Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #1

Suburban Oven door won't close fully

The door on my 2014 suburban oven stays open about a half an inch at the top. Besides letting the heat out it's damaging the front of the oven. I've already tried replacing the springs after calling Suburban tech support. There's no adjustment. Any one know of a fix for this?
ChuckvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:26 PM   #2

When you open the door, Is the door open flat ?
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:36 PM   #3

Yes, when fully open the door appears to be level. Maybe I can add washers to the hinge inside to change the angle of the door to the hinge and have it more closed when shut?
Old 11-30-2020, 08:41 PM   #4

Any chance of getting a picture?
Old 12-01-2020, 02:01 PM   #5

Should be attached here. Nothing looks bent, but the seals in the door should touch the oven face. I think i can make it work with washers inside the door between the hinges and the door panel. It will position the door more closed for the same hinge position.

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201201_051103.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	243989  
Old 12-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #6

Replace the hinges! I have had to do it twice and it is the ohly cure
Old 12-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #7

The hinges are brand new. The design is poor as the quality control seems to leave them with little closing force in the closed position. And nothing is bent or off. If I can stack washers inside I can, I think get the door more closed for the same hinge angle.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #8

Gap at bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckvB View Post
The hinges are brand new. The design is poor as the quality control seems to leave them with little closing force in the closed position. And nothing is bent or off. If I can stack washers inside I can, I think get the door more closed for the same hinge angle.
Won't that create a gap at the bottom?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:13 PM   #9

Probably not if I only put them on the top of the hinge. It's not like a normal door hinge so I'm hoping to make it pivot around the bottom of the two screws by putting more or all of them on the top screw. If I head into town I'll get some washers otherwise it will have to wait until the weekend.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckvB View Post
Probably not if I only put them on the top of the hinge. It's not like a normal door hinge so I'm hoping to make it pivot around the bottom of the two screws by putting more or all of them on the top screw. If I head into town I'll get some washers otherwise it will have to wait until the weekend.
Chuck: I experienced the same exact problem with my 2013 Flagstaff equipped with the Suburban ove. The problem was created when I accidentally leaned on the open stove door to stand upright. I bent an are of the stove body where the hinges enter into the stove. It is a very easy repair to correct the problem! I have attached an instruction sheet to remove the door for the repair. Hope is attaches as a PDF. If not, I will need your e-mail address. The problem is when you lean on the door, it causes the two hinges to pull the metal frame surrounding the hinges outward. If you place your finger adjacent to the hinges, you will feel a slight bulge of the metal frame and this is what causes the hinge NOT to allow complete closure of the door. By removing the door, simply take a hammer and beat the metal frame inward and remove the bulge. This will cure the problem. Suburban needs to increase the thickness of the frame are to eliminate the bulge caused by leaning on the door. HOPE my hasty presentation cures the issue. It did for my stove. Now the PDF (I hope will attach).

SORRY, I could not readily locate the door removal instructions. Will search and attach at a later time!
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #11

Have you tried it with all the racks out? You changed the hinges ? Or just the springs? If you take off the door and close the hinges what does it look like?
Old 12-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by l001952119 View Post
Chuck: I experienced the same exact problem with my 2013 Flagstaff equipped with the Suburban ove. The problem was created when I accidentally leaned on the open stove door to stand upright. I bent an are of the stove body where the hinges enter into the stove. It is a very easy repair to correct the problem! I have attached an instruction sheet to remove the door for the repair. Hope is attaches as a PDF. If not, I will need your e-mail address. The problem is when you lean on the door, it causes the two hinges to pull the metal frame surrounding the hinges outward. If you place your finger adjacent to the hinges, you will feel a slight bulge of the metal frame and this is what causes the hinge NOT to allow complete closure of the door. By removing the door, simply take a hammer and beat the metal frame inward and remove the bulge. This will cure the problem. Suburban needs to increase the thickness of the frame are to eliminate the bulge caused by leaning on the door. HOPE my hasty presentation cures the issue. It did for my stove. Now the PDF (I hope will attach).

SORRY, I could not readily locate the door removal instructions. Will search and attach at a later time!

Located and attached the oven door removal instructions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suburban oven door removal sheet.png
Views:	3988
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	244021  
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, suburban