Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #1

Suburban oven pilot light hard to start

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea why my pilot light is so hard to light? I have tried turning and holding the knob in while trying to light but no good. I thought it maybe due to be turning off the gas at the bottles when I'm not using the camper and it taking ages to creep along the lines to start up again but it seems to take for ever until i get enough gas for the pilot to run steady. No other gas appliances are turned on at the same time.

cheers
Will
will2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It helps greatly to light stove top burners first then light oven pilot light.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
It helps greatly to light stove top burners first then light oven pilot light.

Turbs
That should help purge the air from the lines. Still may be a little in the line to the oven, but should dissipate quickly. Then, if it does not stay lit or is extremely hard to light, you may need a new thermocouple for the oven pilot. This is a device that senses the flame - if the flame goes out it shuts down the gas.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #4

I usually have to turn and hold in the knob for at least 5 seconds then the gas flows and it lights.

raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #5

Hi,

Yep I've made sure the top burners are lighting fine, I'm not sure about it being the thermocouple as the pilot will not light and I'm using a BBQ gas lighter on it so a steady constant flame to light the pilot not the spark.
will2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #6

Mine does the same thing - worked previously but now nothing. Pilot lights but goes out when let go the knob. Flame spreader looks good, all nice blue flame, gets everything red hot but not stay lit. Maybe the thermocouple is loose, told that by another forum. Will try to tighten and retest. If not, back to dealer - warranty.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote