Old 06-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
Part-Time

RockWood 2618 Ultra V Heater

I have a 2017 2618 Ultra V that had a furnace problem that took months to get fixed because of Forest River's warranty program. When I took possession of my new trailer last year out first campout was Memorial Day on the Thompson River in Montana. It gets cool there at night and I thought the trailer took too long to warm up which is important when you are dry camping. I fought with FR and the dealer for a year before we finally reached a resolution which was to replace the air plenum below the furnace. The shape of the plenum was causing heat to be reflected back to the furnace and causing the overtemp switch to trip. The furnace would come on and the burner would be on for around 2.5 minutes and be off for 1.5 minutes while the furnace fan ran constantly using up my batteries. FR kept saying there was nothing wrong with the design and refused to warranty a fix. Suburban was very supportive and supplied another furnace for testing purposes and when that didn't fix the problem the dealer brought in a HVAC supplier who built a new plenum from the dealers design and now the furnace works properly. I just want to let other 2618 V owners know that if you don't think your furnace is heating your trailer as fast as you would like it may not be just your imagination. FR doesn't want to deal with this so you will have to do some testing yourself.
This is a sort version of a long story.
Best of Luck, dealing with FR you will need all you can get.
mwtracht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Thanks for posting your story and the solution.

Any chance you have pictures of the before/after plenum build so we all can see the difference in design? It's great when we all can learn.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
Part-Time

Sorry, no pictures. They made the plenum longer and deeper and curved the leading edge to help move the heat away from the furnace. The factory plenum met the minimum requirements of I believe 56 SQIN of opening as called for by Suburban but was so shallow that heat reflected back to the overtemp sensor. My trailer has 5 vents and they added another that just dumps heat under the floor. It's a 30K furnace and has enough capacity to handle the trailer as long as we can keep the burner lit. The burner is pretty quiet and it's hard to tell when it is cycling if you don't pay strict attention. I used a meat thermometer to monitor it and then the cycle became very obvious. Two steps forward and one step back. At an RV show in January we saw a larger Flagstaff V that was outside with the furnace on and it was heating just fine so this problem may not apply to any model but mine. I'm just saying if it seems like your furnace is performing poorly check it out. FR was adamant that there was nothing wrong with the build.
mwtracht is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, rockwood