Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #1

Refrigerator question

I just purchased a 2014 122S hard side camper. When I started up the refrigerator the vent behind it on the outside of the trailer became hot in the upper right hand corner of the vent and had black soot on it. The heat started to discolor the vent panel which is white to a yellow color. I had it on propane so I stopped that and ran the refrigerator on electricity and the vent got hot again. I am afraid of using the refrigerator now and not sure what to do. The dealer that I bought the camper from is 5 hours away so I can't swing in there to have them check it out. The refrigerator is made by Domestic. Any advice would be appreciated. Kevin
Kevin Downey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #2

the company's name is Dometic and you could just call them, as you can take it to anyone who services dometic and they will pay for repairs under warranty, you don't have to go back to the dealer who sold it to you.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Downey View Post
I just purchased a 2014 122S hard side camper. When I started up the refrigerator the vent behind it on the outside of the trailer became hot in the upper right hand corner of the vent and had black soot on it. The heat started to discolor the vent panel which is white to a yellow color. I had it on propane so I stopped that and ran the refrigerator on electricity and the vent got hot again. I am afraid of using the refrigerator now and not sure what to do. The dealer that I bought the camper from is 5 hours away so I can't swing in there to have them check it out. The refrigerator is made by Domestic. Any advice would be appreciated. Kevin
Do not use the fridge until you find out what is going on.
I could not find "122s" in a google, what is your camper? The vent on the sides of almost all campers behind the fridge are air baffle vents to let air in. Did you start the fridge up with 'Gas' or 'Electric' mode? The hot air should go straight up to a vent on the roof and not out of the side. can you take the side vent baffles off and see if anything is clogged/stuffed in there? Mud dobbers/ bird nest?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator