Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #1

Soft Start addition

Just purchased our new 2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2507S. It has the 15000 btu AC unit and a relative who has an RV with the same size AC unit is suggesting we install a soft start system on our AC. He claims it will allow us to run our AC when driveway camping and connected to household power. Additionally claims it will allow us to use a smaller 2000 watt generator when boondocking. Appreciate any insight recommendations based on others experience. Thanks
cbcapgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:36 AM   #2

This might help https://www.rvtravel.com/softstartdave954/
WD4LTO
Bookumdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #3

The answer is maybe. A lot of our friends have purchased the $400 easy start for their 15k a/c.
Can you run from a garage STD outlet? Depends on the outlet, if it's 20amp or 15amp, GFCI.....etc. sometimes they can, sometimes they can't.
From a 2000 generator? Maybe, again depends on the generator. My buddy with easy start couldn't start his a/c with his predator 2000, but he could with my Honda 2000. Also, you can't really run anything else like the converter charging the battery, fans, lots of lights, TV, etc. But if they are careful with energy usage, the 2000 usually gets it done (after they turn off most everything else).
Easy Start is a great product, but it's not a miracle worker.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #4

AC soft start.

I did a bit of research and chatting with other dry campers and this is the unit I installed from Micro-Air:
https://www.microair.net/collections...-soft-starters

You would need the 364. Before installation my generator had to be off the eco mode running at high speed to start the AC. Now it easily starts from idle and you can barley hear the compressor come on. I have a Dometic BriskII and it took me about 15 minutes to install and works fabulous. With the promotion at the time in May, I paid about $275 for the unit. The SDoftStart from RVnetworks is not the same thing, basically a capacitor upgrade where the Micro-Air actually changs the ramp up amps after a 5 start learning process. Check the videos on their site.
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemal View Post
I did a bit of research and chatting with other dry campers and this is the unit I installed from Micro-Air:
https://www.microair.net/collections...-soft-starters

You would need the 364. Before installation my generator had to be off the eco mode running at high speed to start the AC. Now it easily starts from idle and you can barley hear the compressor come on. I have a Dometic BriskII and it took me about 15 minutes to install and works fabulous. With the promotion at the time in May, I paid about $275 for the unit. The SDoftStart from RVnetworks is not the same thing, basically a capacitor upgrade where the Micro-Air actually changs the ramp up amps after a 5 start learning process. Check the videos on their site.
X2
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #6

Thanks for the info and suggestions. Much appreciated
Old 07-08-2020, 03:00 PM   #7

it seems like an awful lot of money for those 'few' instances that your 'friend' is telling you about, if you are even that concerned about it yourself. Many of us run our roof a/c unit off a standard household plug, and while your's is a slightly larger size, with more amperage pull when the compressor initially kicks on, a 'regular' household 20amp sized outlet and breaker would work just fine. You may already have that size at your home to start with, and don't 'need' to spend any money. The outlet 'looks' just the same as a 15amp outlet, but has more capacity and a larger breaker - many garages and outside outlets are on a 20amp circuit already.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #8

I've followed Mike Sokol at RVtravel.com and he is a genius with electricity, he did extensive testing and said this one works
https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...-hrdl-testing/

Check it out, not cheap but if you can run an AC with a 2,000 watt generator it might be worth it. I'm going to see about running two AC off my 3500
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
I've followed Mike Sokol at RVtravel.com and he is a genius with electricity, he did extensive testing and said this one works
https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...-hrdl-testing/

Check it out, not cheap but if you can run an AC with a 2,000 watt generator it might be worth it. I'm going to see about running two AC off my 3500
Keep in mind that Micro-Air also warranties your compressor for 2 years at no charge.
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:01 AM   #10

Good info Thanks
Old 07-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #11

Most of the discussion and ads for soft start don’t bother to explain how they are different from a set of capacitors. Basically the capacitor stores up a charge and can release it very er fast, they can even raise the voltage on the line for a very short period. Increasing the size of the capacitor beyond what the spec is for the motor it is used on can potentially damage that motor.

A soft starter works by modifying the voltage and a variable frequency motor controller aka VFD varies the frequency of the current. the soft start will apply a lower voltage to reduce the torque and ramp it up until it is at full voltage. Typical US frequency is 60hz.. The VFD will modify that down to something like 30 hz. Since an a/c motor spins based on the frequency of the current this has the effect of starting the motor slowly and then by manipulating the frequency stepping the speed of the motor up until it is operating full speed and at 60hz. A VFD can also make a motor run smoother and cooler after startup. That why a capacitor costs $10 and a soft start or VFD cost way more. Different beasts.

What the easy start and other makers won’t tell you is how they are doing it and if they are using a combination of these techniques. Guess you’d have to tear one down to know. Also both techniques reduce the strain on start up and can extend the life of the motor.
SantaFe big sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:15 PM   #12
Retired Panpsychist

Just installed the MicroAir on our TT with a 15k Coleman Mach AC. Using our Honda 2200i, the AC starts easily (ECO off) and runs well (ECO on). I've even had the a few (LED) lights on AND the 32" TV. Not cheap, but YGWYPF!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:36 PM   #13

I also installed a Microair easy start. I have a yamaha 2400 which ran the 135k AC in my last camper fine. I got a new camper that also has a 13.5k but the genny would not runn it consistantly. With the easy start it never misses a beat.