to do the change manually, but no big deal. I just have to remember to check. The lights on the control panel tells me what it's running on.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
On mine its green on electric and amber on gas
I have only the amber AUTO light. it searches for auto electric the amber light is on. If I want gas I turn on the gas button and the Amber auto light goes out. one light only. IT has dropped from 41 degrees to 36 degrees on propane. Gotta turn that up.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Cavie, sounds like you have not run yours on propane very often. As it's 16 years old, be sure the flame is mostly blue so you get a more efficient burn. It can be adjusted by loosening the screw on the venturi pipe. Also, spiders love to make nests in there so you may need to clean it with a small bottle brush or similar item.
Bought it in 5-2016. Never have tried to run on gas. Did tonight for the first time and it dropped 5 degrees.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #14

Quote:
I only have 1 light. When I turn the gas button on the Electric light goes out. When I turn the gas off it will light the auto light and electric will be on. It also has an off button. everything goes out. Dropped 5 degrees on propane.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaylor View Post
That electricity sounds expensive. Call the local utility and ask what the price is. It is against federal law for a reseller (the campground) to mark up the price of electricity. If they are marking it up, report them to the utility.
That is the price from all the local parks and the local utility. Electric resale is illegal everywhere. It is the commercial rate. The residential rate is much lower. Seasonal site and electric is metered.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #16

Quote:

You have to flip the breaker off. With my 2015 Grey Wolf though, when you do that it also turns off all of outlets except GFI. Did not know that until we hooked the inverted we installed and wanted to use gas only for the fridge.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, fridge, gas