Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #1

Sirius/XM radio questions

The new TV we just bought has Sirius radio with a free, time-limited subscription. Thinking we might like to keep it after it expires and even add its capabilities to the TT. Questions:

1) Can I just buy a "home kit" and plug it into the AUX port of the TT's entertainment system?
2) Does a single "subscription" entitle you to use it on as many physical radios as you care to use?

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on the issue.

Thanks
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANShark42 View Post
The new TV we just bought has Sirius radio with a free, time-limited subscription. Thinking we might like to keep it after it expires and even add its capabilities to the TT. Questions:

1) Can I just buy a "home kit" and plug it into the AUX port of the TT's entertainment system?
2) Does a single "subscription" entitle you to use it on as many physical radios as you care to use?

Thanks
Every physical radio has to be on its own subscription. I assume the one in your vehicle is built in and you can't "move" those.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:05 PM   #3

Each physical radio needs a subscription. However you can buy a radio that mounts into several docking bases. We have one radio (one subscription) and three docking bases ( old truck, wife's car and TT.) We move the radio around as needed.

My new truck comes with a 6 month subscription to X-m/Sirius built into the truck so should I want to keep the built-in radio working I will need to buy a subscription for it. I could also let this subscription expire and install my docking port for the radio for which we already have a subscription.

Or I could transfer my existing subscription to the built-in truck radio but then I'd lose portability and I'm not going to do that.

And yes my radio base is plugged into the TT entertainment system.

Quote:

Thanks
Old 02-06-2015, 10:29 PM   #4

Talk to Sirius they have a kit that they sell for 19.95 and you can install in your RV. You will need to have a subscription for each radio. Our car has Sirius and purchased the kit and that's installed in the MH.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #5

They do make radios that are 'moveable' but that would mean that you would not be using the built-in feature of your TV. You might also check into the online add-on for XM. If you have unlimited on your cell plan and have coverage, that is another way to listen in places besides the cab of your TV. Good luck!
rabreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #6

I saw this (Rats Nest) and hired the 14yr old neighbor to (Unwire the Old XM and Wire in the New XM)! He made the list of (Special Doo Dadds) that I purchased at Radio Shack. Each XM has its own #,so use a Docking Station type XM and Move to needed location! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xxxd 002.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	69292   Click image for larger version

Name:	xxxd 003.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	477.6 KB
ID:	69293   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4070.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	69294   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4069.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	641.8 KB
ID:	69295  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #7

My apologies for the ambiguity. The Ford F250 I recently purchased has XM radio as part of the in-dash radio. My goal is to have XM radio in both the truck and the camper, for as little ongoing monthly cost as possible.

From reading your replies, I'm thinking my best bet is to pay for the Sirius "All Access" package subscription for the truck, which includes the "Internet Radio" option. I could then listen to the Internet Radio by plugging my iPhone, iPad or laptop PC into the AUX port of the camper's entertainment system.

Comments?
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 02-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
From reading your replies, I'm thinking my best bet is to pay for the Sirius "All Access" package subscription for the truck, which includes the "Internet Radio" option. I could then listen to the Internet Radio by plugging my iPhone, iPad or laptop PC into the AUX port of the camper's entertainment system.

Comments?
How would that affect your cellular data plan?
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #9

That is correct. You can do that. Just be certain you have the right cell plan for the data you will use. The campgrounds that have wifi (so you don't have to use your cell data) will be a bonus!

Best of luck to you!
Old 02-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #10

That's an excellent question. I'm interested in what the entire camping experience will affect my data plan. I work in IT, so I tend to stay pretty connected. I can work from anywhere I can get a reasonable internet/cell signal. So technically, I could work while camping if I cared to.

My current plan shares 15GB of data through 3 phones and a tablet. The tablet and one of the phones have minimal data requirements. Time will tell if I have enough data to get us through a month of camping....
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 02-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #11

I also work in IT, so welcome to the fun! I invested in a Wilson electronics cell signal booster for those times when we are really remote.

Tags
radio