Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
RBR
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64
Satellite TVs & Sirus radio

We are getting a direct satellite dish installed. We have 3 tvs and 2 boxes do we need a box for each TV or can one box be shared?

If in dash radio is not sirus ready can you still install sirus or do need a new radio. Or is there some other easier way to get sirus radio


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
2014 XLR 27HFS
 
dave961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 403
I have an Onyx XM unit. I have my motorcycle all set up to plug the unit in on the handle bars while riding. I have another home type mount set up in my camper - uses the same Onyx unit, and plugs into the campers sound system. The mounting set & antenna for the camper was $35. It's great to get quality music no matter where you are, and NO commercials or obnoxious DJ's.
__________________

__________________
Dave & Audrey
dave961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
Senior Member - Retired
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 295
RBR We have a DirecTV Genie system in our Georgetown. The bedroom TV is connected to the DirecTV DVR (considered the server) and the other two TV's have a small thin Genie slave unit which is attached to the back of each TV with strips of Velcro. The system supports full HD (1080i and 1080p) and allows viewing/recording/playback of up to five programs at the same time.
__________________
John & Gloria Hunsaker FROG Member CA-0030-988
2014 Georgetown XL 334QS (class A with 4 slides)
2013 Smart Car TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:47 PM   #4
Member
 
Christian_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
If in dash radio is not sirus ready can you still install sirus or do need a new radio. Or is there some other easier way to get sirus radio
There are kits you can purchase so you can get sirius on your existing radio.
__________________
Christian
Reno, NV
2015 Georgetown 270
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
7 Year Class A RV'er
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 1,063
Clarification: The add-on kits are ONLY for radios that are indicated to already be Sirius/XM ready. If the front of the radio doesn't say it's Sirius/XM ready, there is no jack on the back of the radio to plug the kit into. You'll still need to install an antenna, which is the real problem. If you lay it on the dash, you'll have great reception when you're driving south, no reception when driving north and good reception driving east or west (the satellites are all over the equator). Even if you get the separate unit, you'll still have to figure out how to run the antenna.
__________________
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
mudman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: S Florida
Posts: 286
If u have seriius in your car or at home get the one for ur phone. Hook the cable from ur phone to Rv and ur in. If u have Bluetooth in the Rv it's even better
__________________
2019 microlite 25bds
2015 tundra
mudman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 1,063
I was wondering about the one through the phone; dose it seem to use very much of your data allotment?
__________________
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
wnelsonfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mount Dora FL
Posts: 178
XM radio app

I use the XM radio app when I am in the trailer. Works great with the blue tooth
__________________
Warren
2014 Silverado Z71 4x4- 5.3
Flagstaff 21 FRBS
235 nights camping this past 30 months
31000 miles
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
mudman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: S Florida
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
I was wondering about the one through the phone; dose it seem to use very much of your data allotment?
Not exceptionally if your using it normally. If u leave it on when not listening to it ,than that's a different story.
__________________
2019 microlite 25bds
2015 tundra
mudman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 7,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
Not exceptionally if your using it normally. If u leave it on when not listening to it ,than that's a different story.
Or if you are at a camp with WIFI, no data usage at all!
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northen IL
Posts: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
We are getting a direct satellite dish installed. We have 3 tvs and 2 boxes do we need a box for each TV or can one box be shared?
I believe you need a box for each TV. You can share a box but you'll get the same channel on both TVs.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
mudman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: S Florida
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Or if you are at a camp with WIFI, no data usage at all!
Truth it is.
mudman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
TimVWulp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
We are getting a direct satellite dish installed. We have 3 tvs and 2 boxes do we need a box for each TV or can one box be shared?

If in dash radio is not sirus ready can you still install sirus or do need a new radio. Or is there some other easier way to get sirus radio


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Hi Dish network still has Sirus radio available to listen to.
Not sure if you want to watch 2 channels at one time or share 1 channel with 2 TV's. To watch 2 channels you will need a duel receiver and sat that is duel capable or 2 receiver and 2 sat dishes. To share just split the signal out put from the sat receiver to the 2 TV's.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,925
Does anyone know if it is possible to change the Jensen Radio Clock on the exterior of the Sunseeker,,, it seams to think it is in a different time zone ??? The Jensen TV was off by an hour last year,,, seams to be right now ???
Came with no book !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: fort worth texas
Posts: 57
I use portable direct tv dish with 2 boxes 1 box controls LR,OUTSIDE AND BUNK TVS, 1 box for br,,,only get sd is only drawback.i use boxes from home
sonny bransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #16
Member
 
Christian_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to change the Jensen Radio Clock on the exterior of the Sunseeker,,, it seams to think it is in a different time zone ??? The Jensen TV was off by an hour last year,,, seams to be right now ???
Came with no book !!!
On our Jensen, if you push and hold the volume adjust knob the time/hour will flash. Rotate the knob to adjust. Then do the same for minutes.

**This is while the radio is off/clock is displayed.
__________________
Christian
Reno, NV
2015 Georgetown 270
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
RBR We have a DirecTV Genie system in our Georgetown. The bedroom TV is connected to the DirecTV DVR (considered the server) and the other two TV's have a small thin Genie slave unit which is attached to the back of each TV with strips of Velcro. The system supports full HD (1080i and 1080p) and allows viewing/recording/playback of up to five programs at the same time.
.

Ca fisherman, just so I'm clear.
You don't need wifi service to make the Directv genie work? Does it have its own wifi then? I didn't know that. I was thinking I needed to have wifi at the camp site to make that work.
That's great if the genie has its own.
Cheers.
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #18
Senior Member - Retired
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 295
Barrie1: The DirecTV Genie system does not require wifi availability since the master and slave units are cabled. It was a lot of work to run new cables to all three TV's and to the roof, but I wanted to ensure I ended up with a rock-solid reliable system. There is a new wireless version of the Genie system, however I do not suggest it as the wireless system still has a few "bugs."

The Genie master unit (DVR) has wifi capability so you can link it to an available wifi signal and then pull in content from Amazon Prime, etc. When our MH is parked at home, I can link the MH to our house system and share recording and content between the three MH TV's and the five TV's in our house.
__________________
John & Gloria Hunsaker FROG Member CA-0030-988
2014 Georgetown XL 334QS (class A with 4 slides)
2013 Smart Car TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
Barrie1: The DirecTV Genie system does not require wifi availability since the master and slave units are cabled. It was a lot of work to run new cables to all three TV's and to the roof, but I wanted to ensure I ended up with a rock-solid reliable system. There is a new wireless version of the Genie system, however I do not suggest it as the wireless system still has a few "bugs."

The Genie master unit (DVR) has wifi capability so you can link it to an available wifi signal and then pull in content from Amazon Prime, etc. When our MH is parked at home, I can link the MH to our house system and share recording and content between the three MH TV's and the five TV's in our house.
Thank you for helping me understand how their system works.
I guess you hard wired between the master and the slaves at the other TV's. That way wifi isn't needed.
My wife says she want Directv in our bedroom in the Shockwave. I do have our DVR in the living area. I'm sure your slave receivers are much smaller than hanging another complete receiver in the bedroom. As you said the Velcro works well.
Maybe I should switch to the genie.
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:21 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,925
Thank you Christian,,, I will try that,,, I thought I had tried that but will try again !!!
Thanks again for the reply !!!
__________________

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
radio, satellite

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.


×