Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #1

Running refrig off inverter?

Sorry new to 2 function 120V / propane refrigerator. Noticed in some threads talking about running off propane while towing. However, when not plugged in to shore power I turned on the inverter and noticed the refrig seemed to start on auto. I didn't try long - I don't know how long the battery would last. But while towing wouldn't the tow vehicle supply sufficient power to not affect the battery? If so, why would anyone suggest running off propane if the camper is equipped with an inverter? (This is for No Boundaries 19.1) Thanks - sorry I didn't ask salesman more questions.
ChoreFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoreFanatic View Post
Sorry new to 2 function 120V / propane refrigerator. Noticed in some threads talking about running off propane while towing. However, when not plugged in to shore power I turned on the inverter and noticed the refrig seemed to start on auto. I didn't try long - I don't know how long the battery would last. But while towing wouldn't the tow vehicle supply sufficient power to not affect the battery? If so, why would anyone suggest running off propane if the camper is equipped with an inverter? (This is for No Boundaries 19.1) Thanks - sorry I didn't ask salesman more questions.
Not many RVs have 2-way fridges AND an inverter.
Usually only those with a residential fridge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #3
2012 Solera

I did set mine up so I can plug the (2 way) fridge into my 2000 watt inverter. I measured 27 amps of 12 volt DC current used when the fridge is running off the inverter.
I’m using a Renogy 20 amp dc-to-dc device to charge my house Battleborn batteries while driving. As the fridge probably typically runs 50% of the time, running the fridge off the inverter while driving, in my case, would leave about 7 amps (typically) for other 12 volt usages and for house battery charge. I prefer to run the fridge on propane (unless prohibited) and get more house battery charge.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:01 PM   #4

You have to determine the capability of YOUR fridge before asking questions.
I looked at the NoBo 19.1 brochure and found no reference to what fridge your model came with. As Bikendan stated, 2-way fridges are not often dealer delivered with an inverter to run the fridge when off the grid. A propane powered fridge only needs 12VDC to run the fridge circuit board, and very little DC power, so why pull huge amounts of power from the batteries running an inverter to power it at 120VAC?

Many propane/120VAC (2-way) fridges have made way for 12VDC only fridges in newer models. These 12VDC only models have higher internal capacity at a slightly lower dealer cost, but the downside is that they have fairly high energy consumption for 12VDC batteries, so these models often are coupled with a solar system or at least a solar-ready trailer.

What fridge do you have?

Larger trailers have 120VAC ONLY models that will run off an inverter ( 12VDC to 120VAC). Those trailers often have on-board generators, lots of solar and upgraded batteries to power that energy hog.

Chances are your running tow vehicle will only supply minimal power to your trailer, unless you have done an upgrade to your vehicle wiring to support a larger charge current from TV to trailer.

If you pack your fridge cold, it will typically stay cold during a day of driving like a good cooler, if it is not 90+ degrees outside.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
I did set mine up so I can plug the (2 way) fridge into my 2000 watt inverter. I measured 27 amps of 12 volt DC current used when the fridge is running off the inverter.
I’m using a Renogy 20 amp dc-to-dc device to charge my house Battleborn batteries while driving. As the fridge probably typically runs 50% of the time, running the fridge off the inverter while driving, in my case, would leave about 7 amps (typically) for other 12 volt usages and for house battery charge. I prefer to run the fridge on propane (unless prohibited) and get more house battery charge.
In addition, what's more efficient, fridge running on propane or a V8 engine turning an alternator which is then running a DC to DC converter which is then running an inverter and that is running an electrical heating element?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:25 AM   #6
Salty Senior

Hi Chore, I will be picking up my 19.5 soon. My plan is to have the dealer install two 100AH LiFePo4 batteries and a 1500 or 2000W Sine inverter/charger + 320W of Solar. The charge capacity of the 7 way trailer plug is rated at 30A @12v. The standard FLA or AGM battery does not have the usable AH to support the refrigerator for a long trip. Dometic's newer 12V compressor refrigerators use much less power than absorption and we would get 8 cu' in the same space of the 6 cu'!!
Gene
Captain Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gene View Post
The charge capacity of the 7 way trailer plug is rated at 30A @12v.
Unless you install a DC to DC converter and upgrade the size of the wire from the battery to the 7 pin connector, you will never see 30A. You won't even see 5A.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:17 PM   #8

test - I was blocked from sending earlier...I have a message ready. Testing before I try to send.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoreFanatic View Post
My Jayco TT has a Dometic Gas/Electric refrigerator. The switch on the refrigerator has basically three settings - Off, Auto and Gas. When on Auto it will run on Electric when on shore power and Gas when not. When on Gas it only runs on Gas whether or not connected to shore power. Want to keep it on Gas even when using a generator to supplement my battery when boondocking with TT. Of course Off is Off .

Looks like you might be a newbie (just by your question and new TT), so you may be confused thinking that your converter is an inverter (which it is not). Like mentioned in another post generally inverters are only installed in larger units that have a residential refrigerator like in my 5th wheel in my signature.

By the way, WELCOME to the Forest River forum.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter