Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #1

Question Satellite TV Suggestions

I've read until my eyes are crossed and still don't know what to do. Hoping for some suggestions from you folks.

I have a small travel trailer and not much space for a receiver. However I spend half my week in the TT and half at home. I'd like to have more tv options while in the TT.

Currently I have Directv Genie and 3 clients at home. I know I can't take one of the clients but was wondering if I can take the Genie DVR? Would it be difficult to setup and move back and forth? Right now a friend is loaning me an H25 (nice and small) and a dish but that is just for the next few months. I'd really like to have a dvr though...I hate watching live tv and am spoiled with the dvr. I really would like to have a small receiver since my space is VERY limited. There is only one tv.

What options do I have for a small dvr (doesn't have to be high def) and satellite dish? I would like to keep Directv since I just renewed the contract about six months ago.

Thanks.
jtintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #2

Sorry,can't make any suggestions on DirectTV ,but you can look at the units available here. I have Dish Network and bought my satellite dish and receiver here. it doesn't look like there is a small receiver with DVR available.

DirecTV | DirecTV Satellite | Dish Depot

http://www.dishdepot.com/rv_systems.jsp
Old 12-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Have you checked on Ebay? Usually you can find just about any model DirecTv receiver you need, as well as dishes. That's what I did and had DirecTv add on the additional receiver. Very minimal cost to add another receiver.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #4

i have dish at home and my trailer is wired for satelite. my computor wizard friend, swears he can get dish through my tablet or notebook off my home account and hook it to my rv tv for free. i asked him why they still sell rv satelites if this is true, and he said few people know they can do this. anyone out there ever here of this?
wpredock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #5

That's possible only if you are subscribed to "dish anywhere" . check with your dish provider.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #6

Dish network lets you stream any of the channels you subscribe to over an internet connected device (phone, tablet, etc). The long pole here is that you must have wi-ft connection to internet. Call dish customer service and they will get you going OR Google it.
1nshort

Sent from my LGL86C using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 12-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #7

I hate auto spell.....that's wi-fy !

Old 12-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nshort View Post
I hate auto spell.....that's wi-fy !

Wi-Fi...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...58187178,d.cGU
Old 12-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #9

And most campground wi-f- systems don't support high bandwidth streaming. You'd probably go broke using your phone's data!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #10

i am a dish customer, and i have a sprint hot spot for my wifi. i can get the internet on all my computers anywhere i can get 3g or 4g. i bought a tablet for my rv, so i will have internet there all the time any where i go. i haven't figured out how to use this tablet yet but i am trying. it's powered by google., which is pretty much a pain in the butt. they seem to want to run the show.
wpredock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #11

Why cant you take one of the non DVR recievers out of the house? I have done that before without issue. But last time I renegotiated a deal with DTV I had them add 2 SD units for the trailer. Now I run one account and I have the Genie plus 3 HD recievers at home, and 2 SD units in the camper. The only issue is when I get outside of the spot beam for the local chanels I have to rely on OTA or park cable to fill that in.

A friend of mine has a non genie DVR in his trailer, seperate from the genie system at home. I just chose not to go that route.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #12

We have directv and we take both our receivers and dvr camping depending on if we plan to watch any of our prerecorded,shows or just using the satellite. It's not hard to get it set up. Once the dish catches the signal(I have an auto dish) it only takes about 10 mins to get the zip code set and tv playing.
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #13

We have DirectTV. After the purchase of a dish and tripod we took 1 of our receivers from home with us. As long as I can locate our satellite we get our channels. Besides my inability to always locate the satellite, the only other issue is getting our local channels. Seems there is a geolocal type band that your local channels are broadcast to and once you go out of it the local channels are no longer accessible.
Loyal Companion - Lucy our ever vigilant rescue.
libslowmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #14

Directv also has an option I'm going to try and that is the GenieGo. It's basically a portable hard drive you download your recorded programs to and then you can connect it to your computer, ipad, smartphone, or tv and watch your recorded stuff anywhere. It's not dependent on having wi-fi at the campground. Go online and check it out.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
Directv also has an option I'm going to try and that is the GenieGo. It's basically a portable hard drive you download your recorded programs to and then you can connect it to your computer, ipad, smartphone, or tv and watch your recorded stuff anywhere. It's not dependent on having wi-fi at the campground. Go online and check it out.
How much do they charge for the Geniego? Is there also a monthly fee?
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
Always Learning

Oh man. You might cost me money with that! My wife would LOVE to be able to pull her DVR'd stuff off and take it with us.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #17

No monthly fee, $149 initial cost for the unit. Maybe can get one for less elsewhere.
www.directv.com/GenieGo for more info.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #18

For whatever its worth, I used to align my own dish system for about 5 years and then they came out with the Tailgater and I haven't looked back.

Now if I could only find a decent internet system.

David
dchaviland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #19

Thanks folks. Wasn't ignoring your replies...just got really busy. Think I'm going to go with the H25 receiver. Now I just need to figure out which dish to use. Would like something automatic.
jtintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
No monthly fee, $149 initial cost for the unit. Maybe can get one for less elsewhere.
www.directv.com/GenieGo for more info.

Genie go is now $99.00!!!!
2SGMRET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite