Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2020, 06:19 PM   #1

Refrigerator storage

Quick question. When storing your RV, Do you close up your refrigerator or chock the doors open a bit to prevent any smells or damage the inside.
We live in the desert of Phoenix Arizona and when storing our RV in the summer for a few weeks we chock the doors open.
If I forget to do this for a few weeks, am I gonna regret it?
What do y'all do? Thoughts?
Thanks,
Jim
jpaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #2

I think that if you experience warm temps then shut the frig off without letting it dry out you would be creating a mold generator.
Chascin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:37 PM   #3
GLCM Warrior

We prop our refrigerator doors open whenever we aren't using the refrigerators (inside and outside). We just have to remember to close the inside fridge door before towing to/from the storage lot or the door flops open and bangs into things.

I think if you don't prop them open the fridge will smell bad after a few days...or, at least ours do.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:58 PM   #4

Definitely prop it open with something. We use the Camco fridge door prop. Works well for us.

Just make sure you close and lock the doors before travelling.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:03 PM   #5

If you look closely at the latch, many of the refrigerators have a pin that when extended will hold the door open.
And yes you should leave it cracked when not in use.
Trksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:08 PM   #6
Site Team

Prop it open with the blue clips that Dometic provides. They fit in the door latches.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:10 AM   #7
KSH

Open

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078XXGHYM...748420_TE_item
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaskell View Post
We live in the desert of Phoenix Arizona and when storing our RV in the summer for a few weeks we chock the doors open.
You're probably going to regret it. Not chocking the doors open will probably result in a moldy refrigerator.

One of the last things we do before storing is chock the door open. That way it doesn't accidentally get closed as we unpack the rig.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:54 AM   #9

Go open them...you will have a mess on your hands otherwise. How much depends on temps when you last closed it and temps outside.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:29 AM   #10

Hi neighbor!

Quote:
Quick question. When storing your RV, Do you close up your refrigerator or chock the doors open a bit to prevent any smells or damage the inside.
What do y'all do? Thoughts?
Thanks,
Jim
Jim,

(we're in Mesa)

The three and a half seconds it takes to make sure the door stays cracked open is well worth the effort.

Although we've never left ours closed, so I can't speak to any consequences, what harm could possibly be done by wedging it open? (unless of course, you're storing it on-site and plugged into shore power)
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:12 AM   #11

Thanks all for your response. I am aware that leaving the fridge door closed could be bad and I do leave it open. I have the plastic chocks that do the refrigerator and freezer doors both at once.
Only reason I ask is that the storage area moved my RV once without telling me. No damage, but I was asking in case they closed accidently and I was not made aware.
I asked the manager to let me know if he needed to move it and I would gladly visit and take care of things.
Thanks again all for your kind thoughts.
Jim
jpaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Only reason I ask is that the storage area moved my RV once without telling me. No damage, but I was asking in case they closed accidently and I was not made aware.
IF the refrigerator has been open and has had a chance to dry out, you should be ok. If there is moisture in the refrigerator from the freezer defrosting, etc., you do run the risk of having mold grow in there. Our door got closed before we had a chance to clean it and even though it's a small fridge, cleaning the mold was not fun.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:37 PM   #13

When we get home I typically unload the fridge, turn it off, prop the doors open then mop up the water from the defrost. I then leave the doors propped open for several days to let everything dry. After that, close up the fridge and then close up the trailer ‘til next time.
pricejh61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, storage