Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptillett View Post
The zip code doesn't have anything at all to do with what stations you will receive. Entering the zip code is only done to find out where to aim your dish from whatever location you are in at that time.

If you take a receiver out of your house and put it in your rig, you will ALWAYS get your home stations. We've been all over, and never received anything but our local (at home) stations.
You Must not have went far from home then.
Your Locals are beamed at your home location only.
About a hundred mile radius from the town they pick to pull your locals from.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:09 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterrick View Post
Is your dish a round one with 1 LNB, or a 5 LNB oval. If the first is what you have, you will not get local channels at all. With a round dish you will only get low def programming from Satellite 101. If you have the full slimline oval dish with 5 LNB, you have to align it properly using the dithering technique so that you receive signals from all of the satellites. The high def and locals are all from satellites other than 101.

I have Directv and I get my actual home locals regardless of my location.
I guess I have one with 2 eyes on it and get locals in Concord and in FL, but not both at the same time, either one or the other.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:26 AM   #23

@Turbs...
100 miles only?
The satellites don't "beam" ANYTHING towards just a specific home location. They send out very broad (east to west) signals, from the south, towards the north. Which "local" channels you "pick up" via your dish, totally (and only) depends on which channels your receiver is set up to receive. If you take a receiver that has been set up to receive local channels from a particular area (because that is where you live), then those are the ONLY CHANNELS YOU SEE. THE CARD IN YOUR RECEIVER WAS ELECTRONICALLY PROGRAMMED TO PROCESS THOSE SIGNALS ONLY. You cannot change that without changing the card. This is mostly a theft deterrent and if you pay attention, you will see that the number of DTV and Dish receivers for sale on ebay and other places, has pretty much dried up. Also, your dish isn't receiving program information from only one satellite, at any given time, it is processing info from MANY of them. We are all over the place in our RV we have ALWAYS received the local channels and programming from where we live because that is ALL OUR RECEIVER CAN PROCESS. That is why it is usually better to use a receiver that is part of your home package, rather than purchasing a system that is ONLY for your RV.
ptillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:02 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
@Turbs...
100 miles only?
The satellites don't "beam" ANYTHING towards just a specific home location. They send out very broad (east to west) signals, from the south, towards the north. Which "local" channels you "pick up" via your dish, totally (and only) depends on which channels your receiver is set up to receive. If you take a receiver that has been set up to receive local channels from a particular area (because that is where you live), then those are the ONLY CHANNELS YOU SEE. THE CARD IN YOUR RECEIVER WAS ELECTRONICALLY PROGRAMMED TO PROCESS THOSE SIGNALS ONLY. You cannot change that without changing the card. This is mostly a theft deterrent and if you pay attention, you will see that the number of DTV and Dish receivers for sale on ebay and other places, has pretty much dried up. Also, your dish isn't receiving program information from only one satellite, at any given time, it is processing info from MANY of them. We are all over the place in our RV we have ALWAYS received the local channels and programming from where we live because that is ALL OUR RECEIVER CAN PROCESS. That is why it is usually better to use a receiver that is part of your home package, rather than purchasing a system that is ONLY for your RV.
I've had dish network since 1995 and I'm pretty sure I know a little bit about it.

I said a 100 mile radius not a 100 miles,
Once your out of that area you will no longer receive the locals that you have @ home.

I think you should do a little more reading before accusing me of giving false information.

I am also correct that the dish network local channels are Spot beamed.

respectively Prove me wrong with documentation.

Oh by the way I just bought a used 6 mo. Old receiver from an eBay seller in California, funny thing is I don't get California locals on it, never changed any card, can you explain this?

Hundreds of used receivers still for sale on ebay last I checked?

