Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #1

Some civility....

Recent posts have shown that there are some angry owners, not exactly happy with their Concertone unit. I think we all understand that part.

Just as many should admit that we now have a face or a name associated with Concertone, a dynamic presence, after many years of being invisible.

This gent has shown lots of guts and has worked hard on improving everything, all around.

Might I suggest that Personal Messages could be a better option for specific issues. Airing in public our dirty laundry is not always the best course of action.

I suggest that if we do not start showing some degree of civility and politeness, that we will lose this valuable resource and we will not be better for it.

RV audio/video devices made in the US for low volume sales (that radio in your car is made in the 100,000s if not millions, as is that home stereo) installed in square boxes with no shock absorbers at highway speed, may need to improve, we all agree - but blasting the sole representative will lead nowhere.

So please - let's all appreciate the incredible resource we have and PLEASE LET'S BEHAVE

Never forget: There is a saying in retail that one unhappy customer will tell ten, but that 9 of 10 happy customers will tell no one.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #2

Miatared:
Often you catch more flies with honey than vinegar...but I always wonder why folks want flies? It is often better to be polite than to be angry. If folks are having a problem though, asking questions here seems to make sense though.

But alas, I will add this, until auto companies started using outside audio companies like JBL, Bose, Boston Acoustics, Clarion and the like, car radios were the pits...ooh the booming sound of a Delco.. what a piece of junk.

What I have observed is perhaps folks expect Alpine sound out of something that clearly can not give it. When we fired it up in our Roo, it was a radio built into the camper and sounded about as good as a boom box. It is what it is and there is no reason to complain about it. Now if I had an option for a premium JBL or Alpine system, maybe I go for it...

Now on quality, maybe either FR or Concertone could build be better deck to withstand vibration and so forth. Maybe FR could islolate vibration in this area of the trailer? I wonder how long those "outside" speakers will really last? Are they built to take moisture and resist the corrosion that comes with it. This is one area that FR could simply buy marine grade components and move them to the RV platform. The day I have to replace them it will be with a high quality boat speaker.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #3

Actually I have noticed a huge decline in Concertone complaints since Mr. Fields has joined the forum, so his presence has had a positive effect. I hope that he has noticed this as well.

As you pointed out in your post, most people post their problems rather than their postive experiences. I think sometimes we notice the negatives more than the positives as well. But one of the reasons for this forum is for people to find help for their problems. After spending several thousands of dollars for an RV they like things to work properly whether it's top quality or not. Sometimes their frustrations show in their post. As fellow Rv'ers and froum members we need to recognize this and show a little patience and tolerance.

Thanks to Mr. Fields for joining this forum and all the help he has provided.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #4

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Actually I have noticed a huge decline in Concertone complaints since Mr. Fields has joined the forum, so his presence has had a positive effect. I hope that he has noticed this as well.

As you pointed out in your post, most people post their problems rather than their postive experiences. I think sometimes we notice the negatives more than the positives as well. But one of the reasons for this forum is for people to find help for their problems. After spending several thousands of dollars for an RV they like things to work properly whether it's top quality or not. Sometimes their frustrations show in their post. As fellow Rv'ers and froum members we need to recognize this and show a little patience and tolerance.

Thanks to Mr. Fields for joining this forum and all the help he has provided.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
The Old Man

So far I have no complaints about my Concertone unit (a 2010 model). But even if I did, expecting high-performance audio like my expensive home system seems unreasonable. I don't know the wholesale cost of these units but I'm sure it's not much relative to most other 3rd-party components. If the performance of the Concertone is inadequate, then spend the money to get whatever you want and can afford and quit your bellyaching.

Sure, we all expect things to work properly, but I just don't understand the vehemence over failures in these units compared to failures with slides, refrigerators, AC, water heaters, converters, or any of a number of actual critical components.

Last year, when the television in my brand-new unit was DOA I was miffed a bit, but that just gave me a good reason to catch up on my reading for a change. It's not like the toilet wasn't working. Where on this forum are the manufacturer reps from Coleman, Dometic, Suburban, Magic Chef, or even FOREST RIVER?

Congrats to Bob and Concertone for making the effort to actually get direct feedback from his end users (not even his actual customers which are the manufacturers).

