Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #1

Suburban oven in Salem hemisphere problem

We bought a Salem hemisphere 356 QBQ and this is our first time staying in it. We used the oven to bake cinnamon rolls lit the pilot and set the temp. 30 sec later the pilot went out. We relit the pilot set the temp it turned on again and we put the rolls in but every 30 secs the oven goes out. We are constantly relighting it which is quite difficult when the oven finally heats up. Has anyone else had this issue and what should we do? We will definitely call the rv place on tomorrow.
Diana63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #2

Suburban oven not staying lit on Salem hemisphere 356

We bought a Salem hemisphere 356 QBQ and this is our first time staying in it. We used the oven to bake cinnamon rolls lit the pilot and set the temp to 350,30 sec later the pilot went out. We relit the pilot set the temp it turned on again and we put the rolls in but every 30 secs the oven goes out. We are constantly relighting it which is quite difficult when the oven finally heats up. I tried raising the temp to 450 and it seemed that the oven stayed on, but you can't bake everything at that temp! Has anyone else had this issue and what did you all do? We will definitely call the rv place tomorrow.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Site Team

I answered in your other thread.
Maybe one of the site team can merge the two.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #4

And if not, the answer is that Suburban had a manufacturing defect in a certain range (pun not intended) of ranges where the pilot orifice was drilled to the incorrect size. Once the oven reached temperature, it would throttle back the flame but the defect would cause the pilot to go out too. I contacted my dealer, gave the model and serial and Suburban sent out a repair kit. He couldn't let me install it myself so I had to drag the unit in and leave it for a few days until his gas appliance tech could do the 15 minute job.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #5

To me it sounds like air in the lines. Have you turned a top stove burner on and let it burn for a few minutes? Then light your oven pilot light. I have had three campers and all are about the same. Pilot lights are just on that 'edge' of burning very low or being 'blown out'. Is your valve at the propane tank opened all the way?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana63 View Post
We bought a Salem hemisphere 356 QBQ and this is our first time staying in it. We used the oven to bake cinnamon rolls lit the pilot and set the temp. 30 sec later the pilot went out. We relit the pilot set the temp it turned on again and we put the rolls in but every 30 secs the oven goes out. We are constantly relighting it which is quite difficult when the oven finally heats up. Has anyone else had this issue and what should we do? We will definitely call the rv place on tomorrow.
Had the same problem with the Suburban Oven in our 2015 Flagstaff V-Lite. It worked fine up to 350F anything over that the pilot would go out the first time it cycled. Had it back to the dealer for repair as soon as the part came in (3months later). The replacement part was no better and did exactly the same thing. While we were awaiting yet another replacement part (another 4 months) we traded our rig, at the same dealer, for a 2017 SuperLite trailer, (so don't know if it ever got fixed). This new unit's oven appears to be working, at least on just one try so far. Obviously there was a manufacturing defect. Hopefully, Suburban have now come up with a functioning repair kit for it.
kcdelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #7

We had a strange thing happen to us on our last trip out. The pilot lit ok, but when we went to light the burner, flames shot up along side the burner about 8 inches. Thank goodness the bottom of the oven is metal. Lots of fire just not in the burner. It was in a Salem also. 336rlt
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #8
Site Team

I had this issue with a Suburban oven in a trailer I bought used so no dealer help. I contacted Suburban by email (sorry, don't have the address), answered a few of their questions and received, free of charge, a new part with instructions on how to install it. Problem solved.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #9

My problem is that anything below 400 degrees goes out and anything above it stays lit. Thanks for everyone's help. We will call the the dealer tomorrow and if that doesn't solve it, we'll call suburban. This is a 2017 still under warranty.

Tags
salem, suburban