Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2021, 09:26 PM   #1

Residential Fridge not working

2016 Forest River Sandpiper 371REBH new to me last week. I have the residential fridge which works perfectly with shore power-with batteries-not so much. I turn inverter on (unplug from shore power), it makes noise from under stairs-I open the cubby and test output voltage from inverter-reads 116 V on my multimeter- As I understand it, this circuit should power only the frigdge but with inverter the fridge is off ie no inside light etc. Any idea if there is a breaker somewhere for just this inverter feed or a switch? I have not removed the fridge as it is bolted back but is there only one plug from the fridge and is the receptacle the same one for shore power as for inverter power. All breakers are ok-one is marked fridge but I assume that if this breaker were the problem, the fridge would not work with shore power either. I appreciate your help...
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:13 AM   #2

Boy, not an electrical guy, but maybe weak battery? Although why are you getting power to inverter unplugged. Please post follow-up. Would like to know.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:45 AM   #3
Site Team

The way it should be wired is the 120 volt power to the inverter comes from the breaker marked "Fridge" and there is a built-in transfer switch on the inverter that switches to battery power when shore power isn't available. It sounds like the transfer isn't occurring when you lose shore power. What's puzzling is that you read 116 volts at the output of the inverter when off shore power.

Can you tell us the make and model of the inverter?
Old 10-04-2021, 05:55 AM   #4

I am getting the inverter turning off when shore power is applied and turning on when shore power is off. With shore power off, I get 116 V coming out the back of the inverter but that power isn't reaching the fridge for some reason. Not sure of make of inverter--It is red--100A fuse in front--BUT the inverter seems fine--just it's power not reaching the fridge.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:42 AM   #5

How are you measuring the 116 volts? Some inverters have a GFCI on their output. If there is one you might want to reset it, although again, did you measure the output there? The inverter brand would be helpful.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:44 AM   #6
Site Team

If your inverter has an external transfer switch, you could have the symptoms you describe if the transfer switch isn't switching when you lose shore power.

That's partly why I asked for the make and model. So we could look it up to see if the transfer switch is built in or external.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:48 AM   #7

I am measuring the 116 V directly off the back of the inverter and it says 116V on the inverter screen. I am at work so can't get a model number till tonight Thanks for the help
Old 10-04-2021, 07:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
I am measuring the 116 V directly off the back of the inverter and it says 116V on the inverter screen
if you can measure the voltage on the back of the inverter, you can read the brand and model number. That would be a lot more useful.

2015 335DS
Old 10-04-2021, 08:03 AM   #9

Bama-- If that were the case, would I be able to measure 116V on the back of the machine when the power is off?
Old 10-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Bama-- If that were the case, would I be able to measure 116V on the back of the machine when the power is off?
Depending on the model and how it's wired you may be able to measure voltage at the output all the time, it just wouldn't have any load (amps) when the RV was on shore power, or it may shut down when on shore power.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:29 AM   #11

What we are trying to deduce to help you is "where is the inverter transfer switch?" There always is one...somewhere. Confusing that you said when you disconnect shore power "the inverter comes on." That would mean the you have a converter/inverter combination with a built in transfer switch. Otherwise the inverter wouldn't know anything about shore power at all and would always be on and the transfer switch is beyond the inverter and could very well be your problem.

Two minutes with the model and Google and we will know what to tell you.

2015 335DS
Old 10-04-2021, 10:51 AM   #12

OK found out it is a WFCO model WSD5511 HP
Old 10-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #13

So further investigation... On shore power the screen of the inverter shows 120V and a wave insignia on the screen indicating shore power. When I unplug the RV, the insignia shifts to a battery and 116 volts. The unit recognizes the change from shore to battery. I measured output through the output wires off the back of the inverter and I get 116 v when operating on battery -but the fridge is still off.(though fridge is on when under shore power)
Old 10-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #14

Quote:
So further investigation... On shore power the screen of the inverter shows 120V and a wave insignia on the screen indicating shore power. When I unplug the RV, the insignia shifts to a battery and 116 volts. The unit recognizes the change from shore to battery. I measured output through the output wires off the back of the inverter and I get 116 v when operating on battery -but the fridge is still off.(though fridge is on when under shore power)
OK, there are two sets of AC wires coming to the inverter. When you disconnect from shore power, one will drop to zero. That would be the input. You can do the same thing presumably by turning off the reefer breaker on your AC panel. The other wire is the line to the reefer. It should be at 120 when on shore power and maybe 116 on the inverter. That wire has to go to the refer so that is the place to start.

2015 335DS
Old 10-04-2021, 01:38 PM   #15
Site Team

It sounds like the transfer switch isn't switching away from the shore power when it isn't present, but with you reading 116v it sure seems like that's not the case.

Can you leave the fridge plugged in and test the voltage? If the switch uses triacs you could be reading a false voltage under no load.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #16

I have a 2017 Sierra 371REBH and when I want the fridge to work on batteries I have to turn a quarter turn red key type switch on under the storage area that activates the batteries and then turn the inverter on at the command center.
Towe443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:43 PM   #17

Thanks Towe-- Yes I did that- the battery disconnect switch--inverter is running but no fridge
Old 10-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #18

Can you read 116 VAC at the receptacle the reefer is plugged into when on inverter? Possible that the voltage is not getting there. Check the voltage at the cb marked Refig while on inverter power. CAUTION!! If you are not comfortable working live wires, get some one who is!!
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks Towe-- Yes I did that- the battery disconnect switch--inverter is running but no fridge
Does your inverter have a remote switch or does it automatically come on with the shore power being turned off?
Chascin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Do you have the manual for your inverter? There are trouble shooting steps in it. Do you have a remote panel to control the inverter? The manual explains how to set up the inverter to use it. There is a circuit breaker on the back. You may want to check that. The manual shows a cord going into the inverter. Are you taking off the access cover to measure output? The problem has to be the inverter output because the pass threw and inverter output come out on the same cord. Can you read 120vac on same wires when on shore power? If so check your meter close to make sure there isn't a decimal you are missing when reading 116vac such as .116 or 1.16. I would check the breaker also. If you have the manual it explains it all. If you don't you can download it from the manufactures site.
dave1650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge