Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #1

Soft start vs easy start which would you choose?

Wanting to modify my Coleman mach AC does anybody have an opinion on soft start versus easy start brands?

Thank you in advance for your input
Playhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:23 PM   #2

The Micro Air seems to have a significant following and great reputation. I have one getting ready to install a second one, no complaints, works as advertised.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
Site Team

There are tons of threads here, about the Micro Air.
A quick search will get you lots of feedback.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #4

Micro Air works great. Easy one hour DIY install.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #5

The technology in either one is proven tech. Been used for years in various industrial applications to merely ramp the starting voltages so there isn't as much inrush current and in some cases extra mechanical strain on parts.

Essentially you have two devices that get you to the same destination. One costs $299, the other costs $299.

If I were inclined to install one or the other on my A/C I'd probably give each company a call and have them tell me what sets them apart from the other.

Then I'd probably just flip a coin.

I'm sure that the Micro-Air Easy Start will have a lot of favorable reviews but I think they've had their product on the market longer.

If looking for price, SoftStart has some nice discounts but I hear that Micro-Air offers discounts too.

Like I said, flip a coin.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:00 AM   #6

Soft Start has a $30 discount right now. It is also the unit Mike Sokol (The RV electrical Guru) has been testing. Just bought one and am thoroughly studying where and how on the install before cutting any wires.
Hardest part was figuring out which air conditioner I had. The Soft Start wiring diagrams, directions, and installation videos are listed by brand & name of AC series. NONE of my documents (including the AC installation manual that I have) or labels (Internal or external) ever refer to the series name like Dometic Brisk, which, based on my AC manual and model number, has best I can tell the same wiring diagram. VERY annoying! Otherwise the job would have been done last week.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #7

I have a SoftStart and took about 45 min to install. If your not sure on install they have where you ask them to help. They will call you and walk you through the install over the phone. Which I did. I love mine use it all the time when I am home hooked up to 15amp outlet no problem at all.
Hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #8

They are making a fortune on these units. Essentially, they are just capacitors. Cheap on their own. If you are moderately DIY, you could do it too pretty reasonably
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #9

I don't know if this helps you all,but YouTube has a video on a ez start capacitor that goes in the A/C. I have done this and can easily
run my 15000 btu unit on 20 amps. Cost me $20ish area.
mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
They are making a fortune on these units. Essentially, they are just capacitors. Cheap on their own. If you are moderately DIY, you could do it too pretty reasonably

The Micro-Air is much more than a capacitor. It actually has timing circuits to manage the start.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
I don't know if this helps you all,but YouTube has a video on a ez start capacitor that goes in the A/C. I have done this and can easily
run my 15000 btu unit on 20 amps. Cost me $20ish area.
Thank you. This was my whole point. You don't have to spend a fortune
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:00 PM   #12

Thanks for all the helpful info I went with the easy start.
Playhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:49 PM   #13

Just my thoughts with no proof to back up.
The Micro Air unit requires you to do 5 starts on shore power after the install. My understanding is that the Soft Start does not have this requirement.
So, my thought is that the Micro Air "learns" the power requirements to start YOUR AC unit. It may remember what is needed for an initial start after being off for a while and what may be needed for a restart after a shorter off period. Since Soft start does not have a "learn" routine, I expect that the manufacturer determined an average for power requirements and applies it to all units.
How much of a difference this makes is unknown to me...
Personally, if I were buying a unit, I think I would get the Micro Air mostly because I think they've been around longer.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:02 PM   #14

I just installed a MIcro Air Easy Start on my Coleman mach AC.

Actually, I had it installed. One hour service charge by my local RV shop.

I run it with my Honda EU2000i.

As recommended by the Mfg., I run the generator on Eco mode.

Wow!! It works great! My AC doesn't even make the generator run full out. There is Wattage still available for running everything else in the trailer, all at once, except the microwave.

So now when on the road, I carry the generator in the trailer. When stopping for lunch, I pull out the extenstion cord, start the generator, start the AC, put out the slide, and "take five" while my wife prepares lunch in airconditioned comfort.

Since the last outing, I've added a 6-gal. marine auxiliary fuel tank and connecting hose from the fuel tank to the Honda. Now when I boondock, I can run over two days, round the clock, with AC etc. And that's with the generator running 24 hrs/day. Since I never run it 24 hours, I'm looking forward to seeing just how many days I can run without refueling.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
Since I never run it 24 hours, I'm looking forward to seeing just how many days I can run without refueling.
Fill the tank on the generator full up, run for a couple hours (exactly) and fill up again using a measure like a cheap plastic 2 cup measure.

Divide that amount by 2 and you have the burn rate for an hour. If you burned 1/4 gallon per hour, that means that the extra 6 gallons will run for 24 hours at the same consumption rate plus whatever the generator tank holds.

Not sure you'll be able to run "days" but probably a long time.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #16
Retired Panpsychist

Micro-Air here. My EU2200i powers it nicely in ECO mode. I've had a few lights and the TV on while the aircon is running. I'm sure that turning on the microwave would cause the 2200i to trip-off.

Even though I'm a DIY person, I'm pretty cautious by nature. Even I was able to install it once I summoned the courage to step off the ladder and onto the roof!

Also, Micro-Air has given discount codes through various YouTube channels. I got mine last December using a discount code from the RVGEEKS. After discount, the Micro-Air cost me $274.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper")
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:30 PM   #17
NXR

I just saw this thread because someone else referenced it. I decided to go with the Micro-Air EasyStart for our Atwood AC-1511 units (made by Dometic). Earlier this year (2021) the discount code of AIRSTREAM gave $40 off per unit.

If you happen to have the Atwood AC-1511 or AC-1361 units that FR uses on some of their motorhome models, the PDF in this link might be of interest: http://www.micro-air.com/support-doc...aintenance.pdf

When I installed mine I wrote up step-by-step instructions in case I ever have to do it again. I also included the step-by-step instructions on how to clean the A/C evaporator coil, which is usually an annual task.

When I talked to Micro-Air they said they did not have much info on the Atwoods. After I wrote the doc I sent it to Micro-Air and said they could pass it along to anyone else who might need directions. They posted it on their web site.

If you're installing a SoftStartRV the wiring will be somewhat different due to an extra wire but the access steps and where everything is located should still be the same.

Hopefully this can help someone else,

Ray
Old 10-25-2021, 12:49 AM   #18

Toss a coin, they both work as advertised. I’ll give my experience with SoftstartRV.. installing on Saturday afternoon, late.. around 5pm… had some issues with wiring. I called their help line not even sure I would get help that late. I talked to their call service and told them my situation. They said they would try to get me help. I hung up figuring that was the end of help from them. A few minutes later my phone rang and it was Bill from Softstart… walked me thru some issues and said call him if needed. I needed and called him back at the number he called from and reached him…long story short the unit is up and running. Thank you SoftstarRV and Bill…
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The technology in either one is proven tech. Been used for years in various industrial applications to merely ramp the starting voltages so there isn't as much inrush current and in some cases extra mechanical strain on parts.

Essentially you have two devices that get you to the same destination. One costs $299, the other costs $299.

If I were inclined to install one or the other on my A/C I'd probably give each company a call and have them tell me what sets them apart from the other.

Then I'd probably just flip a coin.

I'm sure that the Micro-Air Easy Start will have a lot of favorable reviews but I think they've had their product on the market longer.

If looking for price, SoftStart has some nice discounts but I hear that Micro-Air offers discounts too.

Like I said, flip a coin.
I can tell you one thing. I had a problem installing my soft start (my incompetence) and there support was nothing but spectacular with their tech on the phone walking me through it and trying to resolve the issue I was having. Plus AAAA support from Soft Start. Joe Schulte
vmfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
The Micro-Air is much more than a capacitor. It actually has timing circuits to manage the start.

The soft start is the same way.
vmfa is offline   Reply With Quote