Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The RV has two coax "inputs" on the outside Cable and SAT.
I believe I only have one coax outlet at each of the TV locations. One in the living room below the TV where the booster is located, one in the ceiling in the bedroom, and one in my outside storage compartment. The one outside is a "non player" as I plan on running the RG6 directly to the receiver then HDMI from receiver to the back of TV while tailgating. But, once the DW and I decide to call it a night, she may want to watch TV either in the living room, or bedroom and I'm going to have to reconfigure the set up. Thanks for any advice.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I was thinking about that "satellite cable in" jack. It sure does sound like its made for that modulator output from the receiver to the other TVs. Do you have a "Cable" input on the outside your RV as well as the Sat input you connected the Tailgater to? If you do not, then my guess is that the "satellite cable in" is wired to the Cable Input port on your antenna booster control.
Attachment 38213

That would mean that it will distribute the modulator output to your other TV jacks only when the antenna booster control is OFF. You do know that you would have to re-scan for channels on the TV when you are trying to use the modulator output, right?
The outside of our RV has 2 inputs. There is a cover plate over the inputs, and above the cover on the frame there is a label that reads "Cable/Satellite." There are no labels under the cover itself, but we took that to mean cable is on the left and satellite is on the right, so it looks like we have dedicated wiring for each.

About re-scanning, we didn't get that far because the TV channel just had "snow," so we felt like we didn't have any kind of connection. Good reminder, though. Sometimes frustration takes over and you forget basic stuff like that.

Incidentally, hubby called our dealer yesterday, and the tech to whom he spoke went about saying to ignore most of the jacks in the entertainment center, LOL. I can't believe there would be all these complex jacks that don't "make up" to anything, however. Those old-style red, white, and yellow I don't really care about (unless one of the grandkids should want to hook something up. For example, I'm not sure about Xbox, etc., and what kind of connections they have). It just occurred to me that we didn't change the input on the TV when trying those, which I assume would be something like AV, etc., but, again, we were just fooling around at that point and weren't really thinking about using that as a long-term solution to view TV anyway. But that big one that slaps you in the face when you look at the entertainment center labeled "Satellite Cable In" does have me bumfuzzled.

However, it looks like we are good to go with the living room TV, and now we will set out to try to get the TV from the bedroom that we will hang on the exterior where the outdoor kitchen is working. There is an input there that is not labeled, but I understand that it may be solely for cable and won't work for satellite. If that happens to be the case in our trailer, we will just have to take the receiver outside and hope nobody who is beer-clumsy comes into close proximity with it, LOL. Jinx
glitelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
The RV has two coax "inputs" on the outside Cable and SAT.
I believe I only have one coax outlet at each of the TV locations. One in the living room below the TV where the booster is located, one in the ceiling in the bedroom, and one in my outside storage compartment. The one outside is a "non player" as I plan on running the RG6 directly to the receiver then HDMI from receiver to the back of TV while tailgating. But, once the DW and I decide to call it a night, she may want to watch TV either in the living room, or bedroom and I'm going to have to reconfigure the set up. Thanks for any advice.
It sounds like yours should be very easy then. The fact that there are no Sat outlets in the bedroom tells us that they didn't do you the disservice of installing splitters in your Sat line.

You just need to find the other end of that Sat "input" near your living room TV. It could be a 2nd coax outlet (marked Sat) on your booster control plate or an outlet all by itself. Plug the receiver into that. HDMI to the TV as you know. (BTW, if you've never used the "Park Cable" on your RV, it's not uncommon for them to swap the labels or cables between Sat and Cable. If you don't already know it works, you might want to pull the plates off outside to see what coax color is used on each and then make sure you've got the right color inside as well. The outside "Cable" input should be wired to the back of the booster control plate.)

