Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2021, 11:49 AM   #1

Rooftop AC runs ~15sec then shuts off

I'm having trouble finding the problem with my Dometic Penguin II AC. The fan starts and runs about 12 seconds then the compressor kicks in, runs about 3 sec and then both shut off. Repeats every 1-2 minutes.

I switched boards with the another AC unit and still not working. The other unit continued to work with no problems.

Called out a mobile RV Tech and he got dometic on the phone and ran through the recommended tests and found nothing. They had him bypass the board by connecting 3 wires together to make it run continuous. It ran and cooled. Dometic said it must be the board or thermostat. Doesn't sound right to me since I've already switched the boards and the other 2 ACs are working fine with same thermostat. Any suggestions.
smitwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I wish I could help but will pass along that we were camped next to someone in FL this winter with your same A/C and theirs did exactly the same.

It was annoying as hell to us (especially at night) and when I questioned them about this odd behavior, they said... "you ought to be in here!"

They had theirs looked at twice and were told nothing wrong!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:29 PM   #3

if you have a dometic thermostat - did you reset the thermostat? Seems there are all kinds of weird things happening when power is lost to the thermostat, if you don't reset it. If you've got the manual - look for "System reset procedure" - mine is on pg 19.

1. Make sure the CCC 2 thermostat is in the OFF mode.
2. Simultaneously press the MODE and ZONE buttons. The LCD will display “IniT” and all available zones.
3. Release the MODE and ZONE buttons.
4. Press the ON/OFF button to exit system set up.

Note - mine's a 2 zone thermostat. My system(s) behaved kind of weird until I did that. Still have a couple questions about the whole setup, but resetting seemed to make things better.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...ic154394_1.gif
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:16 PM   #4

tundrwd. Yes, I've reset it several times but no luck
smitwale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof