Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #1

Replacing entertainment head unit - different wiring harness

Hello,

In my 2017 Roo, I am replacing an iRV31 head unit with a new iRV 31 head unit. The wiring harnesses on the new unit are different. For the power (A1-4 on the right), I am not sure how to proceed.

The old unit has:

A1 red (12V Pwr)
A2 black (GND)
A3 N/C
A4 N/C

The new unit has:
A1 YLW (BAT)
A2 Black (GND)
A3 Red (ACC)
A4 Blue (ANT PWR OUT)

With the new harness I ran A1 to where the previous was connected and A2 to GND. But nothing happens when turn battery power on. Since there was no A3/A4 on the old connector, where do I connect the new unit A3/A4 to? The same as A1? Images attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old iRV31.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	233270   Click image for larger version

Name:	New iRV31.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	233271  
tdischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:48 PM   #2

The new unit has TWO 12V+ power connections, like most automotive units. A1 (yellow) is the direct connection to the battery for keep-alive when power in the car is off. A3 (red) is your primary 12V+ power connection, that would run to the accessory relay in a car. This allows the ignition switch to power the stereo on and off.

In most RV installations, these 2 wires are joined and tied to 12V+. This creates problems with the stereo powering itself on whenever there is a sudden change in DC line voltage (plugging into shore power, turning on the battery cut-off, and in my case plugging into the tow vehicle). I installed an on/off automotive switch to turn both power leads off whenever I was not using the stereo, eliminating speaker "pop" and parasitic draw. Drawback is loss of radio and equalizer presets (memory is dumped by turning all power off).

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:59 PM   #3

Fred W,

Thank you! I assumed it was pretty simple but didn't want to fry the unit for making an assumption.
tdischino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entertainment, wiring