Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2021, 01:27 PM   #1

Refrigerator questions

Hi, I am new to this forum. It seems to be a good place to get questions answered, so I will try.
I recently took delivery of a GEO PRO 15TB. We are very pleased with the quality and features. However, there is one issue: The refrigerator.
It came with a 120v AC Magic Chef fridge (model HDMR450SE). According to the user manual for the fridge, this fridge should NOT be installed in an RV, should not be used with an inverter and should not be enclosed completely. Well, all three of these describe our fridge. I am worried that it will overheat or fail since it is not ventilated and is running on an inverter.

Anyone have a similar situation?
prgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #2

There was another recent discussion about a Geo Pro with 120 (115) volt refrigerator. I don’t know if the discussion went anywhere as far as coming to conclusions.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...2v-223070.html
Old 01-28-2021, 10:01 AM   #3

That might be worth bringing up to the dealer and get their take on selling a frig not suited to RV travel. Who know may get them to change it out for a RV approved model.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:09 AM   #4

I’d suggest taking up the question directly with Forest River. Did you get a Forest River welcome letter with contact information for a customer service rep? If so, the first step might be to send an email to Forest River with the refrigerator details and owner’s manual statements, and see if you get a response.

Frankly, I don’t think the dealer will show any willingness to help you. They bought the trailer as is from Forest River and sold it to you. They had no control over what refrigerator was installed. This isn’t really a warranty concern, but more like a “fit for the intended purpose” concern.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:16 PM   #5

G15TB Refrigerator

I picked up my trailer earlier this month. Was disappointed in finding the refrigerator was 115v.
I contacted Forest River about it. They apologized and explained that it was a supply problem. They had to substitute the 115v version or shut down. I for one, am glad they did not shut down and will make do with the 110v model. At least when i am traveling I can keep the refrig. turned on and it will be powered by the solar and the tow car. I will keep some ice in the freezer and put it in the refrig. if we camp for a night without electric hookup.
norml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:21 PM   #6

Why should you have to make do? Make FR replace it with what you ordered.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 01-29-2021, 06:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norml View Post
I picked up my trailer earlier this month. Was disappointed in finding the refrigerator was 115v.
I contacted Forest River about it. They apologized and explained that it was a supply problem. They had to substitute the 115v version or shut down. I for one, am glad they did not shut down and will make do with the 110v model. At least when i am traveling I can keep the refrig. turned on and it will be powered by the solar and the tow car. I will keep some ice in the freezer and put it in the refrig. if we camp for a night without electric hookup.
How does your solar and tow car power the 120 volt AC refrigerator? Did Forest River supply the trailer with a sufficiently sized inverter? If so, did they toss in the inverter with the refrigerator swap or did the trailer have an inverter as standard equipment anyway?

I'd guess the chance to refuse the 120 volt 'fridge was when you took possession of the RV. That opportunity may have passed.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:12 PM   #8

the reply I received from Forest River follows:

"The 115V fridge will work perfectly while driving it will run off the batteries through the inverter and your vehicle will keep your batteries charged.

The contents will stay cold, very cold these fridges cool in 1-2 hours AND it is legal to run them while driving. The old gas fridges would take nearly 16 hours to cool and it was illegal to have them on while driving. "
norml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:57 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
The old gas fridges would take nearly 16 hours to cool and it was illegal to have them on while driving. "
This line is absolute nonsense. There are only a handful of places where running a propane fridge is illegal, while on the road. Usually a handful of tunnels in the East and on ferries.
Our RV fridges only took 4-6 hours to cool down on propane and we used them for 20 years, on various RVs.
Whoever wrote that has not been around RVs for very long.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:58 PM   #10

Quote:
the reply I received from Forest River follows:

"The 115V fridge will work perfectly while driving it will run off the batteries through the inverter and your vehicle will keep your batteries charged.

