Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2024, 09:43 AM   #1

Smart Thermostat?

Our 2018 Cherokee 39 RL has the standard Dometic 457915 13.5K BTU air conditioner, ducted, with that goofy capacitive touch thermostat we all know develops it's own personality sometimes.
We are on a permament site and have internet access, I'm curious if anyone has succesfully installed a smart thermostat to run the heating/cooling units?
Willhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 12:55 PM   #2

I have, and really like, the Microair EZ-Touch thermostat.

They make them for most RV heat/cool systems with settings for furnace, heat pump, or separate A/C.

Can be controlled from touch screen, wifi, or bluetooth.

Mine replaced an OE type thermostat that had a mind of it's own. This one has "behaved" ever since I installed it a couple years ago. Customer Service from that company is also "Golden".

Their website:

https://www.microair.net/pages/the-e...xoCLPUQAvD_BwE
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 01:30 PM   #3

Thanks TitanMike, I checked it out. Doesn't seem to be a lot of retailers in Canada though, and the one I found wants almost $400 with shipping
I was wonering more about a Google Nest or an Ecobee and wondered if anyone has tried it.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:55 PM   #4

I think I just found my answer after searching a bit and I should have actually thought about this myself. Home thermostats run on 24 volts, the RV thermostats would be 12 volt, so without getting into a transformer and a lot of work, it looks like Micro Air is it.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willhound View Post
Thanks TitanMike, I checked it out. Doesn't seem to be a lot of retailers in Canada though, and the one I found wants almost $400 with shipping
I was wonering more about a Google Nest or an Ecobee and wondered if anyone has tried it.

They're only $249USD on the company's website which would be ~$338CAD. Hard to see an extra $60CAD just for shipping. Mine came in a box not much bigger than two packs of cigarettes taped edge to edge.

That said, since the $$ difference is mostly due to exchange rate the price isn't as shocking as I first thought

Might contact Microair to see what they charge to ship you you "North of the border". They do ship internationally and their website just says customer is responsible for exchange rate and tariff's if any.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 07:31 PM   #6

I'll try that. We are also subject to a 13% tax on both the sale and the shipping, so maybe not quite $400 but close. That "free" healthcare we enjoy is not "free"....
Old 03-02-2024, 08:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Fwiw, I've had a Nest go squirrely on me in a home install. It worked great for a several years but then started keeping the furnace on at the same time as the AC (fighting each other). I plan on going with a Micro-Air in my Rockwood.
JAndre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 12:49 PM   #8

Quote:
As pointed out above, the voltages are different for home thermostats vs. RV thermostats. Most importantly, RV thermostats are 12V DC, while home thermostats operate off of 24V AC.

Tags
thermostat