Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2022, 01:37 PM   #1

Safe-T-Alert Replacement

Afternoon.
In the middle of the night, we were awakened by an intermittent "beep" coming from our living room. It's the RV Propane Alarm. Apparently it needs to be replaced every 60 months, & since we bought this used, we had no idea what the expiration date was. I pulled the unit & it's dated Oct. 1 2016. The model # is 30-4420-P. I cannot find one locally (Tampa), even at an RV joint. There ARE a couple of local places that carry the 35 Series units. They are a little more costly, but are they plug-and-play interchangeable? Thanks.
BABBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:50 PM   #2

deleted...
Old 03-09-2022, 02:54 PM   #3

Just found this document, says the 35 is the same as the 30-442, it just has a CO alarm in addition to the Propane alarm.

"The Safe-T-Alert 35 series combination propane and CO alarm is a direct replacement for all Safe-T-Alert 30-442 and all CCI propane alarms that can be replaced with a 30-442 alarm. The 35 series is an ideal solution to replace both alarms with one easy to install product. Many older RVís have propane alarms but not CO alarms. The 35 series is the solution to add a CO alarm when replacing the propane alarm."

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...y2qgA2-X0ycL3T
Old 03-09-2022, 03:07 PM   #4

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2022, 09:33 AM   #5

I replaced my propane/carbon monoxide alarm with the Pangaea model that was a direct replacement for the Safe-T-Alert at half the price and much better reviews. So far it has worked great no false alarms and the date code was new when I purchased not already old like many of the Safe-T-units folks have received. Worth a look
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:41 AM   #6

The Pangaea models look to be smaller, from what Iíve found. Is there one thatís gonna fit the hole in our wall, without having to fabricate a backer plate to cover the gaps?
Old 03-10-2022, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I replaced my propane/carbon monoxide alarm with the Pangaea model that was a direct replacement for the Safe-T-Alert at half the price and much better reviews. So far it has worked great no false alarms and the date code was new when I purchased not already old like many of the Safe-T-units folks have received. Worth a look
What if the existing detector also controls a propane shutoff valve? Does Pangaea make a replacement that will control the valve?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABBS View Post
The Pangaea models look to be smaller, from what I’ve found. Is there one that’s gonna fit the hole in our wall, without having to fabricate a backer plate to cover the gaps?

Here is a link look at the fourth pic over it shows the different sizes I purchased the longer one even the mounting holes were the same as the Saft-T unit. As for having a propane shut off I have no idea maybe a search of the Pangaea web site would say.

https://www.amazon.com/PANGAEA-Propa...s%2C475&sr=8-5
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:12 AM   #9

An installation tip - - - if the detector is hard-wired in (mine was) take the time to crimp on insulated quick disconnects. It will make the next replacement much easier and quicker. I just did my second replacement and it was literally a five minute job with the quick connects I added last time. They are cheap and available everywhere - Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Walmart, Tru-Value.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 2022-03-10 at 08.00.53.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	269868  
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement