Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2022, 07:33 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 14
Suburban oven pilot issues

My brother and I both have suburban ovens in our travel trailers. He has been having trouble with the popping pilot light and then unit going out. We took a look in mine since I wanted to show him how my pilot works and it does the same thing. My wife and I can get 20 minutes out of ours, long enough to cook a few biscuits but just like his it will shut off eventually. He has replaced the pilot, control unit and ordered a thermocouple.not sure if thermocouple will fix or not, but still the same prior to that.
Any ideas on this? My stove is in a 2018 camper, his 2010. Same symptoms. I donít mind ordering parts but would be nice to hear some input on what might fix it. It seems really minor, as in mine almost works right.
TTTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:45 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTom View Post
My brother and I both have suburban ovens in our travel trailers. He has been having trouble with the popping pilot light and then unit going out. We took a look in mine since I wanted to show him how my pilot works and it does the same thing. My wife and I can get 20 minutes out of ours, long enough to cook a few biscuits but just like his it will shut off eventually. He has replaced the pilot, control unit and ordered a thermocouple.not sure if thermocouple will fix or not, but still the same prior to that.
Any ideas on this? My stove is in a 2018 camper, his 2010. Same symptoms. I donít mind ordering parts but would be nice to hear some input on what might fix it. It seems really minor, as in mine almost works right.
This could be just a bad connection on the thermocouple or thermocouple is not fully immersed in the pilot flame .
MR.M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 14,853
This us a known issue with Suburban ovens in the mentioned years. Solved with a new pilot light assembly availabke from dealers only. Part is about $12 plus shipping and takes less than 30 minutes total. All wirk is done in oven with with a pair of wrenches and a phillips head screwdriver.

Has to do with wrong air passage size in pilot assy that results in an unstable flame that get's blown out when main burner transitions from heating to standby. Dealers were authorized to replace free under warranty but fuel to tow trailer to Dealer and back was many times the cost of part so I just bought it and replaced myself. Trouble free since.

Remove thermocouple/flame sensor from polot assy (slips out), disconnect gas line from pilot assy, remove assy from support with pgillips screwdriver. Reverse to assemble.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:09 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
This us a known issue with Suburban ovens in the mentioned years. Solved with a new pilot light assembly availabke from dealers only. Part is about $12 plus shipping and takes less than 30 minutes total. All wirk is done in oven with with a pair of wrenches and a phillips head screwdriver.

Has to do with wrong air passage size in pilot assy that results in an unstable flame that get's blown out when main burner transitions from heating to standby. Dealers were authorized to replace free under warranty but fuel to tow trailer to Dealer and back was many times the cost of part so I just bought it and replaced myself. Trouble free since.

Remove thermocouple/flame sensor from polot assy (slips out), disconnect gas line from pilot assy, remove assy from support with pgillips screwdriver. Reverse to assemble.

My brother ordered and replaced the pilot, but is still having the same problem. I looked at it with him and we made sure the pilot was in line with the thermocouple... this was prior to him ordering the new control valve assembly.. and then new thremocouple.

I guess ill call my dealer tomorrow and see if they will help. The local dealers he called weren't very helpful and wanted him to bring his whole rig in and same as you too much fuel cost.


I'm guessing you just called your dealer and they sent you the part?

Thanks
TTTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:54 PM   #5
MCTroy
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Troy.Ohio
Posts: 1,110
Following since our oven won't stay lit either. Wish the part was available without going through the dealer. They will charge $30 for the $12 part.
__________________
2015 Windjammer 3029 Diamond Edition
2018 Ram 2500
Ohio River Rat
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:57 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Following since our oven won't stay lit either. Wish the part was available without going through the dealer. They will charge $30 for the $12 part.
I spoke to my dealer and they are going to see what they can do under warranty. I think you can order one online, but Not sure if itís the revised part. Iíll update as I learn more
TTTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:33 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 14,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Following since our oven won't stay lit either. Wish the part was available without going through the dealer. They will charge $30 for the $12 part.
The dealer I purchased mine from charged me $12 for the part and $14.95 for Shipping and Handling from Suburban.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:45 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The dealer I purchased mine from charged me $12 for the part and $14.95 for Shipping and Handling from Suburban.
You donít happen to have any record of the part # do you? My model number is SRNA3LBBS and want the updated pilot assembly. Dealer dragging feet
TTTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:44 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 14,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTom View Post
You donít happen to have any record of the part # do you? My model number is SRNA3LBBS and want the updated pilot assembly. Dealer dragging feet
I don't but check pdxrvwholesale.com. They stock Suburban parts and have model/serial number references.


Adding:

In my poking around I found that the latest P/N may be # 525036 but all sources seem to be out. An E-bay vendor claims delivery mid July for ~$20 incl shipping.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 07:20 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 14
Think sheís fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I don't but check pdxrvwholesale.com. They stock Suburban parts and have model/serial number references.


Adding:

In my poking around I found that the latest P/N may be # 525036 but all sources seem to be out. An E-bay vendor claims delivery mid July for ~$20 incl shipping.
So my brother had replaced his pilot with this one, along with everything else including the tc. Out of frustration, he took the pilot out again and with a very small instrument and jewelers glasses reamed the hole slightly. Re-assembled, works flawlessly.
Dealer working on getting me a new pilotÖ so I did the same thing. Jewelers glass, flash light to illuminate, and a small small needle slight tweaking of hole. I really could not see any physical difference. Reassembled; up to temperature (400) and not one sputter.
I was careful to not go too far, in fact I wasnt sure if I had reamed the pilot hole at all, and maybe I just cleaned some junk out of itÖ whatever the case, back in business of cooking biscuits and no parts needed.
TTTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
suburban

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.