Getting Sat to the bedroom is a little trickier. You could buy an HDMI splitter and run a new HDMI cable to the bedroom, but that may not be practical. (You can buy a wireless HDMI setup but that's lots of money.) If you will accept standard-definition TV in the bedroom, just use the modulator output on the back of the receiver and wire it to the existing cable going to your bedroom (for antenna/cable) as shown in red in this picture.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1449376758.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	38217

You can use an AB Switch to swap configurations easily if you prefer. (They even sell a version of that at Home Depot but I don't like it as well.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
It sounds like yours should be very easy then. The fact that there are no Sat outlets in the bedroom tells us that they didn't do you the disservice of installing splitters in your Sat line.

You just need to find the other end of that Sat "input" near your living room TV. It could be a 2nd coax outlet (marked Sat) on your booster control plate or an outlet all by itself. Plug the receiver into that. HDMI to the TV as you know. (BTW, if you've never used the "Park Cable" on your RV, it's not uncommon for them to swap the labels or cables between Sat and Cable. If you don't already know it works, you might want to pull the plates off outside to see what coax color is used on each and then make sure you've got the right color inside as well. The outside "Cable" input should be wired to the back of the booster control plate.)

Getting Sat to the bedroom is a little trickier. You could buy an HDMI splitter and run a new HDMI cable to the bedroom, but that may not be practical. (You can buy a wireless HDMI setup but that's lots of money.) If you will accept standard-definition TV in the bedroom, just use the modulator output on the back of the receiver and wire it to the existing cable going to your bedroom (for antenna/cable) as shown in red in this picture.
Attachment 38217

You can use an AB Switch to swap configurations easily if you prefer. (They even sell a version of that at Home Depot but I don't like it as well.)
Thank you, Sir. I am going to investigate this further tonight when I get home. I appreciate the advice on checking color concerning the cables. I haven't used the cable input since owning the rig. I will check that as well.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitelover View Post

The outside of our RV has 2 inputs. There is a cover plate over the inputs, and above the cover on the frame there is a label that reads "Cable/Satellite." There are no labels under the cover itself, but we took that to mean cable is on the left and satellite is on the right, so it looks like we have dedicated wiring for each.

About re-scanning, we didn't get that far because the TV channel just had "snow," so we felt like we didn't have any kind of connection. Good reminder, though. Sometimes frustration takes over and you forget basic stuff like that.

Incidentally, hubby called our dealer yesterday, and the tech to whom he spoke went about saying to ignore most of the jacks in the entertainment center, LOL. I can't believe there would be all these complex jacks that don't "make up" to anything, however. Those old-style red, white, and yellow I don't really care about (unless one of the grandkids should want to hook something up. For example, I'm not sure about Xbox, etc., and what kind of connections they have). It just occurred to me that we didn't change the input on the TV when trying those, which I assume would be something like AV, etc., but, again, we were just fooling around at that point and weren't really thinking about using that as a long-term solution to view TV anyway. But that big one that slaps you in the face when you look at the entertainment center labeled "Satellite Cable In" does have me bumfuzzled.

However, it looks like we are good to go with the living room TV, and now we will set out to try to get the TV from the bedroom that we will hang on the exterior where the outdoor kitchen is working. There is an input there that is not labeled, but I understand that it may be solely for cable and won't work for satellite. If that happens to be the case in our trailer, we will just have to take the receiver outside and hope nobody who is beer-clumsy comes into close proximity with it, LOL. Jinx
Yes, I think most of those inputs are for video game type connections to the TV and you would have to change the TV "source" settings to use them.

At some point you may have to pull the plate for the "Satellite Cable In" to try to see where the wire goes. I guess it might also go to the TV (but it's unusual to have multiple coax inputs on a TV).

See my post just above for suggestions on wiring up your bedroom TV for Sat.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Yes, I think most of those inputs are for video game type connections to the TV and you would have to change the TV "source" settings to use them.

At some point you may have to pull the plate for the "Satellite Cable In" to try to see where the wire goes. I guess it might also go to the TV (but it's unusual to have multiple coax inputs on a TV).

See my post just above for suggestions on wiring up your bedroom TV for Sat.
Thanks so much for your help. We'll definitely be referring to your suggestions when we get back out there to troubleshoot.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitelover View Post

In the picture that was posted, are there red,white $ yellow inputs in the pic below the TV? Do you have the same jacks in the bedroom? If you do, check living room for "input" red, white & yellow and I'd be willing to bet there are "output" red, white & yellow connections in the bedroom. Run line from back of 211K to "input", another set of composite cables from "output" to bedroom TV, put on appropriate input and wholla!! You have sat in the br. Albeit SD, it's better than nothing.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #28

Well, we're back from our trip to Bristol (great time BTW), and I just wanted to report back on how the Tailgater worked for us. Hubby decided to set it on the roof of the TT. No problem since it is so lightweight. Hooked one end of the supplied coax to the Tailgater and the other end to the outside jack marked "satellite." Hooked VIP 211K to main TV in living room with HDMI, just like we had tried at home. Never bothered to use an app to locate satellites--just turned on the TV, went through the "acquiring satellites" setup, and we were up and running in no time. We went about setting up everything else for the weekend and then decided to try moving the bedroom TV outside where there is a bracket to hold it (between the outdoor kitchen and the mount for the barbecue grill). There was a coax connection there, so we hooked one end of a coax cable to that and the other end to the 2nd TV. Then we went inside to the living room entertainment center and ran a coax from the back of the VIP 211K marked "TV out" and ran that to a coax connection that we knew was "made up" to the one where we hung the TV outside--we had tested continuity at home. With everything hooked up and both TVs on, we had a signal on both TVs (obviously the same channel). Everybody wanted to watch Fox Sports 1 anyway, so that was no big deal. This was what we had in mind when we bought the Tailgater.

Because we don't have Dish Network service at home, it was a little more expensive for 3 days than I personally would have liked to spend, but it certainly was nice to have, and hubby was convinced we couldn't live without it for tailgating purposes at the race campground. We are using the "pay-as-you-go" service, and it cost almost $78 with tax. Of course, we were entitled for the entire month of August, but we knew we would only be using it for this short trip and only signed up for the service the weekend before last.

I'm not sure we'll actually use it again until next year when we go to Darlington--same NASCAR scenario. If you already have Dish Network at home or if you use your TT more than we do in spots that don't have cable hookups, I think it would be great.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #29

Seems like most people don't really understand the "pay as you go" system, and I doubt that Dish has much incentive to clear up this confusion.

I haven't done this, but others have said they do it so please give it a try and report back.

While you have to *pay* for month at a time, you don't have to use it like that. Please immediately call Dish and tell them you want to disconnect your service. Using that "disconnect" word is very important. Don't let them talk you into putting it on-hold or any other words they choose to use.

The next time you are ready to use it (in a week or two or whenever), call them back and ask them to reactivate your receiver. You will have all of the month that you paid for still available, except for the few days you used this past weekend.

Clearly, doing it this way is going to make that $78 last a very long time.

(You got an RV-specific phone number for Dish in the Tailgater information package. Its best to use that number since they will know more about what's going on.)
Old 08-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Seems like most people don't really understand the "pay as you go" system, and I doubt that Dish has much incentive to clear up this confusion.

I haven't done this, but others have said they do it so please give it a try and report back.

While you have to *pay* for month at a time, you don't have to use it like that. Please immediately call Dish and tell them you want to disconnect your service. Using that "disconnect" word is very important. Don't let them talk you into putting it on-hold or any other words they choose to use.

The next time you are ready to use it (in a week or two or whenever), call them back and ask them to reactivate your receiver. You will have all of the month that you paid for still available, except for the few days you used this past weekend.

Clearly, doing it this way is going to make that $78 last a very long time.

(You got an RV-specific phone number for Dish in the Tailgater information package. Its best to use that number since they will know more about what's going on.)
Oh my gosh! I asked the rep specifically 3 different times about this. I asked if it had to be 30 consecutive days or did it go by the calendar month or just exactly how did it work, and, of course, she said when September rolls around, you service will be disconnected, and you'll have to pay again to have it started again. I am going to call ASAP, and thanks so much!!

Tags
satellite