Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2020, 10:05 PM   #1

satellite tv help please

HELP... Hi new to the forum. I just bought a Forest River Grey Wolf and it does not have satellite tv and is not pre wired for it. After too many hours of reading and getting too many tech answers and suggestions my brain is going to explode. I live in BC but also will be in the southern US from October through April next year. Where do I go to get satellite for an rv? I saw that Shaw direct is the only one that works in the US. If so, do I call Shaw? They seem to only deal with residential. Should I wait and install a US provider in the US ( I will be using it in summer in BC) I am not a techy at all. I do know that I want a dish on a tripod not roof mounted.
I am currently on Shaw direct for my home if that has any bearing or plays into the solution. Thanks Jim
jtsriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:00 PM   #2

I have used this website to allow me to purchase a tripod, and a second dish and take my DirecTV receiver from home and setup in FL in the winter. The website exists to help RV'ers to get satellite TV in the RV. The only downside is that I sacrifice my local Cincinnati channels when in FL. I think I could even get them with a phone call to DirecTV, but I don't want to deal with phone technicians...

https://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I have used this website to allow me to purchase a tripod, and a second dish and take my DirecTV receiver from home and setup in FL in the winter....

https://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/
www.tv4rv.com is the best place for anybody with an RV to go to get started with satellite. It’s not just a website. In fact, while their website is very good, their service on the phone is unmatched. They will assist you from beginning to end in a way you will understand. When I was getting started, they spoke with me at all hours of the day, every day of the week. They know what you need and they know how to explain to you how to use it. You just can’t go wrong by giving them a call.

Bruce
Old 09-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
www.tv4rv.com is the best place for anybody with an RV to go to get started with satellite. It’s not just a website. In fact, while their website is very good, their service on the phone is unmatched. They will assist you from beginning to end in a way you will understand. When I was getting started, they spoke with me at all hours of the day, every day of the week. They know what you need and they know how to explain to you how to use it. You just can’t go wrong by giving them a call.

Bruce
Thanks very much. I will call
Old 09-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #5

Does anyone know if I can use a US subscription to satellite in Canada? Same question, if I get satellite in Canada and go south to AZ will I still be able to watch it?
Old 09-27-2020, 12:46 PM   #6

Yes you can get the 3 western satellites form dish network in Calgary AB Canada. North of Calgary it gets spotty (curvature of the earth, line of sight). If you are a resident of Canada not sure if they will like it if you subscribe to Dish network or Direct TV.
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
Canadian Member

US satellite service isn’t legal in Canada due to CRTC Canadian-content rules.

Bell TV satellite used to work in Florida but I’ve heard it doesn’t anymore? There may be a reciprocal banning of Canadian satellite in the US? I don’t know anyone who uses Shaw satellite tv. I understand that if you are snowbirding in the US you may be able to get a temporary subscription to a US satellite provider to use while you’re down there, but obviously you’d have to buy their equipment. Hopefully another Canadian snowbird can chime in with their experience. There are several threads here on the forum discussing DirecTV vs. DISH network.

I have a tripod from TV4RV.com (heavy duty combo package) that I use with my Bell TV satellite dish. It works great and its very easy to setup with help from the SatFinder Lite app on my iPhone, but its a bit pricey.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #8
wjo

You can use shaw in the US but don't tell them where you are they will shut you down before you can turn it on. We used their service every winter never told them where we were if had problem used internet to fix. Worked very well .
wjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjo View Post
You can use shaw in the US but don't tell them where you are they will shut you down before you can turn it on. We used their service every winter never told them where we were if had problem used internet to fix. Worked very well .
X2
We purchased a larger Shaw dish 36". We were able to get Shaw direct in southern US Nevada, Arizona last year. The bigger dish makes it easier to find the satellites when you get south as the closer you get to the equator the further apart the line of site to the corresponding satellites. In Canada there isn't any problem getting reception. 3 years ago we went south with a standard Shaw dish and couldn't get all of our channels and the further south we went the worse it got.

We picked up a dish network system and the Wally dish. There wasn't any problem getting a subscription and getting it up and running. The basic subscription for Dish is only about $60.00 per month. Shaw is a lot more than that.
Hope this helps. If you need more info just message me.
Charlie, He doesn't know he is a dog
Peanut the cat
DonMcKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #10

satellite tv help please

Don't know if Shaw knows this but there are many snowbirds from Canada that carry their box with them to Cabo and get the service while there. They did have to get a larger dish though.
Chuck324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #11

Jim, I have been a Shaw subscriber for many years and we have travelled with our small elliptical dish and HD receiver with the upgraded (3 satelite) lnb as far south as Key West. I can't comment on the south western states. I use an in-line meter to find the correct birds whenever we set up. I use the spare tire from the trailer as a base, and I usually get the compass headings and elevation for the places that we are going to before we leave. There are lots of small apps for your phone that can get you the headings. Good luck with your travels, we won't be south until there is a vaccine. Ed
hollywood91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood91 View Post
Jim, I have been a Shaw subscriber for many years and we have travelled with our small elliptical dish and HD receiver with the upgraded (3 satelite) lnb as far south as Key West. I can't comment on the south western states. I use an in-line meter to find the correct birds whenever we set up. I use the spare tire from the trailer as a base, and I usually get the compass headings and elevation for the places that we are going to before we leave. There are lots of small apps for your phone that can get you the headings. Good luck with your travels, we won't be south until there is a vaccine. Ed
Where did you buy the dish and receiver or are you renting or ?
Old 09-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #13

Hi Jim, you say you are a Shaw Direct customer, how many receivers do you have in the house? You are allowed up to 5. But they are beginning to charge an extra fee if you want one for the trailer or a cottage. If you have a spare receiver in the house, look for a dish with the lnb at yard sales or possibly flea market. Then just take a spare from the house with you. If not, you can order directly from Shaw an additional receiver. If you have to order a complete set up including the dish and lnb, they will ask where its to be installed and tack on the extra monthly charge for a '2nd residence'. If you need more information pm me. Ed
hollywood91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood91 View Post
Hi Jim, you say you are a Shaw Direct customer, how many receivers do you have in the house? You are allowed up to 5. But they are beginning to charge an extra fee if you want one for the trailer or a cottage. If you have a spare receiver in the house, look for a dish with the lnb at yard sales or possibly flea market. Then just take a spare from the house with you. If not, you can order directly from Shaw an additional receiver. If you have to order a complete set up including the dish and lnb, they will ask where its to be installed and tack on the extra monthly charge for a '2nd residence'. If you need more information pm me. Ed
Hi great info. I have 2 in my house. I will definitely look for a dish etc and try it out using your method. Worst case I will get the price for package from shaw for RV in Canada I would message you but don’t know how yet lol. Working on figuring out this site.

Tags
lite, satellite