Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 11:00 PM   #1

Sliding drawer opens when traveling

The sliding drawer under the kitchen table in my 2608BS Rockwood comes open when traveling. The magnetic lock on the rail doesn't seem strong enough to hold it. Anyone found a better locking mechanism or rail system?

Thanks
Wes
WesWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:12 AM   #2

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Im sure someone on the forum will chime in with a fix.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:25 AM   #3

Get some neodymium magnets. Pick ‘em strong enough and even you will find it hard to open drawer. ��
Old 01-05-2021, 09:36 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Is there room to install a mechanical catch?
Many folks have added something additional.
There are even posts about straps or bungies.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:29 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice - now I know what to look for!
Old 01-05-2021, 12:51 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarianocnj View Post
Get some neodymium magnets. Pick ‘em strong enough and even you will find it hard to open drawer. ��

The way these things are built, you probably pull the whole front of the drawer off trying to open it, lol.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
The way these things are built, you probably pull the whole front of the drawer off trying to open it, lol.
Either that or the weaker occupants won't be able to open it.

Those things are mega-strong. They'll hold onto that drawer more than a snapping turtle onto a toe!
Old 01-05-2021, 01:23 PM   #8

Drawer Opens

Lots of things available to retain the drawers while traveling. I just bought some"Baby Locks" at the hardware store and installed them. Have used them for years. Cheap and effective.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #9

I've had this problem on a couple of items including a swing-out big-screen monitor which has gone thrashing back and forth on several trips. Bottom line, I add to whatever is already there, I don't replace it. So, where there was one hook or catch, there are now two. Lowes and Home Depot have a lot of things that will come close to matching the catch/hook/knob, etc. and even the color.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:26 PM   #10

I bought these from Walmart.com they work great.
Camp'N - 4 Pack - Push Catch - Latch - Grabber - Holder for RV Cabinet Doors with Mounting Hardware - 5 lbs Pull Force - Perfect for RV, Trailer, Camper, Motor Home, Cargo Trailer -
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:43 PM   #11

Thanks to all for your input. Due to lack of space to add anything new, I've shimmed the rails a bit to make a tighter fit when the drawer rail engages the fixed rail in the box. It seems to be a bit tighter, we'll see if it works next trip. The root of the problem appears to be to be the cavity is too big for the drawer width with the installed rails.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesWa View Post
Thanks to all for your input. Due to lack of space to add anything new, I've shimmed the rails a bit to make a tighter fit when the drawer rail engages the fixed rail in the box. It seems to be a bit tighter, we'll see if it works next trip. The root of the problem appears to be to be the cavity is too big for the drawer width with the installed rails.
On my TT the drawers are "latched" in place when the front drops into kind of a locking position when fully closed. Have to lift and pull to open.

I had problems with one drawer sliding open during transit until I found it was being blocked from that final "drop" when fully closed. Both cleared some junk that was holding the drawer up and adjusted all the hardware on cabinet and drawer. Amazing how loose screws can get after close to 30,000 miles of highway and FS roads

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:25 PM   #13

One thing that we have done in the past when we had this problem was use velcro. We got the long roll from Walmart (pretty much any store that sells that kind thing), its something like 60" of hook side and 60" of loop side. Take the drawer out, and screw the hook side (of the hook and loop) to the inside (it makes it the back of the cabinet front as you look at it). On the other side, screw the loop side (verify that when they are installed such that the hook side faces toward you, and the loop side faces away, or vice versa to ensure they will stick to each other). Cut it long enough that each strap overlaps about 2/3s of the drawer front. When you are traveling, just velcro across the drawer front. When you get to your destination, unhook the velcro, open the drawer, and tuck the straps into the opening, outside of the drawer, just dangling in the cabinet void. Quick install, doesnt leave anything permanent, and it only takes a second to strap/unstrap.

Tags
travel