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #6

I am fairly new to this forum and since joining I have absorbed copious amounts of information. Lots good and pertinent to my situation and lots not so, however all info is good info. I have even made some comments, albeit some in a light hearted manner with no real value other than social conversation. I have observed many posts from well learned fellow forum members, who have done their homework and passed along this good info for everyone. Hats off to those guys. It truely is fortunate when we have direct contact with industry folk such as the 'RV Guy' and 'Bob Fields'. And I take my hats off to those guys as well. Some say they have intestinal fortitude, but I feel it is part of their business to stay informed and what better way than to become members of a forum. I have witnessed many comments by said "Bob Fields" and I have certainly detected a sense of sarcasm and lack of understanding of customers concerns. He has made personal attacks and vitriol comments directed at other forum members. This, I find, to be unacceptable, and he should be able to take the feedback. In other words, if you can't take it, do give it. Remember, this site is endrosed by Forest River Owners Group (F.R.O.G.) and in turn by Forest River, which represents all the manufacturers of the components that make a RV. If they are here, whether openly advertising themselves or lurking incognito, they need to be aware of issues and accept the wrath of dissatisfied customers. My last comment, take one for the gipper, lets move on and make this site and our camping experience a better one.

nuff said
$0.02
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Remember, this site is endrosed by Forest River Owners Group (F.R.O.G.) and in turn by Forest River, which represents all the manufacturers of the components that make a RV.
This site is not endorsed by Forest River. This is a forum that includes members that own Forest River products.....there is no other connection.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #8

I'm Happy!
buckisland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
This site is not endorsed by Forest River. This is a forum that includes members that own Forest River products.....there is no other connection.

My comment reflects the endorsement of F.R.O.G. on the Forest River website and also F.R.O.G. use of this website. By association, there is an endorsement. I see that you are a moderator and you have the right to censor this site, but please accept facts.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 03-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
My comment reflects the endorsement of F.R.O.G. on the Forest River website and also F.R.O.G. use of this website. By association, there is an endorsement. I see that you are a moderator and you have the right to censor this site, but please accept facts.
I didn't censor anything....I was just making a comment. Others, please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the FROG name got started right here with the rally in Branson, and then Forest River used it for the photo contest. I don't consider that an endorsement.

I honestly don't think Forest River would ever endorse this site, with as much complaining that members do with their products.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I didn't censor anything....I was just making a comment. Others, please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the FROG name got started right here with the rally in Branson, and then Forest River used it for the photo contest. I don't consider that an endorsement.

I honestly don't think Forest River would ever endorse this site, with as much complaining that members do with their products.

I stand to be corrected and retract the endorsement statement, but I stand by my other comments...

This is a great forum, let's keep it that way.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 03-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
Camp Ninja

I see a guy like Bob taking the heat he does and I have nothing but respect for the man. I've been on the receiving end of that heat and like how he handles it. There are a multitude of things things that can be root causes for problems with a 12v audio system. Some of them manufacturer related, some installer related, and some even can be customer related.

I think the few that watch this sub-forum and look for any opportunity to take a dig at Bob or Concertone need to get a hobby that involves less negativity.

I have had 2 Forest River trailers. The first one's speakers were mis-wired. I fixed that myself. The 2nd one has a ZX690. Not a bad unit... but not a great unit. I'm anxiously awaiting the new model with some HD support.
jfmoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #13

I have had my unit .2008 8313 for 6 months and went on a 30 day trip in snow and ice then sunny florida. My concertone has worked flawlessly. Played CD movies, TV and sirius radio.and AM and FM radio,No problems yet . Thanks to Bob for answering a few questions for me when I first got my unit
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #14

I am happy with my Concertone and really appreciatte that Bob is here to support his product
I have also asked Bob for some info and within a few days he got me what I was looking for -
I can say this - I am getting tired of seeing the Bob bashing - alot of it is un-called for IMO and glad Bob is sticking around
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Times several.

If we were even slightly more civil with factory reps and customer service folks who lurk here; maybe more would "come out" for a beer.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Times several.

If we were even slightly more civil with factory reps and customer service folks who lurk here; maybe more would "come out" for a beer.
Agree 100%
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote