Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2020, 03:58 PM   #1

Suburban pilot issues

I have a suburban oven in my trailer and for some reason all of a sudden the pilot light will not light . I am doing what I’ve always done and it seems that there is no gas coming through pilot now. I hold the knob in pilot on position and light with light but the pilot never lights. Any suggestions? Thanks
Aroberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:29 PM   #2

Welcome from New Jersey, Can you see the size of the pilot flame? If the flame isn't on the thermocouple properly it's not going to stay lit,May have a dirty pilot.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroberson View Post
I have a suburban oven in my trailer and for some reason all of a sudden the pilot light will not light . I am doing what I’ve always done and it seems that there is no gas coming through pilot now. I hold the knob in pilot on position and light with light but the pilot never lights. Any suggestions? Thanks

I am assuming you are talking about a Suburban oven and not a Suburban water heater? EDIT: I see you stated an oven in the post.

Simple First thing is to check propane. You do have propane in the cylinder(s) and they are open with the handwheel on top of the cylinder to allow propane flow?

Have you fired up the burners on the stove top to make sure you are getting propane flow to the oven?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:45 PM   #4

Yes oven sorry. Yes tanks are full and all other gas appliances are working including stove top, water heater, etc
Old 05-31-2020, 04:48 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Yes oven sorry. Yes tanks are full and all other gas appliances are working including stove top, water heater, etc

OK Great, what is the year and make of your RV?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:53 PM   #6

2019 Salem 27DBK ... it’s still under warranty due to it was bought new in august of 2019 but the closest dealer is two hours away and wanted to fix it myself if it was a simple fix
Old 05-31-2020, 04:58 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
2019 Salem 27DBK ... it’s still under warranty due to it was bought new in august of 2019 but the closest dealer is two hours away and wanted to fix it myself if it was a simple fix

Here is one thread on a similar problem:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ht-170445.html

Old 05-31-2020, 05:01 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:

Also you don't necessarily have to take it back to the dealer even for warranty. You can contact Suburban and they may send a service tech to your RV.

Old 05-31-2020, 05:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Here is one thread on a similar problem:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ht-170445.html
The person with the problem in this thread was able to clear it by blowing out lines to the pilot with compressed air.

Another known issue with lighting the pilot on this maker's stove(s) is that the hole in the knob that the valve's stem fits into is too deep. This prevents the valve's stem (shaft) from being pressed in far enough to start the flow of gas to the pilot for lighting. The knob bottoms out on the stove's face before opening the pilot gas supply.

Most who've fixed this problem just wad a small piece of aluminum foil into a ball and push it into the hole in the knob Now the knob doesn't go in the shaft as far and the initiating process for lighting the pilot can occur.

You can also just turn the knob until it says "Pilot", pull the knob off, and push in the shaft as far as you can and light pilot. If that cures the problem, add the foil spacer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suburban