Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #1

Satellite Dish problem

I have a bought a 2013 Blue Ridge and when I hooked into a permanently mounted satellite dish, I am not able to view all the channels. I have ran a coax cable from the dish, to the trailer and then connected to the port mounted within one of the cubbies, then the reciever is connected with another coax cable. If I hook the coax cable from the dish directly to the reciever I have all my channels so it is something within the trailer. I have tried to connect the coax cable to each of the different ports with no results. Has anyone had this problem? I am the only camper in our campsite with this problem.
BlueRidge2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge2013 View Post
I have a bought a 2013 Blue Ridge and when I hooked into a permanently mounted satellite dish, I am not able to view all the channels. I have ran a coax cable from the dish, to the trailer and then connected to the port mounted within one of the cubbies, then the reciever is connected with another coax cable. If I hook the coax cable from the dish directly to the reciever I have all my channels so it is something within the trailer. I have tried to connect the coax cable to each of the different ports with no results. Has anyone had this problem? I am the only camper in our campsite with this problem.
It has to be plugged into the Satellite plug and then push the button in the trailer to disconnect the antenna.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Is the connection within the unit a dedicated satellite connection or are you running through the outside cable connection? I believe it has to be a dedicated satellite connection to receive all the stations. The power antenna circuit I think filters some of the channels. My 365saq has 2 outside satellite connections along with a park cable connection, and has seperate inside connections for tv/satellite.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #4

I have the coax cable plugged into the outside satellite connections and I have pushed the button on the antenna to disable that. My model also has the 2 outside satellite connections along with a park cable connection and 2 inside connections. I have tried connecting with every option available and I still can not recieve all channels unless I hook my coax cable directly to the reciever without routing it through the existing connections on the trailer. Any other ideas on what I can try?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My guess would be that either their is a loose/bad connection on an end or maybe the coax inside the unit is not of proper size for the channels you are missing. Not even sure if that would be an issue, just a guess.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

maybe try a cheap cable, with multiple splices, and plug directly into your receiver and see if you can duplicate the problem.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #7

Correctly if I'm wrong but isn't a permanetly mounted antenna DIRECTLY wired into and thru the trl with the cable coming out in the vic of the TV, and this is where you hook the sat box in? I thought that there was no need for addition wiring outside the trl at the dish/cable box?

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #8

I think the problem lies with the wiring in the trailer. It is probably using a basic cable splitter and not a satellite splitter. Same thing happened to me years ago at my house when I tried to use a cable splitter on a directv feed to power 2 receivers. Each receiver only showed half the channels.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

That's why you need an scs-2a diplexer
Standard on dish network with hd reciever.
http://www.montanasatellitesupply.co...A_p/ask118.htm

Direct tv may use something similar.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #10

today was the first time i hooked up my sat. dish on my Rockwood I hooked the outside cable to dedicated satellite connector outside hooked the reciever to the sat/aux inside I shut off the amp. no satellite signal nothing. I messed with it 3 hrs I got I ran the cable from the receiver out the window to the sat. dish took the tv off the mount hooked the receiver directly to the back of the tv in a couple minutes i had my satellite up and running.
Just one more thing screwed up on my yr old Rockwood that I will have to fix

https://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #11

mike54 could be a simple fix, they may have just accidently swapped the cable coax and the sat/aux coax. Open up the outside connection and not the coax colors, then remove the TV amp and not the coax colors there. Might be a simple swap op coax's.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp178 View Post
I think the problem lies with the wiring in the trailer. It is probably using a basic cable splitter and not a satellite splitter. Same thing happened to me years ago at my house when I tried to use a cable splitter on a directv feed to power 2 receivers. Each receiver only showed half the channels.

What is the solution? Do I have to run the cable from the dish directly to the reciever through a window. Is there anyway to find where the basic splitter is and change it to a satellite splitter. I would appreciate any information you can give me.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge2013

What is the solution? Do I have to run the cable from the dish directly to the reciever through a window. Is there anyway to find where the basic splitter is and change it to a satellite splitter. I would appreciate any information you can give me.
All my splitters were behind the entertainment center.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote