Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 06:08 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
bpa098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Westmoreland
Posts: 331
Suburban furnace won't stay running

Hi guys, been off here a while. Had a great camping season. We're out this weekend for one last trip and it's cold!

Last night around 9pm I fired up the furnace. Ran without a problem till around 11-12 when we headed to bed. Woke up at 3am, matress heater was keeping me warm but it was chilly. Turned up thermostat, all the way to 90, wouldn't come on. Propane gone? Nope, stove lite fine. Breaker or fuse? Nope all good there. Searched here saw someone say turn off thermostat and back on.... Yay it's running again.

Get cozy back in bed, 10 minutes later goes back off. No way I'm up to temp. Well maybe 4-5 times now I've turned it off and on and it only runs about 10 minutes.

Going to be even colder tonight. Any thoughts? Things I can check? I'm not that technical with terminology but I'm semi handy. It's a brand new palomino 213x hybrid. I'll try to find the furnace model
__________________

bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
bpa098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Westmoreland
Posts: 331
Just noticed, turned off and on again that it's blowing air but not hot like last night
__________________

bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
bpa098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Westmoreland
Posts: 331
Just tried again. Got warm for a moment but quickly cooled off and shut down. Maybe low on propane, enough to light stove but not enough to keep furnace going? Waiting for my girl to get up so I can check tanks. Fill them up and see what happens
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
MarsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Maritime Provinces
Posts: 239
Hope it is a simple as not enough propane pressure... there maybe enough to create flow at the stove but not enough for the level of consumption the furnace needs... I will always try to keep mine 1/2 or better.

please give us an update
__________________
MarsMan

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
MarsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Maritime Provinces
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa098 View Post
Hi guys, been off here a while. Had a great camping season. We're out this weekend for one last trip and it's cold!

Last night around 9pm I fired up the furnace. Ran without a problem till around 11-12 when we headed to bed. Woke up at 3am, matress heater was keeping me warm but it was chilly. Turned up thermostat, all the way to 90, wouldn't come on. Propane gone? Nope, stove lite fine. Breaker or fuse? Nope all good there. Searched here saw someone say turn off thermostat and back on.... Yay it's running again.

Get cozy back in bed, 10 minutes later goes back off. No way I'm up to temp. Well maybe 4-5 times now I've turned it off and on and it only runs about 10 minutes.

Going to be even colder tonight. Any thoughts? Things I can check? I'm not that technical with terminology but I'm semi handy. It's a brand new palomino 213x hybrid. I'll try to find the furnace model
Do you have enough voltage (12V system)?
__________________
MarsMan

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
bpa098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Westmoreland
Posts: 331
I'm hooked to shore power
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bpa098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Westmoreland
Posts: 331
One tank was half or more. The other tank was pretty well empty, just filled it. Tried again no luck. Just fought opening the out side panel. It's model sf-20q. Gonna try again. Doesn't seem to be lighting
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
bpa098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Westmoreland
Posts: 331
Getting hot exhaust
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
bpa098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Westmoreland
Posts: 331
Keeps clicking, exhaust gets hot but then cools to just warm. Blower going strong, getting cooler prob gonna shut off again
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
MarsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Maritime Provinces
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa098 View Post
Just tried again. Got warm for a moment but quickly cooled off and shut down. Maybe low on propane, enough to light stove but not enough to keep furnace going? Waiting for my girl to get up so I can check tanks. Fill them up and see what happens
anything blocking the interior cold air or hot air vents? I am wondering if there is an high Temp shut off and air is not being moved? just grasping at straws. You are hooked to shore power. Have you verified you are getting 12V from the battery- just want to make sure converter is working as it should..
__________________
MarsMan

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 16,428
If there is any obstruction at the heater vent it will make it shut down. I'd remove the gratt and check for any debris inside the furnace area. Later RJD
__________________
2020 Shasta Phoenix SPF 27RKSS
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 24
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:54 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Henderson, KY
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
If there is any obstruction at the heater vent it will make it shut down. I'd remove the gratt and check for any debris inside the furnace area. Later RJD
And to go along with that check the outside inlet and exhaust vents as well.
Could be a spider set up shop in one of them or a mud dauber if you don't have screens in place.
__________________
2014 Coachman Clipper 17FQ
2011 Ford Ranger 4X4
Kenrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
I had a very similar problem, furnace would lite for a few minutes and then shut off. Get some heat out of the vents and the exhaust then it would turn cold. My burner had gone bad, rusted out and the flame/heat sensor was not reading the proper temps. Had to have the burner replaced after I returned from a cold few nights.

I always have a ceramic heater or two in the trailer now. Costco has the oscillating ones that have automatic temp controls, almost all I use to heat my trailer now.

Good luck.
CountryGravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
MarsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Maritime Provinces
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGravy View Post
I had a very similar problem, furnace would lite for a few minutes and then shut off. Get some heat out of the vents and the exhaust then it would turn cold. My burner had gone bad, rusted out and the flame/heat sensor was not reading the proper temps. Had to have the burner replaced after I returned from a cold few nights.

I always have a ceramic heater or two in the trailer now. Costco has the oscillating ones that have automatic temp controls, almost all I use to heat my trailer now.

Good luck.
I may try that when we are hooked up to shore power. They run around 1200 Watts a piece?
__________________
MarsMan

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,644
Send a message via AIM to B and B
I would turn propane off and use a vacuum to suck or blow dirt out of the outside event. There could be a spider nest inside, I have had this happen myself.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
I just grabbed it out of the garage, it runs 1500 watts 60 hz.

I only have to use one to keep warm, like you said with shore power of course.

Here's the info on the ones I have:
Bionaire
Model BCH9214RE
120 V, 60 Hz, 1500 W
Made by Sunbeam Products Inc
CountryGravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
camper1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
anything blocking the interior cold air or hot air vents? I am wondering if there is an high Temp shut off and air is not being moved? just grasping at straws. You are hooked to shore power. Have you verified you are getting 12V from the battery- just want to make sure converter is working as it should..
x2 check for blockage in the vents especially the outside one for bug nest. Same thing happened to me. I doubt it is lower propane pressure. If that does not work probably the heat limit switch
__________________
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
2011 GMC 2500HD Diesel
camper1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #18
Member
 
lil2low's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mission BC
Posts: 46
There could be a flame sensor that needs to be cleaned. With residential furnaces, the furnace will start up and shut down because the flame sensor isn't being triggered. It's a safety feature on all furnaces. I would assume trailer furnaces are pretty similar. If you find the sensor, lightly sand the rod that goes into the flame and reinstall, you might get your furnace going again.
lil2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #19
mikejm
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 82
call suburban. Furnace warranty good for 2 years. Sounds as if mother board going bad. It happened to me last winter. Forest River 320RS.
mikejm
mikejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
I may try that when we are hooked up to shore power. They run around 1200 Watts a piece?
Usually 1500 watts so a 15 amp GFI is fine to use. The better ones have two settings, 750 watts and 1500 watts.

If you are paying for the electric at a cg, and almost all do charge extra for it, you are foolish not to use it. Unless you are at a cg that meters your usage, then propane might be cheaper. They are far and few between though. Usually that is only done on seasonal or year round sites.

Try to plug it into a receptacle that has nothing else plugged in to it. That way you won't trip the breaker. If you are going to use two keep them on different circuits.

I prefer a spot that has my coffee pot, a Keurig, on the same circuit. I just shut the heater off for the couple of minutes it take to make it. You can't run anything that draws a heavy load on the same circuit as the heater. If the heater has a low setting you might get away with running something on the same circuit but all bets are off. My Keurig draws too much but have a cheap Black and Decker pot that I can get away with. A toaster will trip the breaker with heater on low also. Most of them will draw too much power.

Jim
__________________

__________________
07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
furnace, suburban

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.


×