Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2022, 04:37 PM   #1

RV TV-Radio-WiFi Ranger

This is going to be a long post. I hope I can get some understanding and then a recommendation.

We have 2022 Flagstaff ePro19FD. It has the following:
  • IRV36 Radio
  • Furrion FDF22A0A TV
  • Wineguard Wifi Ranger HD

The WiFi Ranger can act as an antenna for the radio and TV. However it is also the power source for the TV. There is a red cable that plugs into the "Wineguard" wall plate on one end and plugs into the "DC Power" port on the TV. If I unplug this from the TV, the TV won't power up. The wall plate has a push button switch with a green LED. When the switch is on, the LED is on, and the TV will get OTA channels. If the switch is off the TV doesn't have any reception for OTA channels, yet the TV remains on. There is no other cable running from the wall plate to the TV. There is a male "F-Type" connection on this plate. I can find no "F-type" connection on the TV (male or female). There is an RCA connection for "Coax Out" but not in. The WiFi Ranger instructions for "HDTV & Radio" state that the switch (push button with green led per above) "toggles the Coax connection from the exterior Cable TV to the Teton HD Over-the-Air Antenna"

On the outside of the trailer, at the rear, grouped with the water connections is a connection marked "cable/satellite". On the inside of the trailer underneath 120VAC power plug is another wall plate with a male "F-type" connection. It is labeled "Satellite Connection from Receiver".

So we have one "F-type" male connection labeled "cable/satellite" on the outside of the trailer. We have (2) different "F-type" male connections on the inside of the trailer. One is labeled "Satellite Connection from Receiver" and the other is un-labeled but is on the same plate as a switch that "toggles the Coax connection from the exterior Cable TV to the Teton HD Over-the-Air Antenna". And finally we have a TV with a "Coax Out" RCA female jack but no "Coax In" jack anywhere.

Questions:
  1. How do you connect the satellite/cable to the TV and which of the (2) male "F-type" connection do you use?
  2. If the connection on the outside of the trailer and the connection on the inside of the trailer is nothing but terminations for a coax cable that runs between them, can this be utilized for other use cases? Such as hooking up an exterior MiMo Cell antenna to a cellular hotspot on the inside of the trailer? (So you don't have to run a wire from outside to inside because it is already there).
  3. The TV has an HDMI (ARC) IN connection. It had a HDMI cable connected to it that disappeared into the wall. I am assuming it connects to the IRV36. According to the IRV36 manual it has an HDMI "OUT" not an "IN". First if it is connected to the IRV36 what is the IRV36 sending to the TV that would be useful? If it is not connected to the IRV36 then what is it connected to? I have disconnected this from the TV and it doesn't seem to affect either the TV or the IRV36. Also note that I don't think it is using the ARC (Audio Return Channel of HDMI) as the TV has two speaker wires that run from L/R Audio Out to the IRV36 (I tested by unplugging from the TV and that stopped sound from coming out the ceiling speakers)
  4. There is a purple cable connected to the "RF IN" connection on the TV that disappears into the wall. Any idea what it is connected to and what it does?

I also have questions regarding the WiFi Ranger cellular capabilities and other aspects of cellular internet access that I will put in a separate post.

Any guidance, advice, explanations would greatly be appreciated.
Regards
Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220812_194227407.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	277849   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220812_194248082.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	277850   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220812_194251951.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	277851   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220814_165220039.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	277852  
cfrudolphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:00 AM   #2

In your photos, the purple cable is the coax carrying the antenna signal from the back of the wall plate to the TV. The red wire is 12v DC power only.

To connect a satellite dish and receiver you would connect the coax to the dish to the outside F connector marked satellite. On the inside you would connect a coax cable between the receiver and the F connector marked satellite. The receiver will have HDMI out which you would connect to the HDMI port on the TV.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:08 AM   #3

The only HDMI function on the IRV36 is passthrough from the front HDMI input to the output in the back. I am not sure if it will play audio from the front HDMI through the stereo speakers or not.

