Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #1

Rv Satellite

DW and I pick up our new flagstaff 629rkss on Oct, 9 and have spent 13 nights in it so far. We went through some wind and rainstorms and so far everything is working perfectly. Does anyone have any idea about what is out there for an RV sattelite system (dish, etc.) and what tyope of dish to get, whether atomatice or the standard dish that mounts on a tripod. Just looking for ideas.
nazrev87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #2

depends on what service you have and what features/channels you want to recieve.....you should do a search.....just last month alone i think we have addressed about 10 dish/satellite issues...myself included..

good luck...!
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #3

We have the Dish Tailgater. It lightweight, portable, easy to use, and finds the satellites automatically. We’re happy with it. The only drawback is the initial cost of the unit…not cheap.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #4

We have a DirecTV dish on a tripod, picked up the kit for less that $100 on ebay. Works great, usually takes less than 5 minutes to setup.
huizarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #5

You have two different views from the two posts. The portable ones, the Tailgater is $600 or more and you must have Dish to get HD TV. Many people get those dishes from ebay for very little and they work for them, you must find the settings
to get TV. I am in your boat, still looking and am leaning toward the Tailgater or the new on, forgot the name. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #6

Actually the Tailgater is $499 with both the antenna and receiver. The basic service package is $34.99 a month and that includes both HD and local stations. They also offer pay-as-you-go service that allows you to suspend service while your RV in in storage.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #7

I wonder if anyone has pursued the opportunity to use a wireless internet ready DVD player to access Netflix and Amazon videos over the CG wifi.

Usually I can find something to watch on one of those services, at least for the kids if not me.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee
I wonder if anyone has pursued the opportunity to use a wireless internet ready DVD player to access Netflix and Amazon videos over the CG wifi.

Usually I can find something to watch on one of those services, at least for the kids if not me.
Where I live most cg's don't have WiFi and if they do there's 100 people on it dragging it down so bad it's worthless.

It costs me 7.00 a month to have dish in my camper.
Recycled dish / free
Recycled tripod / free
Setup time. / minimal
Enjoyment. / priceless

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
We have the Dish Tailgater. It lightweight, portable, easy to use, and finds the satellites automatically. We’re happy with it. The only drawback is the initial cost of the unit…not cheap.

i got my tailgater from a local dish dealer for 339 i probably c ould have done a little better on ebay but like to support the locals
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee

We have done this a couple times when CG wifi is available except we stream it from our iPod or can stream it from iPhone but would have to use our Internet. There are adapters you can plug in from the iPod to the gaming center on your tv. Picture was a little fuzzy so I think our setting were off.

On another note with the Netflix advantage our son who is away at college uses it all the time too as he is a poor college student without cable. Never knew how many uses it would serve when we signed up 2 years ago!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #11

Our 2012 VCross Superlite has two connections marked "Satellite" but only one will actually pass a satellite signal. Working as designed, according to Forest River. Once you are used to DVR service, not being able to record one show and watch another is really annoying. I bought a single-wire system that will feed two HD DirecTV signals over the one input. I splurged ($150) for a Tracker Lite meter to make alignment super easy with a slimline dish and cheapo tripod. I use a DVR from home, so I don't pay any additional subscription fee.

We can also Netflix over our VZ 4G hotspot feature (when we're in 4G territory, not yet common when in the boonies), but it really eats data packages in a hurry.
ProjectPro is offline   Reply With Quote