Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 06:14 PM   #1

Residential Fridge won't turn off

We have a 2020 Rockwood 2612WS. It has a residential fridge. There is no "off" switch inside the fridge. We have tried turning it to zero. When we unplug our camper, it pulls from the battery. If we pull the fridge breaker, it doesn't turn off. If we turn off the battery, the inverter continues to run and the fridge continues to run. The only thing we have been able to do is pull the fridge plug inside the outside storage. Or turn off the inverter.
And when plugged into shore power, the inverter continues to run.
Is there an easier way to turn off the fridge when not camping?
And why doesnt the inverter turn off when plugged to shore power? The inverter model is WF-5110R by WFCO.

Thanks for any advice!
Kathy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:21 PM   #2

my fridge if you turn the temp dial down all the way it turns off. I also turn the invertor off. No issue if it runs when you are on shore power. Get a battery disconnect or pull your negative when not using it to stop battery draw
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:23 PM   #3

Yeah I have been dialing down to zero and the battery disconnect is what we are turning off from outside storage. Was hoping ther was something inside fridge maybe I was missing. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #4

Need make and model number of refrigerator. It should turn off if turned to zero temp. But don't know without knowing what kind of refrigerator.

The inverter should have an on/off switch. If not, it isn't hurting anything to be left on. It will supply power when needed, and just be a passthrough when not needed.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...al-updated.pdf

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:33 PM   #5

Fridge is an Insignia Model NS-RTM12SS7-C
Old 07-21-2019, 06:35 PM   #6

When we turn to zero shouldn't the fridge light also turn off. It does not
Old 07-21-2019, 06:39 PM   #7

Don't know. Here is User Guide to download:

https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp...M18SS7/5161200

Page 18 says to turn it off, you have to unplug it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:40 PM   #8

Lol. That is what my husband is doing right now! Thanks anyway!!
Old 07-21-2019, 06:50 PM   #9

Your inverter is working as designed. If you want to turn it off, press the button on the front of the inverter. This turns it completely off and your fridge will only work when plugged into shore power.

When the inverter is on it will operate the fridge when shore power is not present. When it is on and shore power is supplied the inverter will switch to “stand by mode”. In this mode the shore power is just passed through the inverter. If, for any reason, the shore power is interrupted or you disconnect it, the inverter will automatically switch out of stand-by and keep your fridge running.

I just turn my inverter off when I don’t want it to run the fridge by pushing the on/off button on the front of the inverter.

When I get ready to tow my trailer I turn the inverter on. Once set up at camp or back at home with shore power connected, I turn my inverter. I sometime leave my inverter on when camping to keep fridge running if shore power should go away.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:51 PM   #10

Most folks complain about fridge not cooling, just turn off inverter or if that fails unplug it
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:55 PM   #11

Arrow

turning a fridge's temp down does not 'technically' turn it off, or turn anything like the light inside off, as this only serves to turn up the 'temperature' setting so that it never has a call to come on.
You can easily trip the breaker for the fridge's circuit.
Or you can trip your Main Breaker.
Or you can unplug it.
and, you can also unscrew the light bulb.

as for the inverter, and depending on the make/model, AND how your fridge is wired to it - whether directly, or thru a sub-panel thru the main panel, the Inverter simply continues to 'pass thru' 120v power to everything attached/wired to it when you are on Shore Power or Generator power(if you have an onboard generator)... that's it job, just as well as to 'make' 120v power from the batteries when you don't have either of those other power sources.

enjoy... ! : )

If you disconnect your batteries, your Inverter will no longer 'work'.
If you are plugged into shore power, then leave everything as is, even the fridge, just turn the temp control to the point where it doesn't 'need' to cool very often. Most residential fridges are designed to run for MANY YEARS, without ever having 'no power', so having one in an RV is no different, whether you keep food stuffs in there, or not.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:55 PM   #12

Lol. That is what my husband was just doing right now!

Found it. It says "turn it to zero and unplug."
Also our dial is only 1 thru 5. No zero.

He says screw it. He will wire a switch into the outlet. Ha!

Thanks anyway!!
Old 07-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #13

Also, the fridge breaker just breaks the shore power that runs to the inverter. The ac just passes thru the inverter, always.

If inverter is on, and connected to shore power, the ac just passes thru it. If the ac power is interrupted either by an ac outage or throwing the breaker, the inverter switches in to supply ac from the battery.

If the inverter is switched off(front panel push button) the ac still passes thru the inverter. If the shore power goes away with the inverter off then fridge turns off.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:58 PM   #14

Thanks all.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy22 View Post
Lol. That is what my husband is doing right now! Thanks anyway!!
In our electrical panel there is s breaker marked refrigerator. I turn that off and the the fridge is off.
Doug Eichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Eichel View Post
In our electrical panel there is s breaker marked refrigerator. I turn that off and the the fridge is off.
If the inverter is also off? On my 33IK the breaker just kills the ac that runs to the inverter and passes thru. If I turn the fridge breaker off and the inverter is still on via the pushbtton on the front panel (or some units may have a remote on/off inside there RV) the fridge will keep running via the inverter which will sense the loss of shore power.

OP, i forgot to ask if you have a remote location inside your RV for the inverter on/off? If not sure. Look on the back of your inverter and see if you see what looks like a phone connection wire leading into your unit.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:18 PM   #17

If you have your camper plugged up when in storage or can plug it up I’d leave the fridge on. I believe that a lot of the problems people have with residential type fridges are from letting them sit for extended periods of time not running. They are made to run for 24/7 for years and years. Without opening it they use very little electricity. I’ve heard a lot of people say they have problems with them but I never had any problems with mine and loved it . We just traded for a new camper and it has a gas /elec fridge I already miss the residential fridge but we loved everything else about the new rig and didn’t let it be a deal breaker. I also leave my thermostat set on about 85 I think it is better to keep it from getting 120 inside especially with canned food and stuff in the cabinet . We like to leave as much as possible loaded and ready to go. I really can’t tell on the power bill and I fell it is protecting my investment. May be a bad idea but it’s working for me .
Sfgoble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge