Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #1

Rpod 191 USB Charging Ports Not Working

We have a new R-pod 191 that has only been used on two trips. On the last trip the USB ports by the front door stopped working (and the light by the ports is off). Ideas?
MarcW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
Long time camper.

Check fuses. Shore power? Other 12 v stuff working?
Samtummo
samTummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #3

The fuses are good. the rest of the 12v power works fine. USB's don't work on either shore power or battery.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
Long time camper.

I would take the cover off and check the wires fitting on the back. Be sure to disconnect all power first, 12v and 120v.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by samTummo View Post
I would take the cover off and check the wires fitting on the back. Be sure to disconnect all power first, 12v and 120v.
X2. Ours quit after 6 months and the positive wire was loose and flapping around behind the wall.
bcmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:24 PM   #6
Long time camper.

Let us know if that works

Samtummo
Old 07-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #7

I checked the wires on the back of the dual USB port, and I can't see that they are disconnected. There's no screw connections on the back of the port, the 2 wires just go into the port. I removed the fuse box to look behind it for loose wires, but I couldn't see any loose wires. I'll check again tomorrow with a flashlight. Need a wiring diagram to see where the wires go... It worked fine the first several days, so it was originally hooked up.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcW View Post
I checked the wires on the back of the dual USB port, and I can't see that they are disconnected. There's no screw connections on the back of the port, the 2 wires just go into the port. I removed the fuse box to look behind it for loose wires, but I couldn't see any loose wires. I'll check again tomorrow with a flashlight. Need a wiring diagram to see where the wires go... It worked fine the first several days, so it was originally hooked up.
You can search this forum for this issue and you’ll find that the stock USB outlets are poor quality/underpowered and commonly fail. Ours did on our first major camping trip after buying it new. Replaced with a BlueSea unit as recommended. Cheaper stuff available on Amazon but you may end up replacing again.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #9

I upgraded to these...much better and have qualcomm quick charge. While it will charge it Doesn't quick charge for you iphone fanboys and girls but it is 2.4A instead of .5 or 1A that FR installs.

This is one of the few that does not draw power when nothing is plugged into it and also does not light up.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QZZP2PT..._h6qdFbX6TSQQ2

I put one in my sons truck and one to replace the trailers usb port. Two screws and snip splice and crimp the wire and done.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:34 PM   #10
Long time camper.

Check the voltage in the wires with a poke pin volt tester before buying a replacement or further investigation. Just as a precaution.
Samtummo
Old 07-14-2020, 07:43 PM   #11

I checked with a multimeter for 12v power in the lead wires, and there is power so I ordered a new USB port. Thanks for all the help!!

Tags
charging