Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2022, 05:07 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoy View Post
I would be happy if it had a 12v only or a 110/propane frig. I am not happy because it is 110 only, which is essentially a residential fridge. I know - it’s my fault for not learning more about all of the options, but didn’t expect to get some bogus configuration from the manufacturer.
Not aware that it came with a 110v only fridge. I was under the impression that only an outside fridge was 110v only.
How about providing the make and model number of the fridge. Maybe the previous owner had it switched out.
Also check out the Rockwood sub-forum for more information on your GeoPro model number.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:49 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not aware that it came with a 120v only fridge. I was under the impression that only an outside fridge was 120v only.
How about providing the make and model number of the fridge. Maybe the previous owner had it switched out.
Also check out the Rockwood sub-forum for more information on your GeoPro model number.

It is an:
Electrolux (Frigidaire)
Model: FFPS4533UM
amps: 1.4A
Volts: 115V

As I said - I am new to trailering and was planning on learning as I go. I figured a fairly new Geo Pro would be a good way to go, but was not aware of all the different configurations and what was optimal. I thought that I would be able to run this off of shore power - but did not verify prior to purchasing it. I don't think the previous owner swapped it out - he did not own it long and the trailer is like-new condition.

Related questions:
- Sounds like I am not going to be able to boondock with this setup - correct?
- When traveling (hooked up to my tow vehicle) - can I run this fridge on my inverter until I get to shore power?
- Does anyone have any experience with those 12v 50 quart ice chests - and is that an option for boon docking or am I looking at a $1,500 new fridge?

-k

2021 Geo Pro 19FD (with 120v only frig)
avoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:43 AM   #23

Quote:
I am a newbie and just bought a used 2021 19FD 1 week ago. I did not know enough at the time to check to ensure the frig was 12v or had a gas option. Now I am learning about this situation. Sounds like I’m screwed as I did not buy it from a dealer. Arghh!

Not happy with Forrest River or about being a Geo Pro owner!
How is the fact that you didn't verify the configuration or your needs before making a major purchase the fault of Forest River?
Old 10-03-2022, 11:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
We have had both types over the years and the Residential is the way to go. The Absorption ones on a hot day have a hard time keeping up unless you do a lot of boondocking.
It must depend on the model absorption refrigerator you have. We have an absorption refrigerator and even in warm weather we struggle with items being too cold in the refrigerator, despite attempts to make adjustments. We never have problems with it “keeping up”.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
We have had both types over the years and the Residential is the way to go. The Absorption ones on a hot day have a hard time keeping up unless you do a lot of boondocking.
105 degrees outside. 110 degrees inside trailer. Freezer is 1 degree and refrigerator is 34 degrees with 4 out 5 stars selected on my Norcold control panel this summer. Completely factory install, no added fans or anything.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover Podder View Post
How is the fact that you didn't verify the configuration or your needs before making a major purchase the fault of Forest River?

The specs on the Geo Pro 19FD show that is comes with a 12v frig and is setup for boondocking.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:07 PM   #27

Quote:
It is an:
Electrolux (Frigidaire)

Related questions:
- When traveling (hooked up to my tow vehicle) - can I run this fridge on my inverter until I get to shore power?

You can boondock just as well as you could with a 12V fridge. Just use your inverter, the conversion loss will be minimal. You will still need to generate some power somehow, solar, tow vehicle or generator (as you would have to with the 12V fridge).

2015 Sunseeker 2500TS
Magnum 3000VA Hybrid Inverter w/AGS, Relion Lithium w/Victron BMV-712, 600W 24V Solar, 5 Star tune, Hellwig Bars, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo springs, On-board SSD PLEX server, MOFI cellular router, Full HD video distribution w/Apple TV's...
IBEW Local 551 Foreman
roblombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:13 PM   #28

Quote:
The specs on the Geo Pro 19FD show that is comes with a 12v frig and is setup for boondocking.
And if you read the fine print there is always a disclaimer that states that the manufacturer can substitute parts and configurations may vary from those advertised. They substituted a residential fridge and inverter in place of the 12v refrigerator.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #29

Quote:
The specs and brochures are not to be relied upon. There are many potential errors, discrepancies, and product changes. You have to inspect the actual unit you intend to purchase.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:18 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
And if you read the fine print there is always a disclaimer that states that the manufacturer can substitute parts and configurations may vary from those advertised. They substituted a residential fridge and inverter in place of the 12v refrigerator.
Especially during Covid, when they had difficulties getting appliances. Who knows, maybe the original owner ordered it that way.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Especially during Covid, when they had difficulties getting appliances. Who knows, maybe the original owner ordered it that way.

I notice you wrote that in past tense. Companies are still using the pandemic excuse for all kinds of shortfalls in their products and services. They will probably continue to use the same excuse for years to come!
Old 10-03-2022, 01:35 PM   #32
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
It is an:
Electrolux (Frigidaire)

As I said - I am new to trailering and was planning on learning as I go. I figured a fairly new Geo Pro would be a good way to go, but was not aware of all the different configurations and what was optimal. I thought that I would be able to run this off of shore power - but did not verify prior to purchasing it. I don't think the previous owner swapped it out - he did not own it long and the trailer is like-new condition.

Related questions:
- Does anyone have any experience with those 12v 50 quart ice chests - and is that an option for boon docking or am I looking at a $1,500 new fridge?

-k

2021 Geo Pro 19FD (with 120v only frig)
Yes, you can run it off shore power.
Yes you can run it off the inverter without shore power.
Yes, you will need some form of recharging the battery(ies) when not on shore power.

Do you have any solar?

How many/how big is your battery bank?

Your tow vehicle will provide some charging of the battery(ies) when connected and towing. How much?... that depends on the truck and the options. Some will only trickle charge some do more than that and you can easily get from your start to your destination without depleting the battery.(ies). You will need to find out what YOUR truck does.

Not knowing what 12v 50qt. ice chest you are referring to, it may draw more 12v power than your refrigerator using the inverter.

A generator (inverter type) is almost a necessity when boondocking unless you have MASSIVE solar and an unobstructed view to the sun. Oh... and sunny days.

Do you have any of the things I mentioned?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:54 PM   #33

In our previous TT I replaced a defective 3-way, 12V, 120V, LP refrig with a 120-volt model and a pure sine wave inverter. While it is great for keeping cold, it is a battery killer.

Our new trailer (a 2016 model) has a 120V and LP refrigerator. We find it works great! It is on LP when traveling or when we don't have shore power. It is on 120 V when we have shore power.

I suppose one's mileage will vary.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:00 PM   #34

An everchill was mentioned earlier I have one, it works great, 12v. Not allot of cubic feet but it works VERY well
melvinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:43 PM   #35

Everyone,

Appreciate the feedback and the info. As I said - I have only owned this TT for about a week now, so I am still figuring out what I have, how things are working and what I can/can't do with it. I realize that I bought a used trailer and did not know enough to ask all the right questions and that is on me...

To answer your questions:
1) Yes - I have kind of minimal solar at this point 190w panel with 1000w inverter
2) I currently have 2 - 6v 220 Ah batteries. I also have 1 100Ah Lithium battery on the way.
3) I have a Generac: GP 3300i inverter generator

Not sure how much boondocking we will do - a lot if you ask me, very little if you ask my wife.
I was looking at the following cooler as an alternative, if I am not able to use the 120v ac frig for boondocking: https://www.vevor.com/car-refrigerat...p_010213874704

Thanks again!

-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Yes, you can run it off shore power.
Yes you can run it off the inverter without shore power.
Yes, you will need some form of recharging the battery(ies) when not on shore power.

Do you have any solar?

How many/how big is your battery bank?

Your tow vehicle will provide some charging of the battery(ies) when connected and towing. How much?... that depends on the truck and the options. Some will only trickle charge some do more than that and you can easily get from your start to your destination without depleting the battery.(ies). You will need to find out what YOUR truck does.

Not knowing what 12v 50qt. ice chest you are referring to, it may draw more 12v power than your refrigerator using the inverter.

A generator (inverter type) is almost a necessity when boondocking unless you have MASSIVE solar and an unobstructed view to the sun. Oh... and sunny days.

Do you have any of the things I mentioned?

Tags
questions, refrigerator