Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #1

Residential Refrigerator

rroberts posted a question about a res. ref. I decided to elaborate on info for them. First off a TT with a residential ref. (Ours is a 2019 Rockwood 8332BS), will have 2 batteries to supply power for ref. and other 12 volt items in TT. TT will always have a converter to provide 110 to ref. while traveling. Keep in mind that the converter is pass through. in other words, when you have shore power, it passes through the converter. When hooked up to shore power, you can turn the converter off to keep heat/noise down. An important warning though. Ours is wired so that if the converter is powered up, that 110 is provided to ref. even if the breaker that provides 110 is in the off position in the breaker panel. Don't ask, all I know is that's how it works in our TT. Only reason I discovered it, was we were shutting stuff down after a trip. Non the less I flipped the breaker in the off position and opened doors to dry out ref. and noticed it was still on. I realized I hadn't turned the converter off. Also to note is that the breaker in panel provides power to outlets in TT. They power down when shore power is disconnected. Tech. at trailer sales informed me that we needed to cool the ref. down before going on trip, so that the ref. draws less power out of batteries.

In an added note to this type of ref. This ref. has 2 top doors with a freezer door on the bottom. It comes with a threaded knob to hold doors closed while traveling. The problem with ours, was the threaded nut that was attached to the door frame, was attached with double sided stick tape. We're from the south and DW loves to cook, so on the maiden trip, she makes a big bowl of red beans and rice, along with big bowl of potato salad. anyway we get to our destination and there they were upside down in the cushion or dinette. Called tech. at dealer and he told me it was a common problem. He told me they use epoxy to re-attach plate. I didn't like that idea, so called manufacture and talked to them about the problem and asked if I could use shallow screws to attach plate. they said I could, being there is just a metal frame in the area where plate attaches. Drilled holes through plate and frame of ref. and used stainless steel screws. Problem solve. Hope this helps others.
jimla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #2

That is more then likely an Inverter/Converter you have. So as not to confuse, converters make 12 volts from 120 volts and inverters make 120 volts from 12 volts and there are combination units that do both.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimla View Post
Ours is wired so that if the converter is powered up, that 110 is provided to ref. even if the breaker that provides 110 is in the off position in the breaker panel.

This is because the Converter does not actually pass thru the120VAC. When connected to shore power or generator, 120VAC is delivered to the main breaker on the distribution panel and then to the individual breakers. Unless the main breaker is turned off 120VAC will be delivered to the inverter which will sense it and pass it to the fridge. If the main breaker is shut off, the inverter will sense it and turn on and provide inverter generated 120VAC to the fridge.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator