Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2024, 05:20 AM   #1

Refrigerator lock

Has anyone upgraded their fridgeís locking mechanism, if you can call it one? While driving, our fully loaded fridge opened and there was a huge mess to clean up! We have a Forester 2501 TS, 2022. Iím using straps attached to the doorknob for the shower room to keep the fridge door closed; but would like a more permanent solution. Thanks for any advice on fixing this issue!
Babybehemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 05:46 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybehemoth View Post
Has anyone upgraded their fridge’s locking mechanism, if you can call it one? While driving, our fully loaded fridge opened and there was a huge mess to clean up! We have a Forester 2501 TS, 2022. I’m using straps attached to the doorknob for the shower room to keep the fridge door closed; but would like a more permanent solution. Thanks for any advice on fixing this issue!
It's always better to post the make and model number of the fridge, instead of your RV information. FR divisions use a variety of different fridges.

Moved thread from the Modifications and Updates section to the Appliances and Electronics sub-forum since the OP's questions are specific to Appliances.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 06:05 AM   #3

Itís a Magic Chef. I canít figure out how to post a new thread in appliances.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:15 AM   #4

Magic Chef lock opens while driving

My fridge door opened a few times while driving, creating a huge mess to clean up. Has anyone replaced the slide locking mechanism with a more reliable solution? I was thinking of adding a padlock to the refrigerator section. The freezer door is not a problem. Thanks for any advice!
Old 04-19-2024, 06:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Has anyone upgraded their fridgeís locking mechanism, if you can call it one? While driving, our fully loaded fridge opened and there was a huge mess to clean up! We have a Forester 2501 TS, 2022. Iím using straps attached to the doorknob for the shower room to keep the fridge door closed; but would like a more permanent solution. Thanks for any advice on fixing this issue!
I don't know what your locking mechanism is like but on our 2023 manufactured Furrion, 10cu ft, 12v, the locking system works well. Its plastic, so who knows how long it will last, so my Wife lined the shelves with a grippy membrane and each shelf has 2 tension rods. We also put things in containers, so smaller things can't just roll around on their own.

Anyway, all that prep work should mean, that nothing gets up against the door to push on it, or falls on the floor, if it does open.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:33 AM   #6

I would add a velcro strap to hold it in place would look better that a padlock
Old 04-19-2024, 06:35 AM   #7

Ours has a 12v Dometic. The locks seemed fine until they didn't. I believe the weight of stuff in the door provided just enough sag that they slipped going across Kansas City last summer. We got to a stop and the door was closed and locked, but there was some cheese and cookies mysteriously on the floor. Luckily the eggs chose to stay inside. I had a couple flat bungee cords with me and rigged a way that they could connect to the vents on the top and bottom of the fridge mounting plate. They continue to work great. I doubt I will try for something different.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:48 AM   #8

Plenty of options, you just have to figure out which one will work best for you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+r...t=gws-wiz-serp
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 06:52 AM   #9

I have lots of Velcro so Iíll give it a whirl. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2024, 07:08 AM   #10

Funny, was one of the main reasons we selected our Class B, Galleria from Coachmen. It truly, was the only smaller RV with the largest refrigerator and had both Top and bottom doors with locks. We did not have that on our Class A, Motorhome and did have a few mishaps/accidents.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Referator4.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	298834

Name:	CKEA6606.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	298835

Name:	2021 Galleria Li3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	298836
DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:41 AM   #11

Don't forget the tension rods! If you're relying on your door look to keep the interior of the RV safe from a mess, consider what's happening INSIDE your fridge.

These are an indispensible lifesaver, IMHO:
https://www.amazon.com/Tension-Adjus...dp/B0932G63CR/

Keeps your stuff nice and planted, plus, they reduce the need for the door lock to work so hard. No stuff jumping around IN the fridge = less stuff to jump around OUTSIDE the fridge.

Just my .02 - but this one I'm right on!
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 09:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
Keeps your stuff nice and planted, plus, they reduce the need for the door lock to work so hard. No stuff jumping around IN the fridge = less stuff to jump around OUTSIDE the fridge.

Just my .02 - but this one I'm right on!
X2
Or the double bar style.
https://www.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Refri..._source=1&th=1
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 03:16 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Itís a Magic Chef. I canít figure out how to post a new thread in appliances.
As I said in my post, I already moved your thread to the Appliances and Electronics sub-forum.
There are numerous different Magic Chef model numbers. There should be a sticker or plaque inside the fridge, that has the model number.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:02 PM   #14

A two step solution will give you more protection.
First, consider the tension rods to hold things inside and storage bins to keep things from moving around.
Then a child lock refrigerator lock will give you additional protection.

It's a common problem and many of us have had to clean up a mess after things shifted.

Tags
lock, refrigerator