The coax between the two satellite F connectors should be one solid run of cable between the two jacks, you can use it for anything that uses coax cable: satellite, CATV in to the RV, signal out to an outside TV. With the proper adapters it could probably be used for external cell booster or WiFi antenna.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:10 AM   #4

Upgrade the IRV36 to a newer model with a DVD player and has HDMI ARC capability and you can get rid of the RCA audio cables.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:13 AM   #5

One last thing, the F connector on the wall plate with the button is carrying the exact same signal as the purple coax going to the TV. There is an internal splitter on the back of the wall plate. Normally the nearby TV is connected to F connector on the wall plate and that purple coax goes to outside or a bedroom for a second TV.
Old 08-18-2022, 01:19 PM   #6

NavyLCDR, thanks for your replies. Before I saw your replies I contacted Lippert/Furrion and they emailed me a user manual for the TV. Found out from that that the "RF" on the TV where the purple cable is connected was for Antenna. I assumed and you have confirmed that this purple cable connects to the Antenna on the other end.

So the two male "F-type" connectors (one outside and one inside) both marked "Satellite" is a straight run with nothing in between. The other "F-type" male on the "Wineguard" wall plate with the switch on it is connected to a splitter so you can run a Coax Cable to another TV. That is good to know! I doubt seriously I would use it as this is only a 20' trailer and only two "rooms", main room and bathroom. I don't really want a TV outside or in the bathroom.

Regarding the IRV36. First got a suggestion on a replacement? The TV had a built-in DVD player. Unfortunately it is not Blu-Ray compatible. Any other reasons besides DVD(and possible Blu-Ray) and HDMI ARC?

Also with the IRV36. It has one outside speaker which we never use and two inside speakers in the ceiling down towards our bed which is at the front of the trailer. The TV and IRV36 are mounted on the opposite end of the trailer over the dinette on the wall that separates the bathroom from the rest of the trailer. The TV is a 22" model and the sound from it by itself is terrible. If we put the IRV36 on "AUX" then the TV sound also plays through the ceiling speakers. The sound between the two is not "co-ordinated". So we have to balance the sound between the two.

The placement of the IR receiver and the terrible remote for the IRV36 makes it impossible to adjust anything with the remote from anywhere in the trailer other than standing right in front of it. So I guess my questions to you and or others would be:

What would you upgrade the IRV36 to?
What about an upgrade of the ceiling speakers? Any suggestions?
Have seen some stuff about "Sound Bars". Any experienc? Thoughts?

Sorry for my late response to your replies.

Thanks for your insight I really appreciate it.

Comments, advice, suggestions are much appreciated.

Regards
Chuck
cfrudolphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:40 PM   #7

From what you describe, I probably would not upgrade the IRV36 since you have the DVD player on the TV. I would look at a soundbar. You will have to figure out how to power it, but Furrion makes a 12 volt sound bar. I have an LG for my TV in my house, but it comes with a subwoofer and is 120v AC so it would be too much for a trailer.

Another option is the Bose SoundLink Color II bluetooth speaker(s). They are rechargeable, but you can also keep them plugged in. They also have a 3.5" minijack that you could plug in from your TV. They have awesome sound and the advantage is that they would be portable and you could use them outside with a cell phone or something else for music.

I have the IRV62 in my trailer. It has a standard DVD player. It runs from/to the TV with a single HDMI cable and my TV remote controls the volume and DVD player functions through HDMI CEC (and also my TV remote controls my KODI media player on a Raspberry Pi with a hard drive with 500 movies on it.)

I've heard you don't get much upgraded sound by just upgrading speakers, but just about any speaker you can fit in the round ceiling hole will work.

I would go with a 12v DC sound bar and you should be able to find 12v wiring to power it from behind the existing antenna wall plate.

Tags
radio, wifi