Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2021, 11:55 AM   #1

Solar for ebiking while boondocking

How much solar power would I need to install on my fifth wheel to accomplish the following?

Charge two ebikes with 36v 12amp batteries
Watch 4hrs of tv at 65watts
Use lights as necessary (all are led)
Keep computer and phones charged
Run water pump as needed
Furnace fan as needed

I have a Westinghouse Igen 2200 I can supplement with but would prefer not to use it more than an hour or so a day. I am planning on using two golf cart batteries from Sam’s Club as some members have suggested. I’m hoping 200-300 watts of panels will be enough. How far off am I?
comfun1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #2

Shooting totally from the hip, sounds light.
To math it out, you'll need to make sun angle and time estimates. Shade?

For what panels cost, cover the whole dang roof. [emoji16]
aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #3

Two 100 watt panels in full sun will cover basic trailer power: DC for propane fridge & water heater, LED lights, and occasional water pump usage, USB device charging, & efficient cooling fans.

Cloudy day or two, or shaded site, and you start falling behind.

We have had two trailers each with two 100 watt panels, and they will support the items above in full sun.

Your problems are the e-bike charging and the heater fan. 36V will require an inverter, and the furnace fan is a power hog. Run occasionally, or all night?

You did not mention if the TV was 12 or 120. At 120, you see the inverter losses add to the power budget. Same with inverter for computer charging.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:39 PM   #4

My TV is 120v 65 watt and I have a small 100 watt inverter I bought years ago to charge phones in my truck. Where my tv is mounted is a 12v socket that I can plug the inverter into. For the bicycle batteries I thought I could mount another inverter in the battery compartment of the camper. I don't know what size it would need to be for the ebike batteries? Would 400 watt work?
comfun1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:39 AM   #5

I do pretty much the same as the OP wants to do with my TT.

Run the same items with the exception of only ONE e-bike.

If the sun cooperates I've been able to meet this load using a 160 watt portable solar kit. The one thing to consider though is that I have a pair of LiFePo4 batteries so whatever charging current is produced, the batteries store. Very little wasted energy as is the case with FlA batteries.

I can meet all my electrical needs, again with cooperation from the sun, with 3-5 hours of charging at an average of 10 amps from the 160 watt solar array.

An FLA battery will take longer just for the absorption stage alone.

I just finished building a 200 watt portable solar kit and the extra 40 watts will give me a little more headroom in my charging capability.

200 watts might not be adequate if the roof panels are mounted flat on the roof due to loss of efficiency. How much will depend on where one is camping due to shade, latitude, sun, etc.

To answer the last question, 400 watts should be adequate as long as you factor in the last comments I made.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, solar