Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2022, 12:06 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizst View Post
I also have the Dish and love it. Could I ask about the external hard drive for DVR. How do I find out how that works?
This is what I bought from Amazon. You buy it, plug it in, the Wally formats it and prompts you to call Dish for activation. You pay a one time activation fee of $40. You now have a DVR.

Seagate Portable 2TB External... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CRG94G3...p_mob_ap_share
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:33 AM   #62
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
wow, I have never had problems with them and I been a customer since 1996 (yes, echostar 1). Sure there have been contract disputes with the local providers thinking they are going to hold dish hostage. Sure I have had a bad CSR from time to time but every company has been that way since USA decided they would farm out all the jobs to overseas.
X2 ! DirecTV was great until AT&T stepped in a decided that they needed to have AT&T Customer Service. Dropped them as soon as that sale was completed.
Started in the "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" ... NW cruise, Canadian Rockies, Round trip to Alaska. Then' 94 Tioga Montara, '06 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel. Workmanship decline started : '15 Thor Siesta & '17 Tiffin Breeze.
Another RV learning experience with our 2022 34KD Force.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:35 AM   #63
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanovetz View Post
NOt sure what programming you have but we have dish on the go so we pay month by month and quit service when we store the camper. We have had awesome service cause I call them all the time to start and stop and if I run into any issues they been awesome. Been with them since 2016. Sorry your having issues.
Last time I activated Dish On the Go, there wasn't even a need to call or access internet. The Wally was activated automatically. I believe I was just a matter of having it in the setup menu.
Started in the "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" ... NW cruise, Canadian Rockies, Round trip to Alaska. Then' 94 Tioga Montara, '06 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel. Workmanship decline started : '15 Thor Siesta & '17 Tiffin Breeze.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:39 AM   #64
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklamartin View Post
Not as far off as you might think…
Attachment 272736
Not sure if you need to subscribe to MIRC in order to get access to this link :

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/sta...a-for-a-price/

There are still many unknows. But they are working on it.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:03 AM   #65
Canadian Member

Here’s my portable dish setup. Yes its a manual setup but we don’t want broadcast tv very much when we are camping. Even at home, we use the satellite tv less and less. It is nice to have during the hockey playoffs though. With the signal finder I can set it up and find and fine tune the signal in about 15 minutes. Yes the automatic dish would be much easier but for the amount of camping we do currently, and the limited tv we watch when camping, not to mention that we often camp in heavily wooded provincial parks, I just can’t justify the cost of an automatic dish. The receiver is out of a spare room that doesn’t get much use. I find it needs to be kept plugged in and connected at home or it may not connect when we take it camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F3FFFB13-6F9B-405B-BC2D-F2EF0618DA40.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	273101   Click image for larger version

Name:	50BE86C6-9806-46B5-814B-AFE064841CA6.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	273102  
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:05 AM   #66
Retired Army MSG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Do you have only one receiver at home?
No I have a Dish hopper at home with two Joeys in additional rooms so three tvs are connected to dish at home. Bill at home including my RV wally is around 128 bucks a month.
lazyjj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:51 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
No I have a Dish hopper at home with two Joeys in additional rooms so three tvs are connected to dish at home. Bill at home including my RV wally is around 128 bucks a month.
You said the RV Wally is $7 monthly. Just curious. See post #24, or not.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:10 PM   #68
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

StarLink mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevetS View Post
That's great if you still use Dish at home. We stream at home. $7.00 per month, on the road, wouldn't be a cost savings for us. Dish only comes in handy in areas where there is non-existent Cell or WiFi service. Aka, remote areas. Elon Musk may be running to the rescue with his Starlink. But as far as I'm concerned that's still a ways off.
I've been a StarLink customer from almost day 1 at my home. Recently, they've announced "portability" which will allow you for $25/mo to move your dish to other locations. In my situation, I plan on purchasing a 2nd dish to take on the road with me and use my "home" router/WAP (wireless access point) to plug that dish into. (My home dish is mounted on my roof and the cable runs through the roof and walls to get to my router/WAP)
The speed is better than I had with cable-based Spectrum Business (60 Mbps download).
The downside if you're boondocking is that the router/WAP uses 2.5 Amps @ 120v. Some of that is used to "heat" the dish in the winter to melt snow off the dish.
As a customer I can get to customer support for this info:
= = = = = = = = = = = = = StarLink Support START = = = = = = =
What is Starlink's Portability Feature and Policy?
For an additional monthly fee, the Portability feature enables users to temporarily move their Starlink to new locations in order to receive service anywhere within the same continent Starlink provides active coverage. To see active coverage areas, please view the Starlink Availability Map. Portable users are served best effort and can expect lower service levels than fixed users, particularly in areas marked as "Waitlist" on the Availability Map.

Add Portability on Your Account:

If you are an active customer, you can enable Portability from your account page and it will take effect immediately.

If you have multiple Starlinks, Portability must be selected and purchased for each location.

When you enable Portability, you are charged on your next monthly invoice. Portability is charged in full monthly increments and cannot be pro-rated. The Portability feature and billing charges will be ongoing until you decide to disable it. Once you disable Portability, the recurring charge will stop after your next monthly invoice and Portability will only remain active for the remainder of the current billing cycle. For example, if you enable Portability on March 12th and your next billing date is on April 1st, you will be charged $25 on April 1st for the full previous month.

Limitations:

Best Effort Service: Portability service is provided on a best effort basis. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of services are not guaranteed. Starlink prioritizes network resources for users at their registered service address. When you bring your Starlink to a new location, this prioritization may result in degraded service, particularly at times of peak usage or network congestion.

International Travel: Starlink can only be used within the same continent as the registered Service Address. If you use Starlink in a foreign country for more than two months, you will be required to move your registered service address to your new location or purchase an additional Starlink to maintain service.

No In-Motion Use: We do not support Starlink use in motion at this time. Using the Starlink Kit in motion will void the limited warranty of your Kit. While our teams are actively working to make it possible to use Starlink on moving vehicles (e.g., automobiles, RVs, boats), Starlink is not yet configured to be safely used in this way.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = StarLink Support END = = = = = = =
Old 05-14-2022, 07:40 AM   #69

so what is the grand total you will pay Starlink per month?
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:09 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
so what is the grand total you will pay Starlink per month?
Prices are now $135 per month with mobile option and $599 up front for equipment. Plus tax. Ouch....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:46 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Prices are now $135 per month with mobile option and $599 up front for equipment. Plus tax. Ouch....
The initial equipment charge does have tax added but the $110/month for regular subscription does not have additional tax. $110/month is what I paid this month. Prior to this month it was $99/month. Not sure if the $25/month for portability has added tax or not since I don’t subscribe to that (yet). The equipment charge was also less prior to this year.

Tags
lite, satellite