Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #1

Running ac on 110volts

Just a thought regarding running ac. What about starting generator to start the Ac then go to shore power 110 volts then turn off generator to run AC? Is that possible or not possible? I relies is proper to run AC on 30amp.
K Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:47 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Without knowing for sure…….I’m going to say you can’t go from the generator to shore power without a loss of power while the transfer takes place, and therefore the air conditioner, and anything else A.C. powered, would shut down.

I’ll bow to the experts.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:48 PM   #3
llr

I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish but even if you can switch from gen to shore without disrupting the air. The air will still cycle in normal operation so starting on shore power.

What are you trying to do?

What do you have for shore power? What are the issues with it? If you have a choice you are almost always better off with shore power then a generator.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Forbes View Post
Just a thought regarding running ac. What about starting generator to start the Ac then go to shore power 110 volts then turn off generator to run AC? Is that possible or not possible? I relies is proper to run AC on 30amp.
Can you describe why you are trying to do this?
Might help understand what you want to accomplish.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:19 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish but even if you can switch from gen to shore without disrupting the air. The air will still cycle in normal operation so starting on shore power.

What are you trying to do?

What do you have for shore power? What are the issues with it? If you have a choice you are almost always better off with shore power then a generator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco_Joe View Post
Can you describe why you are trying to do this?
Might help understand what you want to accomplish.
My guess is they're trying to plug into a 15amp household outlet and the in-rush of current for starting the compressor is tripping the breaker in the house.

OP's idea is to start-up the compressor on generator power and then let the A/C run using 15amp power from their house.

--

All that said, I know the automatic transfer switch can transfer hot loads like that. But I feel it's rough on them and prefer to shut things down before switching from one power source to another.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #6
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
All that said, I know the automatic transfer switch can transfer hot loads like that. But I feel it's rough on them and prefer to shut things down before switching from one power source to another.
Also that won't address the cycling, it would only handle the initial start
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:15 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
Also that won't address the cycling, it would only handle the initial start
I wondered about that as I wrote it but didn't want to speak out of turn.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:07 AM   #8

Quote:
My guess is they're trying to plug into a 15amp household outlet and the in-rush of current for starting the compressor is tripping the breaker in the house.

OP's idea is to start-up the compressor on generator power and then let the A/C run using 15amp power from their house.

--

If this is the case, the best solution, IMHO, would be to install a soft start and ensure minimal voltage drop by using an adequate extension cord.

Cheers!
CivEngPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
My guess is they're trying to plug into a 15amp household outlet and the in- that said, I know the automatic transfer switch can transfer hot loads like that. But I feel it's rough on them and prefer to shut things down before switching from one power source to another.
The ATS must interrupt the AC power supply completely, even if only for a fraction of a second. This is to avoid connecting mismatched phases of AC which could cause an electrical explosion.

The only way to truly transfer AC electrical loads while hot is to monitor the phase rotations of both AC power sources and adjust one until it matches the other one, then the AC power sources could be combined. That's how inverter generator parallel connections work - one generator is the master and sets the phase rotation frequency and the parallel circuit adjusts the frequency of the second generator acting as slave until it matches the master and then combines the two.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

The OP hasn’t been back since originally posting.
Maybe it’s not that important after all.

Stand down and relax.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

Stand down and relax.
You know people other then the OP can benefit from informational discussions. I can't count how many times I've read or seen something that did not apply to me then, but years later I found myself needing that useful information.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:23 AM   #12
Commercial Member

At 15 or even 20 amps not much can be used, the refer will take about 8 amps, and the a/c unit can use anywhere from 10-20 amps. So on a 15 amp power supply its already at the load threshold. Here is a little chart with wattage and amperages that might prove useful. I know Berkshires utilize the residential refrigerators, and that particular coach is happy using 50 amp, but can power some appliances while connected to 30A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Appliance wattage ratings .jpg
Views:	62
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	263340  
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivEngPE View Post
If this is the case, the best solution, IMHO, would be to install a soft start and ensure minimal voltage drop by using an adequate extension cord.

Cheers!
Actually, I think the best option would be to install a 30 or 50amp outlet.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

Stand down and relax.
Oh my...they have been off line for almost 24 hours. Call in the FBI...
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoulter View Post
Oh my...they have been off line for almost 24 hours. Call in the FBI...
No need to call the FBI, they are likely already monitoring anyway!

We do hope you found your answer here, though.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Forbes View Post

Im just curious as to why you would want to do that
Old 09-27-2021, 01:31 PM   #17

[QUOTE=CivEngPE;2638656]If this is the case, the best solution, IMHO, would be to install a soft start and ensure minimal voltage drop by using an adequate extension cord.

If the intent of the OP is to stop a breaker from tripping, I agree fully with installing a soft start for more reasons than just that one.

It's also possible that the OP isn't using a dedicated breaker/outlet, such that other household electrical loads are sharing that breaker and even adding a soft start might not be a solution. If using a shared circuit, find one that has almost no other loads and try plugging into that one, with as heavy gage an extension cord as you can obtain.

Tags
110v