Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #21

please keep us posted, I would like to know if you are satisfied once you get it installed and begin using it...
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #22

So far, so good. It was a relatively easy installation. Much better sound than the Touch OEM system, and very smooth volume control. I haven't tried a DVD or USB drive, but will do so this weekend. No small point - the user's manual and remote are MUCH better than the Touch. I just wish that my DirecTV remote would operate it, but I haven't had any luck so far.
ProjectPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I need to start a " I love my Concertone/Genesis" thread.
I think I heard some crickets after reading your post...lol
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #24

I put the finishing touches on the Jensen unit and tested it this weekend. Here's a project report. I have an album showing the Touch before removal, the Touch wiring harness, and the completed Jensen installation.

Removal was easy - just slid the side pieces off to expose the mounting screws. Unplugged the wiring harness and antenna and the unit was out.

Next I widened the mounting hole. The Jensen is wider but shorter than the Touch. I marked my intended cuts with masking tape, then enlarged the hole with a Dremmel. Whatever the cabinet is made of was very easy to cut. Since the hole for the Touch was taller than required for the Jensen, there was a small gap above the radio, but the trim piece easily covered it.

The Touch was wired using some kind of crimping mechanical fasteners. I prefer soldering and heat shrink tubing, so I cut out the mechanical splices and wired everything up the old fashioned way.

Jensen lists the radio as having nonvolatile presets and clock, but it is nonvolatile in the same sense that a car radio is nonvolatile - it relies on a separate +12V unswitched lead for memory, and switched +12V for operation. Since I pull the fuse when I store the trailer, this won't help. I plan to get a small, sealed battery (like UPS and burglar alarm systems use), and connect it to the switched 12V lead through a diode to allow charging when the fuse is in and preventing discharging when the fuse is out.

The unit looks and works great. The only issue I have encountered is that my 32GB USB drive doesn't want to work, but a 4GB drive works fine. I may have given the unit too little time to scan the drive, but even 4GB of MP3s is a lot of music.

One thing I haven't figured out is why the unit has a HDMI port. It would be great if there a Blu-ray upgrade in the future, but I'm not holding my breath.

Overall I am very pleased with the new unit and with the way the project turned out. It was easier than I expected, but I wish I had taken a shop vac along to help with the sawdust cleanup.
ProjectPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #25

I replaced my Genesis GT with a Jensen AWM975. Main reason was because the GT only had composite video output. Picture quality was horrible. Also, we have the rotating tv mount allowing the tv to be viewed in the bedroom or the living room. The GT did not have an option for a second remote sensor. If you wanted to watch a movie in the bedroom, you had the wonderful option of getting up and going to the unit to control it. The Jensen has quirks, but overall I have liked it much better. I don't expect to see a great unit until I see one from Pioneer, JVC, Alpine, Clarion, or the likes. If you want a really great mobile head unit, these are the brands to look to and I would expect if they were to offer an RV specific DVD player you would find the design, layout, and features to be significantly better than current offerings.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
One thing I haven't figured out is why the unit has a HDMI port. It would be great if there a Blu-ray upgrade in the future, but I'm not holding my breath.
Short answer to that is. A Lot of DVD units that have HDMI output will upconvert the video signal giving you a better video picture through the HDMI connection. It will also give you digital audio, better sound through the HDMI. Of course you will need a HDMI "in" on the TV for this to work.

Another advantage is if you replacing RCA cables, your swapping 1 cable for 3 wires. If your replacing composite cables, your swapping 1 cable for 5.

The sound is not a big deal in this case sense the head unit will also be handling the audio to your cabin speakers.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
Short answer to that is. A Lot of DVD units that have HDMI output will upconvert the video signal giving you a better video picture through the HDMI connection. It will also give you digital audio, better sound through the HDMI. Of course you will need a HDMI "in" on the TV for this to work.

Another advantage is if you replacing RCA cables, your swapping 1 cable for 3 wires. If your replacing composite cables, your swapping 1 cable for 5.

The sound is not a big deal in this case sense the head unit will also be handling the audio to your cabin speakers.

Very true. And if you are using an LCD TV, it will be at least capable of 720p resolution. If you are running your video through the standard composite yellow RCA cable, you are getting a 480i signal. You WILL notice a difference in picture quality using the HDMI cable even with standard DVDs.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #28
Wanna Be Camper

MY ZX700 was replaced with a Genesis GT3 while in Indiana and it is very nice. It could probably use better speakers but given it is a trailer and well we don't ever watch over the air TV while camping except for maybe a dvd movie or series at night for a couple hrs as most days we are beat from the days activities so sound quality is pretty low on my list.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Have to disagree that 700$ is a bargain for this receiver. If you can live with a 120 volt system any brand name mini home theatre system receiver blows it away hands down and for less than 1/2 the cost. Many options out there if one can handle simple wiring hookups.
I agree with you on your point Re: price.
Question is what mini home theater system would provide surround sound (aka accommodate existing peripherals), withstand rough roads, and mount into a wall (more like a small cabinet) cavity?

I don't necessarily need 12v system. When I'm boondocking, I like the sounds outside or plain silence. But I am a full-time RVer and my present Concertone is almost condemned to death by hammer soon.
TexasCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad