Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2021, 10:06 AM   #1

School me on all these coax connections.

So my new 5er has a block of coax connections in the convenience center. One is labeled Cable, the rest are labeled Bedroom, Living room, etc and 2 are not labeled at all. I'm coming from a TT that only had 1 connection on the outside, so I'm not sure which one I should be using. Any info would be appreciated.
groovezilla79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:17 AM   #2

Added model to my signature if it matters.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:25 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Tell us more about what you are trying to accomplish.
Photos of the connection points (inside and out) would help too.

Are you trying to watch off-air stations on the rooftop antenna?
Are you trying to connect to campground cable?
Are you trying to connect an outside satellite dish?
Are you trying to watch any of this only on the main living area TV?
Are you trying to watch any of these separately on a bedroom/outside TV?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:50 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply, I won't be able to take a picture of the connections until later. But it may not be needed.

Are you trying to watch off-air stations on the rooftop antenna? Yes. When cable is not available at the site. I

Are you trying to connect to campground cable? Yes, when available

Are you trying to connect an outside satellite dish? No not at all.

Are you trying to watch any of this only on the main living area TV? For now, yes

Are you trying to watch any of these separately on a bedroom/outside TV? Eventually we'd add TVs to the kids bunk, main bedroom and outside TV spot.

What I am assuming is that I would use the one labeled Cable for regular site provided cable TV, the individual coax connections if I'm using a satellite connection. Obviously none of these matter if Im using the OTA that sits on top of the coach. Just wanted someone to confirm my logic is straight.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:41 PM   #5

I would think the ones labeled bedroom living room are for satellite.
BM Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:14 AM   #6

It sounds like the one labeled cable is the in feed and the others are distribution.
Are they all on a one piece enclosed device?
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:17 PM   #7

Typically, the rooftop antenna is connected to a power supply on the back of a wall plate with a push button power switch on it. The wall plate will have one jack for the antenna output on the outside. It may also have another ouput on the back of the wall plate to go to other TVs. You push the button and a little light comes on and power is supplied to the antenna amplifier and antenna output is supplied to the output jacks on the wall plate unit.

The on the back of the wall plate unit is also a second input for cable TV which is normally connected to a jack on the outside of the RV. When the pushbutton is in the off position, and the light is off, the cable tv inlet is connected to the outputs on the wall plate unit.

Satellite connections cannot have any splitters or other electronics in the line between the satellite dish and receiver. So many times on the same wall plate with the antenna connection will be a second just plain straight through "barrel" jack. On the backside will be a single cable connected to it which runs to a second jack on the outside of the RV - just one piece of cable, nothing installed in the line. This connection is often labelled "AUX" or "SAT".

Then you will have cables running to other TVs such as bedroom, bunkroom, or outside. These are either connected to a splitter on the back of the wall plate unit which splits either the antenna output or the cable TV input to the various TVs. This will not work with satellite. Many people have to find the splitter behind the antenna wall plate and disconnect the cable(s) to the other TVs and connect them to the satellite receiver TV out.

It sounds like in your situation, these cables to the other locations terminate at the connections you are describing. So you would either need to connect them to a splitter and the output of the antenna/cable TV "box", or connect them to a satellite receiver TV out.

You can use one of these to find the ends of each cable:
https://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Test.../dp/B076DP1534

You can also use a 9 volt battery and voltmeter.

NOTE, most of the time a splitter or other device in a cable run will interfere with end-to-end cable detection, so if you have a wall plate(s) you may want to look behind the wall plate.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:32 PM   #8

Cable TV Connections

NavyLCDR,
Thank you for your reply on this thread and also some similar TV connection diagram responses. Your info has confirmed my trial and error methods. The one item that I have missed and could not find in my camper manual (Wildcat MB383) was that the TV amplifier “button” toggles the roof antenna and the cable port in the convenience bulkhead.
I was attempting to connect an external free air antenna with booster and had one heck of a time. I could not find that the cable F-connector in the convenience bulkhead went to anywhere! Now that I know it “should” toggle all camper TVs from the roof antenna (green light on) to the Cable F-connector to all camper TVs (light off) I can continue my saga. I used a splitter to route my external antenna to the living room and bonus room TVs.
Now I will remove all that and put the external antenna booster into the “cable” F-connector and turn the amp off (green light off) and all my TV ports should work. Thanks for your information. It is aggravating that I could not find this information in the manual or any type of wiring diagram of the TV system.
Padgettra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coax

« Frig died | WIFI »