Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #1

Refrigerator Question

Hi! We are new to this trailer camping thing. We have a Rockwood Roo TT. We have the 2-way refrigerator. If we put it to GAS, will it still use battery? We cannot hook up to our home electricity and we don't want to use our whole battery because we leave on our first trip tomorrow but hoped to cool it down ahead of time and leave it on during travel. TIA!!
raedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #2

The igniter for the gas needs battery power but only intermittently when needed. I do it overnight before every trip. Very little battery use, and it will recharge while you tow the next day.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:49 AM   #3

Your reefer doesn't really drink much juice. Basically just the control board and ignition.. as mjones stated. On top of that.. the WH control board, radio, detectors, thermostat, and some parasitic will drink a little as well. It will depend on what type and size of battery you have, but you should be fine overnight and through the day until you can get back on shore power.

Have fun!!!!
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:55 AM   #4
GLCM Warrior

I believe the battery also powers a 'logic board' when in the gas mode so that the temperature control circuits work as well as the light & auto shutoff if you should run out of propane.

However, I agree that the refrigerator uses very little battery power & you should be fine overnight. If properly wired, your tow vehicle should recharge your battery during your drive to your destination.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:13 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
If properly wired, your tow vehicle should recharge your battery during your drive to your destination.
Most tow vehicles will only provide a trickle charge while driving.
So don't expect a low battery to get recharged in 5 hours of driving.

raedale, we have a Roo sub-forum here.
It's in the Hybrid /Expandable section.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
I believe the battery also powers a 'logic board' when in the gas mode so that the temperature control circuits work as well as the light & auto shutoff if you should run out of propane.

However, I agree that the refrigerator uses very little battery power & you should be fine overnight. If properly wired, your tow vehicle should recharge your battery during your drive to your destination.
I just talked to Ford on how many amps get to my TT batteries when plugged up. He said you will get the same voltage but you will not get the amps. He stated the same as above that really it's only a trickle charge. He said the wire couldn't handle higher amps. It's not large enough going back to your plug.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:06 PM   #7

Depending on the model it probably has an electric heater behind the panel between the freezer door and refrigerator door, to prevent condensation. It runs on 12v and is of concern when attempting to conserve your battery.

In previous models there was a switch hidden in the door frame above the freezer door. Newer models lack the switch. The workaround is to cut a red power wire accessible through the interior light. Put an insulated male/female disconnect pair inline where you cut it. That way you can reactivate the condensation warmer when operating on AC power.

The information above doesn't tell you which wire to cut. There are other threads on the topic, with details and pictures. I'm sorry I don't have a link.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator