Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #41

Airspace

So can an Iphone airspace to a Sony TV ?
tajfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #42

casting to TV

We use Chromecast. We have the Verizon Prepaid WIFI hotspot which we have used wherever we go and able to cast from laptop to TV.

Check out my Blog "A Grande Tour" about our travels and other writings! agrandetour.com
dougschne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #43

I tried a Chromecast, and found that the quality was not as good as the Roku screen mirroring. We have a Verizon MiFi that we use for what little data is available at our site. It provides for a local wireless network, so I am able to connect my Note10+ to the Roku TV and mirror the screen. Chromecast is supposed to work without a wireless network (direct from phone to Chromecast connected to the TV), but I found that problematic, too, although there are instructions out on the internet for doing so. The only problem I ran into was if I downloaded content at the highest quality that Amazon's Video App will allow, it would not stream correctly, as the MiFi's network was not fast enough to keep up. Also, if my phone decided to flip to the 2.4GHz network, that was also not fast enough for even the slightly lower quality videos. I solved that problem by setting the guest network to be the 2.4GHz and the primary network to be 5GHz (we have devices, like the dog's tracking collar, that only work on 2.4GHz). The great part about doing screen mirroring is that any content you can play on your phone will be mirrored to the TV, so you are not limited to just streaming apps.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #44

One of my TVs is a samsung and I can cast directly to it. However the other is not a smart tv and I use Belkin Miracast Video Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HFAEBWG..._CIkODb9QCG1XY to cast to it using my Samsung phone.

TT: 2019 Palomino Puma XLE Toy Hauler 25TFC
TV: 2016 Ford F250 Superduty Powerstroke 4x4
SnJGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #45

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9, the S8 and S9 have a feature called Samsung Dex. it basically turns your phone into a PC desktop experience when you connect the dongle to the tv, but with android apps on the desktop (connected to TV through HDMI, phone is connected to dongle with USB-C). This means that all the phone apps project to the TV. I watch Netflix and can connect to my DVR at home too. We watched the Women's World Cup this way this summer. We never experienced a slowdown in data service after several days of use and many soccer matches (Verizon unlimited plan). And we were not using the hotspot feature, just direct data to phone.

The other advantage to this is, that since it is a desktop experience, you can connect a bluetooth mouse to use as a wireless remote. Since my phone is bluetoothed to the RV stereo, we were able to get surround sound through the coach system when watching movies. You can also use all your other apps which is handy. We used Google Maps on the big TV to map out our day trips. We also watched home videos and photos taken on the phone during the trip.

Am really happy with the setup. The dongle only cost about $20 + an HDMI cable. I also plug in power to the dongle, so it charges the phone at the same time!
Old 10-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #46
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I've tried most of the dongles and also casting to a Roku or FireTV Stick and they all worked to some degree but were buggy at times.

This works EVERY time for me. Galaxy S9+ using Android.

Type C to HDMI w/charging cord.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:19 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 3011DS View Post
The other advantage to this is, that since it is a desktop experience, you can connect a bluetooth mouse to use as a wireless remote.
My S8 has Dex.. I'm pretty much doing what you do, except.. my dongle has the HDMI cord attached... and has a usb c input for charging.
Can you please elaborate more on how the bluetooth mouse can be used as a wireless remote? This would be very handy.
Are you connecting the mouse to the phone or tv?
Old 10-13-2019, 11:00 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahmeilleur View Post
We use a usb-c to HDMI adapter. Download movies to Netflix and mirror you phone screen to the tv. Zero data or WiFi required.
Spoke with a Samsung rep today--not all their cell phones support cable transfer of this type. Galaxy S8 and newer do, I believe.

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck9997 View Post
Well.. this has kinda gone sideways. I'm the OP. I appreciate all the input.. but I was asking about screen casting movies, videos, pictures, tv shows, etc that you have downloaded on your phone or a tablet or laptop,.. to the TV in your camper. Using a wireless display adapter. Like the screen beam or the Microsoft adapter. You don't need internet.. you are just mirroring your telephone or tablet on your TV.
Thanks.
DW and I have done exactly what you are trying to do--downloaded TV shows and Netflix shows to our cell phones for later viewing while on a camping trip.
We have been using a Chromecast device.

According to the Samsung rep I spoke with today at Best Buy, all of these adapters need to operate over some kind of network--either cellular or wifi. If you view the programs using campground wifi (unlikely enough bandwidth at most campgrounds and some do not permit streaming in this way) none of your data plan is used. But if you use one of your cell phones as a hot spot, it eats up your data plan as if you were streaming the programs directly from the internet. On a recent trip, we blew through our data plan in a single rain event watching three hours of programs we had previously downloaded to my cell phone and using her phone as the hot spot.

The rep and I concluded that the easiest way to do what you are asking about is to own an android phone that will allow use of a usb-C to HDMI adapter cable that connects the phone directly to one of the television's HDMI port. I can't speak to iPhone capabilities, but I think a similar cable setup is possible as well.

Unfortunately, our cell phones are Samsung Galaxy S6 phones that do not allow transfer of this type of data via a cable device--I think the S8 and newer Samsung phones will allow it. DW thinks I am angling for a new phone.

Red Green
Old 10-14-2019, 05:57 AM   #50
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I use my Samsung phone or wife's Apple phone to cast to a Roku.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:58 AM   #51

We have videos saved onto a portable hard drive that we carry with us when we travel. Hard drive connects to laptop and we can cast to the TV using chromecast but that does need a WIFI connection so the laptop can see the TV/Chromecast. The easy solution is to connect the laptop to the TV via HDMI cable. You could also put movies on a thumb drive as well.

Check out my Blog "A Grande Tour" about our travels and other writings! agrandetour.com
dougschne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:57 AM   #52

rockfossilman,
I have a s4, s5 and s8 and had a s6 edge - they all have a feature called smartviev, its the same as miracast.
If you have a TV which has smartview ( e.g. all LG have) you can directly mirror whatever is on your phone to your Tv, no data or wifi connection needed.
If your Tv Is not smartviev capable but has an HDMI and USB port get an ANYCAST adapter (Amazon about 15$) - does the same thing. No cell phone coverage / wifi / data needed!
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #53

I use an iPhone adapter that you plug an hdmi cable into and view my downloaded Netflix movies- works great. Just can’t watch direct tv and do this, they encrypt it.
dalenelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
rockfossilman,
I have a s4, s5 and s8 and had a s6 edge - they all have a feature called smartviev, its the same as miracast.
If you have a TV which has smartview ( e.g. all LG have) you can directly mirror whatever is on your phone to your Tv, no data or wifi connection needed.
If your Tv Is not smartviev capable but has an HDMI and USB port get an ANYCAST adapter (Amazon about 15$) - does the same thing. No cell phone coverage / wifi / data needed!
Loefflerh, I ordered my Anycast yesterday--should arrive next week. I'll let you know if it works as you suggest. My S6 does have SmartView. I am able to download programs from Direct TV and Netflix to my cell and watch them on the phone. If it doesn't work to cast to our television for us, stop in and I'll buy you a cold one anyway!
I've watched a dozen + tutorials so far, Loefflerh--all show a wifi icon activated on the screen and one even said to leave your wifi on to use the device. So, honestly, I am not getting my hopes up!

Red Green
Old 10-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #55

Quote:
rockfossilman,
Loefflerh,
So far so good. Our Anycast arrived yesterday. I set it up in our trailer and it seems to work--I even disconnected from wifi for the test! After turning Smart View on my Samsung phone, I was able to stream saved DirectTV programs, Live DirectTV programs and saved Netflix programs
My only criticism is that the connection seemed a bit slow and choppy at times. I found that proximity of the cell phone to the device was helpful with that issue.
Thanks for the tip--we'll put it to use at Twin Grove CG next week.

Red Green
Old 10-22-2019, 07:26 AM   #56

Glad I could help!
If the connection seems a bit slow it most probable is your cell phone connecting, slow connection. Sometimes it improves putting the cell near a window or at least in a different spot!
BTW I am on T_mobile unlimited. Reaching 50 GB I get a warning I might be throttled down periodically when the Internet is congested: that never happened to me, and I exceed the 50 on every vacation!
Coming next week for the cold one!
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Old 10-22-2019, 08:09 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalenelson View Post
I use an iPhone adapter that you plug an hdmi cable into and view my downloaded Netflix movies- works great. Just can’t watch direct tv and do this, they encrypt it.
Are you using satellite based DirectTV or cellular/WiFi based DirectTV Now? I use DirectTV Now and it works great using an iPhone or iPad to send a 1080p view to the TV via the adapter and HDMI. BTW, the name for DirectTV Now is now shown as AT&T TV. No other changes...just the name.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #58

There has been several mentions of various devices that require the device and the phone to be connected to WiFi or a phone hotspot. That can get tricky using a hotspot from the phone when WiFi is not available because it’s easy for the phone to start using plan data. Here’s a couple of workarounds.

You can use any WiFi enabling router that does not have to be connected to the internet. Just connect the device and the phone to the router generated WiFi.

If you have a Lippert OneControl system then you already have a router installed in your RV. You can tie your devices together via that router. If you see a WiFi network with the name beginning with “MyRV_” then that’s the Lippert router.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
BTW I am on T_mobile unlimited. Reaching 50 GB I get a warning I might be throttled down periodically when the Internet is congested: that never happened to me, and I exceed the 50 on every vacation!
Coming next week for the cold one!
We have the T-Mobile 55+ unlimited plan and they told me that I could pay $5 or $10 extra per month and not get throttled. We plan to do it for our 3 month trip south. You can cancel it anytime.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #60

Just to clarify: If T-mobil really would throttle you (which never happened to me) it is just temporarily during high internet congestion!
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?