The contents will stay cold, very cold these fridges cool in 1-2 hours AND it is legal to run them while driving. The old gas fridges would take nearly 16 hours to cool and it was illegal to have them on while driving. "

Besides that being a whole lot of nonsense regarding the gas refrigerators, the response from Forest River fails to explain why they installed a Magic Chef model HDMR450SE refrigerator in such a way that runs contrary to the recommendations in the user manual for that refrigerator. If you want to keep the 120 volt 'fridge, fine, but if you don't want it, I'd say that user manual is your case against Forest River.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:47 PM   #11

You're telling me they put in a residential fridge and not a 12v Everchill/Cannon/GE?

If they aren't promising to ship a 12v replacement to your dealer as soon as humanly possible, you should be raising some serious you-know-what directly to FR.
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:58 PM   #12

I contacted Forest River and they agreed to replace the 120v Magic Chef fridge that doesn't belong in an RV with a Everchill 12v RV fridge. I am waiting for a date to take the trailer to the dealer to make the swap. The 12v fridge, while not as useful as a gas/120v one, is better than the 120v one plus it is made for an RV installation.
The ideal fridge to replace it with is a Novakool 4500, but they are really expensive and I am sure FR won't pay for it.

I think is was a big mistake on the part of Forest River to take out the propane/electric fridge but I am sure they did it to save money.
prgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:32 AM   #13

I suspect that FR made that decision based on what the RV community wants. It seems to me the new RV community is way more into glamping then camping so the 110V all electric appeals to that demographic.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 02-17-2021, 05:03 PM   #14

Ever Chill 12Volt Fridge

We have been dealing with power outage here and if I turn my 12 volt fridge off I have heard they are hard to get back on. Is that true. Wanting to conserve battery.
poorbabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:52 PM   #15

We took delivery of our Geo 19FD a couple months ago and it has been in storage. Reading many posts about trying to figure out how the fridge in my unit will work. I have the 115 v model listed above HMDR450SE where the manual also says: not to be used with an inverter and not to be installed in an RV. I contacted FR and here is their response:
"Your refrigerator is a 115 v. FR was provided approval from the refrigerator manufacturer (Magic Chef) and vendor (??) to install in RV's. Also, they continued to say..."it runs off of 12 v. It will run off shore power through your "converter" as well". It can run off of batteries when dry camping" (end quote)
I am no electrician and am thoroughly confused now.
I suspect it means I can use my fridge when:
-I am connected to my TV
-I am connected to shore power
-I have battery juice and can use the inverter??? When I do not have shore power?
Hope you all can help clear this up.
Or I call FR and ask to change it out. Have not taken out of storage yet to check all this with ways it will work (ie: will fridge light come one when plugged into this, using battery only, etc etc)
thank you all in advance
KMRVing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:56 PM   #16
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMRVing1 View Post
We took delivery of our Geo 19FD a couple months ago and it has been in storage. Reading many posts about trying to figure out how the fridge in my unit will work. I have the 115 v model listed above HMDR450SE where the manual also says: not to be used with an inverter and not to be installed in an RV. I contacted FR and here is their response:
"Your refrigerator is a 115 v. FR was provided approval from the refrigerator manufacturer (Magic Chef) and vendor (??) to install in RV's. Also, they continued to say..."it runs off of 12 v. It will run off shore power through your "converter" as well". It can run off of batteries when dry camping" (end quote)
I am no electrician and am thoroughly confused now.
I suspect it means I can use my fridge when:
-I am connected to my TV
-I am connected to shore power
-I have battery juice and can use the inverter??? When I do not have shore power?
Hope you all can help clear this up.
Or I call FR and ask to change it out. Have not taken out of storage yet to check all this with ways it will work (ie: will fridge light come one when plugged into this, using battery only, etc etc)
thank you all in advance
According to the manual your fridge requires 115v, is free standing and is not to be installed in an enclosed cabinet. FR is having supply chain issues with their fridges and have substituted this residential fridge for an RV fridge. I would not accept this at all.

My .02
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 2.54.17 PM.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	250312  

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
questions, refrigerator