Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2022, 07:04 AM   #1

RV Safe CO/LP alarm issues

(I looked at some older posts on this, but exactly find an answer)

Our RVsafe combination CO alarm (defitely CO-not LP) went off periodically on a multi day trip last week. We were not using the heater. The battery is fine (several times it went off while plugged in to shore power). It did not go off while we were using the stove. (only gas burning appliance we used). No pets.

The only way to make it stop was to shut off power to the alarm then it would reset. Just got back and I am starting to look for a solution.

Sometimes this was at night, sometimes middle of the day, twice while driving, a couple times after being in the campsite for two days.

I did not think to check the date on the alarm and will do that later. This is a new camper we bought in April.

I think it must be faulty.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:21 AM   #2

What year is your rv. If the unit is over 10 years old the co and smoke detectors should be changed.

I had a co unit do the same thing. The unit is faulty changed it out.

Smoke detectors and co units have a ten year life span.
Seabreazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreazer View Post
What year is your rv. If the unit is over 10 years old the co and smoke detectors should be changed.

I had a co unit do the same thing. The unit is faulty changed it out.

Smoke detectors and co units have a ten year life span.

Old 07-02-2022, 09:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipntdot View Post
I would get it replaced under your warranty. From what you said in your post it is faulty. From your description of when it goes off unless you have a co source that is venting into your unit it is faulty. I have seen faulty units straight from the detector manufactures be defective from them. I change these units for customers in s&b all the time and have come across several faulty units from time to time.
Seabreazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:29 AM   #5

First, don't assume that the alarm is faulty. Is it giving off an ear piercing sound?

That RVsafe combination CO alarm is a combination CO and PROPANE, so either can be setting it off. A low battery can also cause it to go off even if you're plugged into shore power. (voice of experience here).
Have you used any strong cleaning products, have a large dog, used hair spray, any other source of a gas that could set it off? Even sewer gas can set them off.
Is it located near your hot water heater? Several posters have reported having trouble with alarms located near their hwh.

When it goes off, open up the trailer, and try fanning air in front of the alarm to shut it off. It only takes a small amount of CO or Propane to set these off.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:43 AM   #6

The normal life span on those is about 5 years though ours lasted 7 years. It started by chirping every 30 seconds and would stop for three days after resetting during the first month. After that it would no longer respond to the reset. We also triggered the alarm after a burner knob got nudged slightly. Easy replacement. Red and black power wires and may also have two white wires going to a solenoid on our propane tank.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:57 AM   #7

This is a brand new camper and if the OP can't find the problem, I agree with Seabreazer, it needs to go to the dealer for warranty work.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
First, don't assume that the alarm is faulty. Is it giving off an ear piercing sound?

That RVsafe combination CO alarm is a combination CO and PROPANE, so either can be setting it off. A low battery can also cause it to go off even if you're plugged into shore power. (voice of experience here).
Have you used any strong cleaning products, have a large dog, used hair spray, any other source of a gas that could set it off? Even sewer gas can set them off.
Is it located near your hot water heater? Several posters have reported having trouble with alarms located near their hwh.

When it goes off, open up the trailer, and try fanning air in front of the alarm to shut it off. It only takes a small amount of CO or Propane to set these off.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

The alarm is located by the entry door. The water heater is on the back of the trailer and not close to the door--also have only been using it on electricity. No dog. Definitely a CO alarm and quite loud (propane alarm gives a different signal pattern which did go off once with an aerosol lysol being sprayed). Battery is new and has always been kept charged---still may be a possibility but there has been no indication that it has an issue. Can't rule out sewer gas, but have not noticed any problems there otherwise. I definitely plan on contacting the dealer on Tuesday when they are open. They have been helpful and already corrected a fresh water tank fill issue.

We did use some deepwoods off and wonder if that could have started the problems, but the alarm has gone off a few times since even when no combustion appliances are being used and the tanks are off.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:42 AM   #9

Hmmm.... you do have a puzzle. Since CO is heavier than air and you're not suffering from headaches, either the alarm is detecting co on the air currents or perhaps it's defective. It's best to use spray products outside. Some have reported that products like hair spray can set off these alarms.
Now First Alert advises trying to vacuum or use compressed air to get rid of dust that might have accumulated on the sensor. Since it's located near a door, dust is a possibility.
Contacting your dealer is a good idea. Whatever this is, you need to get it covered under warranty.
Please let us know how this is solved.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:16 PM   #10

Detectors are cheap...way cheaper than a trip to the ER or worse.
Best practice is NEVER assume your detector(s) are faulty until AFTER you've replaced them and the new detectors don't trigger. Then you know the old ones were bad.
Chances are higher that something dangerous is setting it off than that it isn't working. Replace it ASAP.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFD47 View Post
Detectors are cheap...way cheaper than a trip to the ER or worse.
Best practice is NEVER assume your detector(s) are faulty until AFTER you've replaced them and the new detectors don't trigger. Then you know the old ones were bad.
Chances are higher that something dangerous is setting it off than that it isn't working. Replace it ASAP.
I quite agree and am on it. My main quandary was that it happened when literally no combustion was happening anywhere in/around the camper. Thanks for the post.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:55 PM   #12

Update:

Took trailer to dealer. They checked systems. Changed detector.
Old 07-10-2022, 05:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Update:

Old 07-10-2022, 05:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Update:

Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully your next trip will be quieter.