RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #1

Sky 4 WIFI Ranger

Our new on order Signature Rockwood 8298 KS comes with the Sky 4 WIFI Ranger. Not sure first of all how well it works.

So how well does it work? Will be using my own sim card from AT&T because it is true unlimited data for only $30 a month. I can not get the same deal any more and this one is grand fathered in, so I don't want to lose that.

The Sky 4 is on one side of the roof and not in the middle of the roof. So can that affect it's ability ?

It seems to work like all of them using 12 volt DC power. I could swap it out with a connect 2.0 and us that power run if I wanted to. It doesn't take up as much space as the connect 2.0 does so my hope is it works just as well.

I think the only issue I have about it so far , is I have to buy some kind of additional kit to make it 4G LTE capable.

Has anyone used the Connect 2.0 and the Sky 4 and if so what did you think comparing the 2?
Ram 2500
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:04 AM   #2

I canít comment on the Connect 2.0, but I have been using the Sky4 since we got this camper in January. I am very happy with it, and havenít had any problems with it connecting to every campground that offers WiFi. Having the device on the roof of the camper allows it to grab the signal better than from inside the camper. I have configured my devices (iPhones, iPads, RV Whisper, Fire Stick) to connect to the Ranger so I only have to connect the Ranger to the campground and everything is ready to go. FYI, the Sky3 on our previous camper likewise worked well for us.
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post
I am very happy with it, and havenít had any problems with it connecting to every campground that offers WiFi. Having the device on the roof of the camper allows it to grab the signal better than from inside the camper. I have configured my devices (iPhones, iPads, RV Whisper, Fire Stick) to connect to the Ranger so I only have to connect the Ranger to the campground and everything is ready to go. FYI, the Sky3 on our previous camper likewise worked well for us.
Thanks for the reply and input marinejoe. I posted on another forum and the vender answered my questions as well. The main one being will it take my current sim card for 4g LTE access? With the upgrade kit the answer is a positive yes it will. So I can still use my same data plan I have now with AT&T.
Total unlimited for $30 a month.
Ram 2500
Old 10-18-2020, 06:00 PM   #4
Befuddled wanderer

I tried to like the Sky4 unit on our Rockwood Ultra Light, but I found that it had more drawbacks than benefits for me. We are seasonals in a campground that has multiple WiFi hot spots spread around the campground. I found that using the Sky4 unit did not get me any better signal than connecting directly to the nearest hot spot. I do believe that if the nearest hot spot was too far away for my devices to hook up directly, then I would probably use it.

The drawbacks:
- Our unit is mounted right next to the TV antenna on the roof and we discovered that it interfered with the incoming TV signals. When we turned it off, our TV reception improved dramatically.
- I had trouble keeping a stable connection on some devices. Some of our devices would hook up and use the Sky4 connection without issue, but some would drop it on a regular basis and switch to the nearest campground hot spot. It was mostly our android phones that had problems. I thought maybe we got a defective unit and I really wanted to like it, so I purchased a replacement unit only to find that it didn't fix the problems.

I did not attempt to purchase and set up a cell connection. After the issues I had with the wifi part, I didn't feel that spending money on the cell adapter would be money well spent. If I decide to set up some kind of cell phone hot spot, I will probably just purchase a separate device.

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc102bob View Post
I tried to like the Sky4 unit on our Rockwood Ultra Light, but I found that it had more drawbacks than benefits for me.

The drawbacks:
- Our unit is mounted right next to the TV antenna on the roof and we discovered that it interfered with the incoming TV signals. When we turned it off, our TV reception improved dramatically.
- I had trouble keeping a stable connection on some devices. Some of our devices would hook up and use the Sky4 connection without issue, but some would drop it on a regular basis and switch to the nearest campground hot spot. It was mostly our android phones that had problems. I thought maybe we got a defective unit and I really wanted to like it, so I purchased a replacement unit only to find that it didn't fix the problems.

I did not attempt to purchase and set up a cell connection. After the issues I had with the wifi part, I didn't feel that spending money on the cell adapter would be money well spent. If I decide to set up some kind of cell phone hot spot, I will probably just purchase a separate device.
Thanks for the feed back. Just the kind of information ( good or bad ) I was looking for.
Ram 2500
Old 10-19-2020, 06:31 PM   #6

WifiRanger Sky4

Our Ď20 Pursuit 31ts has one and I find very limited success with the hotspot function. Looked into the cell data upgrade and find the card has not been available for the last 3 months. Since they have been purchased by Winegard, it will be interesting to see the path that WiFi Ranger takes.
HillClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:25 AM   #7

Here is how I log on to Sky4
1. Using my tablet or cell phone I log on to the campground web site.
2. Then I log on to the Sky4 URL (the one that is provided on the switch for Ranger)
mine goes like 10.1xx.xx.1:8080
3. The Ranger screen comes up and I find the campground web site listed and log on to it.

The advantage is that I set my Alexa, TV and tables to the Ranger WiFi site and if we go to another park all I have to do is steps 1-3 and all my devices connect.

Just a thought....
BobinIrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinIrving View Post
Here is how I log on to Sky4
1. Using my tablet or cell phone I log on to the campground web site.
2. Then I log on to the Sky4 URL (the one that is provided on the switch for Ranger)
mine goes like 10.1xx.xx.1:8080
3. The Ranger screen comes up and I find the campground web site listed and log on to it.

The advantage is that I set my Alexa, TV and tables to the Ranger WiFi site and if we go to another park all I have to do is steps 1-3 and all my devices connect.

Just a thought....

While I'm sure the Sky 4 works OK as an extender( most do ) It is the cell 4G LTE service and connections and hot spot that I'm very interested in. Going down the road it is nice to have that long extra reach (1 to 2 miles ) internet connection working.
Ram 2500
Old 10-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillClimber View Post
Our Ď20 Pursuit 31ts has one and I find very limited success with the hotspot function. Looked into the cell data upgrade and find the card has not been available for the last 3 months. Since they have been purchased by Winegard, it will be interesting to see the path that WiFi Ranger takes.

You are right. It will be interesting to see what Winegard does. Not sure why Rockwood offers the Sky 4 at this time. Yet they do and I would like to know and give it a try , but f I can't get the modem upgrade card for it it becomes useless to me and my needs.
Ram 2500
Old 10-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #10
Usually Confused Member

The hardware for cellular these days is pretty good. The problem comes when trying to get data. Unless you have a “grandfathered” plan it’s pretty much impossible to get truly unlimited data, and if you do any streaming you need unlimited. Even the resellers are starting to restrict their SIM cards to specific hardware which must be purchased from them.

One needs to beware of gotchas when dealing with resellers. Most of their customers use less than 100 gig a month. But, there have been many reports of folks who used 500 gig or more getting shut off. Complain all you want but you’re dealing with some guy working out of the home basement so chances of getting a solution for the deceptive practices are slim to none.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi