Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
Thanks for the info Philly-- yes I will pull the wire off the back inverter and see if the fridge still runs on shore power- if it stops, we know it is the same wire for shore and inverter power and the fault is in the inverter sending out adequate current--
Cascin yes I have that phone jack--and the remote switch is working
This is a key step in troubleshooting. The fridge should not work once you disconnect the output wires from the inverter and you are on shore power. If it still works, we have a whole 'nother set of troubleshooting to do.
1200W solar > 412 Ah LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II > Cerbo GX
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #42

OK so I disconnected output wires from inverter and sure enough, with shore power, the fridge is still on- Tells me there is a separate circuit providing fridge power from shore. While the wires were off, without shore power, the inverter was providing 116 V--To test load a bit, I hooked up my big drill to the output wires and it powered my drill just fine. As I see it, this rules out inverter problems and leads me to believe that there has to be a switch/breaker in the inverter to fridge circuit--where that is, I have no idea? sheesh still no clue what to do. Want to thank everyone for all the good suggestions.
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #43

Quote:
OK so I disconnected output wires from inverter and sure enough, with shore power, the fridge is still on- Tells me there is a separate circuit providing fridge power from shore. While the wires were off, without shore power, the inverter was providing 116 V--To test load a bit, I hooked up my big drill to the output wires and it powered my drill just fine. As I see it, this rules out inverter problems and leads me to believe that there has to be a switch/breaker in the inverter to fridge circuit--where that is, I have no idea? sheesh still no clue what to do. Want to thank everyone for all the good suggestions.
That has to be the strangest install ever.

So next step, what is the source of the AC wires that go to the input of the inverter?
Old 10-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #44

So the source of power to the inverter is from the breaker marked general. Appears to have nothing to do with the fridge. I dont know what the inverter output is powering at this point
Old 10-05-2021, 11:12 AM   #45

Looks like I will have to run a wire from the downwind side of the fridge breaker( cut the wire to the fridge) to the inverter receptacle and then tie in the output from the inverter into the remaining fridge circuit? That make sense?
Old 10-05-2021, 11:12 AM   #46

Quote:
So the source of power to the inverter is from the breaker marked general. Appears to have nothing to do with the fridge. I dont know what the inverter output is powering at this point
Even more strange. Is there a fridge circuit breaker?

What they should have done is wired the output of the fridge CB to the input of the inverter. Then run the output of the inverter to the fridge.

Another step: can you go around with a circuit checker and see if any of the outlets you have access to are live when not on shore power with the inverter turned on? This may help identify where the inverter output is going.

I can tell you that the installers are not geniuses. I could not figure out why my water heater would not work on 110V power. I finally opened up the basement spaghetti nest and saw the plug for the water heater laying next to the outlet for the water heater. Someone never plugged it in.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:37 AM   #47

OK I found out that the inverter is powering the outlet on top of the counter near the fridge---They were close--Now I have a lot of rewiring to do--Not easy when everything is closed in.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:40 AM   #48
Site Team

What I suggest is to go around and find out which receptacles are powered by the inverter and which are powered by the "fridge" breaker. You may be able to swap the wires on the "fridge" and "gen" breakers.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:43 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
What I suggest is to go around and find out which receptacles are powered by the inverter and which are powered by the "fridge" breaker. You may be able to swap the wires on the "fridge" and "gen" breakers.
That's what I was thinking, too. That would be straight forward.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:49 AM   #50

No, the larger fridge breaker definitely is the circuit for the shore power fridge,I will have to take the out from the general breaker and replace that with the wire now coming off the inverter to supply that countertop plug, and take the wire off the fridge breaker and send it to the input of inverter and then splice a wire from the out wires of the inverter to what is now the shore fridge circuit--I think I've got it--now to do it...
Old 10-05-2021, 11:50 AM   #51

Is there any reason that they would have sent inverter power to these receptacles and not the fridge? It is meant to power the fridge right?
Old 10-05-2021, 11:52 AM   #52

Quote:
No, the larger fridge breaker definitely is the circuit for the shore power fridge,I will have to take the out from the general breaker and replace that with the wire now coming off the inverter to supply that countertop plug, and take the wire off the fridge breaker and send it to the input of inverter and then splice a wire from the out wires of the inverter to what is now the shore fridge circuit--I think I've got it--now to do it...
That is what you need to do. You could have them do it under warranty.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:53 AM   #53

Quote:
Is there any reason that they would have sent inverter power to these receptacles and not the fridge? It is meant to power the fridge right?
Yes it is. They just wired it all wrong.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #54

Thanks for your help Corn--I will report back once I do the switch--That may be a week from now
Old 10-06-2021, 07:25 PM   #55

So I ended up running a line to a new receptacle at the bottom of the fridge from the above counter receptacle. Now fridge works on shore power and with the inverter without shore power. It now runs off the general breaker instead of the fridge breaker which now supplies nothing but that is ok with me. Thanks for everyones help
Old 10-06-2021, 08:06 PM   #56

Quote:
So I ended up running a line to a new receptacle at the bottom of the fridge from the above counter receptacle. Now fridge works on shore power and with the inverter without shore power. It now runs off the general breaker instead of the fridge breaker which now supplies nothing but that is ok with me. Thanks for everyones help
That is great you figured it all out. They must have ran the fridge cable to the receptacle and the receptacle cable to the fridge. At least you can still use the receptacle when on shore power only being careful when on inverter. Happy camping!
dave1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:10 PM   #57

Could it be that the refer does not run on battery and is AC only ?
Bamamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:32 PM   #58

Bama yes that is absolutely the case-- and that is why we have an inverter--All working now that I ran a new cable to the fridge outlet
Old 10-12-2021, 07:06 AM   #59

Same problem 2017 REI

Known problem with FR trailers. Mine was wired wrong. While on shore power fridge worked fine. While on inverter it did not. It was wired to the microwave/fireplace switch.
Craig Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:07 PM   #60

Send a message via Skype™ to MarcGoldstone
Your AC Power load center likely has two BUS bars each powering 1/2 of the loads. It's possible that the fridge circuit breaker connects to the BUS Bar that is only powered by the Shore Power source.

If this is the case then you might need to relocate the Fridge circuit breaker so it's powered by the Inverter when on battery power.

Another possibility which I had in my 2021 339DS Motorhome is that the inverter may have two circuit breakers one for the input and one for the output. In my coach they were miswired. I had to swap the wires or alternatively can unplug the two breakers and swap their position in the load center (that is if the wires reach) After I did this everything worked fine.
MarcGoldstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge