Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
BBQ'er

Refrigerator not working / no power (DM2852LBFX)(WP 18EC)

Took our work and Play 18EC on 5 day trip, fridge worked fine on gas and Elec as well as switched back and forth during travel and camping. I shut the fridge off after trip, after sitting for 4 weeks with battery shutoff in off position; I returned and tried to start the fridge. I have no lights on fridge panel as well as no lights inside fridge.

Bettery switch is on
Tried on gas and electric.
Checked breaker and 5amp fuse inside trailer
Checked 3amp fuse outside in back of refrigerator

I read that there is a reset switch/breaker (on older models) on the outside but did not see any. ?????????
Old 02-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #2

My first guess is that your battery is dead. There are parasitic draws that will run it down to nothing, even with the factory battery shutoff in the off position. Things like your CO/propane detector, stereo and any 12V TVs, electric tongue or leveling jacks all usually bypass factory the shutoff switch. The CO/propane detector is for your safety (even though it does no good if nobody hears the alarm or drains the battery flat). The stereo and TV take small amounts of current to maintain settings and presets, and shorten time to start up.

The fixes are - 1) keep your RV plugged in and battery charged, 2) install a true disconnect at the battery, or 3) manually disconnect the battery by removing all wires from one post.

Second guess: Do you have any 12V power (interior lights) at all with the fridge not working? If yes, the fuse(s) for the fridge, the 12V wiring to the fridge, and then the fridge control board are suspects.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #3
BBQ'er

thx, 12v system and battery are fine. Interior trailer lights, awning, pump all working fine as well as test panel over stove indicate good.

I'm leaning towards the frigerator control panel. Just seams odd that it was working fine, shut off for 4 weeks and I come back to it not working. ????
Old 02-25-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'd bet your control panel (sometimes called brow board) is bad as you suspect.

I've seen several of these corrode the printed circuit board on the back side. It seems to give problems just as you described after using the refrigerator for a period of time and then shutting off and leaving sit for a couple weeks.

Condensation builds in the area of the refrigerator where the control brow mounts and then over a couple weeks the moisture begins to corrode the circuit board as there is limited air able to get in there to dry it out.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:47 PM   #5

Control panels do go bad, but rarely. I would check fuses first, sounds like a 12v power issue to me. You will have a fuse in your main fuse panel, and most likely there will be two fuses on the control board on the back of the fridge behind a little black cover. One of the control board fuses is for 120v, the other is for 12v.
BooHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #6
RVdoctor

refrigerator not working

Check for 12vdc at terminal block located at the rear bottom, usually left side and bottom of fridge. If 12vdc is there check re-settable over temp switch located on refrigerator flue housing. Just follow the red wire from the terminal block towards the flue housing. If 12vdc is only available on one side reset switch by pushing button on switch. If 12vdc is available on both sides of over temperature switch remove lower rear circuit board cover and check the dc fuse there. If power is on both sides of fuse your lower circuit board is probably faulty. Make sure all wiring is good and ground connections. If you don not have a volt meter a simple test light will work. It is rare that a eyebrow circuit board goes bad. The interior light should work even though circuit board is bad. Since your light doesn't come on I would suspect a simple no 12vdc is available for fridge operation and it is either a blown fuse somewhere or faulty wiring.
rvdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #7

should you need either the brow board or th emain board for the refrigerator consider buying a Dinosaur board. They are actually better made than the factory boards and are significantly less expensive. I can also tell you from personal experience that their customer service is as good as it gets.

If I were you I would call them and ask for help diagnosing your trouble. They helped me and got my old unit running. This way you won't be just throwing parts at the problem and hoping it solves the troubles.

I am not affiliated with them in any way, I just received such wonderful assistance and advice I know they will do the same for you.

Their URL is: Dinosaur Electronics Home. High quality circuit boards for RV appliances.

Good Luck!

Tags
power, refrigerator