TURBS
Old 04-02-2015, 06:27 AM   #25

Got to go with TURBS on this one. I have the DISH Tailgater and use my receiver from home in the RV. I'm in Colorado and when set up my program guide will still show my Texas local channels but there is no programming to view. I call DISH and tell them my location and within about 5 minutes the Colorado local channels appear in my program guide replacing the Texas channels. The Tailgater uses 3 satellites (needed for HD but 2 will get you SD). Not sure of maximum distance from my Texas home viewing area before losing capability to view them but Amarillo is too far.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Got to go with TURBS on this one. I have the DISH Tailgater and use my receiver from home in the RV. I'm in Colorado and when set up my program guide will still show my Texas local channels but there is no programming to view. I call DISH and tell them my location and within about 5 minutes the Colorado local channels appear in my program guide replacing the Texas channels. The Tailgater uses 3 satellites (needed for HD but 2 will get you SD). Not sure of maximum distance from my Texas home viewing area before losing capability to view them but Amarillo is too far.
Sounds about right. [emoji14]

TURBS
Old 04-02-2015, 06:40 AM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1427974819341.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	72810

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Ho...H-Lineup.shtml

http://forums.solidsignal.com/conten...by-a-spot-beam

Mic drop

TURBS
Old 04-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Your clearly a newbie, I'll chalk your response up to that.

In the meantime I've had dish network since 1995 and I'm pretty sure I know a little bit about it.

I said a 100 mile radius not a 100 miles,
Once your out of that area you will no longer receive the locals that you have @ home.

I think you should do a little more reading before accusing me of given false information.

I am also correct that the dish network local channels are Spot beamed.

respectively Prove me wrong with documentation.

Oh by the way I just bought a used 6 mo. Old receiver from an eBay seller in California, funny thing is I don't get California locals on it, never changed any card, can you explain this?

Hundreds of used receivers still for sale on ebay last I checked?

TURBS
Turbs is right, I bought from Dish antenna and box for Concord, NC FROM DISH for my trailer and when we go to FL, it WILL NOT receive Charlotte local channels, I have to call Dish with a new location to get the local FL stations and it removes the Charlotte stations from the televisions at home. Been there, done that for the last 6 years. Oldest son was upset when we did it and he couldn't watch the local hockey games.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:28 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Turbs is right!!! As much as it pains me to admit it. I too have a dish tailgater and routinely take the receiver from my bedroom when we travel. I do not get Charleston SC local channels unless I am within a "arc" of that beam. Otherwise I have to call Dish, give them a ZIP CODE of where I am, then I get the locals for where I'm parked, not Charleston. Case in point, Goshen, IN, no SC local channels, only Goshen locals.

There is a ton of great information on this forum. You might want to take heed when advice is given, as it is given to help and assist members, not to point out the inexperience of the member. Believe me, I know........
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #30

Back on topic.
OP says "Direct TV" multiple LNB'S, works but no local channels on trip.

Sorry I can't help.
We have "Direct TV", ONE lnb, local channels WORK in S. central CO (home service area), at this time NO local channels in N. TX, no local channels last year in NM NV & W. TX.

ab&jb
Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjb View Post
Back on topic.
OP says "Direct TV" multiple LNB'S, works but no local channels on trip.

Sorry I can't help.
We have "Direct TV", ONE lnb, local channels WORK in S. central CO (home service area), at this time NO local channels in N. TX, no local channels last year in NM NV & W. TX.

ab&jb
Direct tv works the same .
Locals are "spot beamed" to your home zip code only.
Which Is why he gets no locals.

Which is the topic.

You could have 14 LNB'S it wouldn't matter you still won't get your locals when out of your area.

TURBS
Old 04-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
The zip code doesn't have anything at all to do with what stations you will receive. Entering the zip code is only done to find out where to aim your dish from whatever location you are in at that time.

If you take a receiver out of your house and put it in your rig, you will ALWAYS get your home stations. We've been all over, and never received anything but our local (at home) stations.

We are not referring to entering your zip code on the television screen as you go through the auto set function of either the tailgater or other device. We are saying when you call in to your provider, you must give the zip code of your location in order to get that local area market.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #33

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Spot beamed for sure

Well I guess I was right Turbs, Bomb Doc. Been messing with antennas for DirectV ever since the system has been up and running. I guess I learned something after 28 years in the communications business. Been there done that!

LNB's are simply extra connections for additional receivers & HD. If you have one LNB, you run one receiver. It is just a simple way to get voltage
13-18 VDC down the coax to power the LNB for the receiver in use. It is the way the system works.

And by the way Turbs & Bomb Doc you are 100% right!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:

Then you've never ventured outside the local station area of approx. 100 mile radius or whatever the distance is. Once outside that 100 mile radius or whatever it is, you will NOT get your normal local stations WITHOUT calling the provider and giving them your new location. Doesn't matter if you pull your receiver out of your house or have one specifically for your rv, they all react the same way. You are going against folks who have literally traveled all over the US of A and know what they are talking about.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to B and B
It is possible the gentleman that posted earlier local channel might be a national beam. Like Detroit or NYC. Might be on a national beam. In Canada we get all locals everywhere. We have spot beams as well. I can, if I had a large dish, watch all SD signals in Mexico. Some HD might make it but very few. With my Carryout all I get is SD.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #36

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
International communications agreement

I understand the latest satellite communications agreement with the US & Canada is going to stop the signals from Canada from venturing very far into the US. Another words the signal for the Canada will not be available
very far past the border between the US & Canada. Bell Canada has already stopped the signals close to the border.

What a shame. I understand Canadians love their hockey. I guess somebody is not getting their cut of the $$.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #37

I am curious. How does Dish "know" where I am? If I am not hooked up to phone/internet, then how does it know where I am? I live in Boston. If I drive to another location and take my dish, will I not still get my Boston channels?

Or is the conversation about not getting the channels local to what I happen to be at the time?

Has anyone tried to call up and change the zip code as an end around to the NFL? If I like the packers, can I call and tell them I am camping on the frozen tundra? Does this work?

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:36 PM   #38
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
I am curious. How does Dish "know" where I am? If I am not hooked up to phone/internet, then how does it know where I am? I live in Boston. If I drive to another location and take my dish, will I not still get my Boston channels?

Or is the conversation about not getting the channels local to what I happen to be at the time?

Has anyone tried to call up and change the zip code as an end around to the NFL? If I like the packers, can I call and tell them I am camping on the frozen tundra? Does this work?

Vin.
Vin,

If I live in Chicago dish knows my billing address so that's where the spot beam is told your receiver is "in not so many words"

Now if I take my receiver and go to Nashville all your "home locals" are blank.

So you call dish and say hey I'm in my rv in Nashville please use that zip code.

Now you will get Nashville locals but you must be in Nashville.

Now if you still have a receiver @ home if you turn to your local channels they'll be blank you will not get Chicago locals nor Nashville.

Think of it as there's a flashlight singing down on Nashville transmitting locals that flashlight cannot shine to Chicago as well.

Make sense?

TURBS
Old 04-02-2015, 05:52 PM   #39

Directv will do it but only a few times with time in between. If you are just on a short vacation, use DTV in the RV with your home base channels and a portable, to window antenna, or wineguard-type roof antenna for local news.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post

Vin.
Vin,
First I want to say I am no expert, I just have a lot of experience dealing with both DirecTV and Dish Network.

To answer your question about getting the ball game by some "back door" method, probably not. It would depend on how the game was broadcast. If it was on one of the paid channels, like NFL Network, you probably would be able to get it. But, if it was not and was televised on ABC, NBC, or CBS and not a major game, who knows. That comes down to what "market" the game is being televised in and whether or not blackout restrictions apply. If you were in Boston and wanted to watch a Packers game, you'd need to know if the Packers game was being televised in their "local market", if it were and you were "close" enough zip code wise, you might be able to "fool" them. But, I doubt it and you'd have to call them back and give them your Boston zip code in order to get your local Boston channels back.

This may clarify, and I hope it does. I live in Beaufort SC, 54 miles (as a crow flys) from Charleston, SC (my home town). Beaufort is 35 miles or so from Savannah GA. By law, my local market is Savannah, all the commercials on TV are geared to me spending dollars in Savannah, car dealerships, sales, and the news is all GA (very little SC). This is a law, as each satellite service provider must support "local markets" regardless of what the customer wants and is willing to pay for. I could care less about GA politics, state happenings, schools, etc. I want SC locals and I have them. But it came with much frustration dealing with people on the phone. I was told that the "local beam is about 75 miles" around their local markets. I said well, I'm only 54 miles away. He said well, let's try it. "Give me a zip code in Charleston and I'll add it to your account" I did and my TV went black and when it rebooted and came back on "bam" I had Charleston locals. I was happy. The only issue I have had was when Dish Network called me to say my Dish needed to be adjusted because they were dropping satellites an picking up other ones. Therefor the dish on my house needed to be adjusted. When the service tech showed up he called me on my cell and said "Mr. **** I'm in your drive way and you're not home" I said "yes I am".........he was at my in-laws house in Charleston.... True Story!

Tags
satellite