Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2022, 01:05 PM   #1

Suggestions on Portable Satellite Dish

I am going to be spending the summer in a fairly remote area
and was looking at portable systems. I don't have experience with sat TV so would like to hear some recommendations.
Thanks
hwfahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:31 PM   #2

This is my favorite automatic and portable setup. https://www.dishformyrv.com/dish-tai...le-with-wally/

Have been all over the US with this one and a previous model. Since it is portable, you can move it to wherever you get a signal without having to move your RV as you would with a permanently mounted dish.

I like this one with the smoky clear dome as you can see it is working and can see connection lights on the circuit board inside the dish.

Happy RVing!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
This is my favorite automatic and portable setup. https://www.dishformyrv.com/dish-tai...le-with-wally/

Have been all over the US with this one and a previous model. Since it is portable, you can move it to wherever you get a signal without having to move your RV as you would with a permanently mounted dish.

I like this one with the smoky clear dome as you can see it is working and can see connection lights on the circuit board inside the dish.

Happy RVing!
That’s what I use along with an external hard drive for DVR. I get reliable signal as long as I keep the cord at 50’ or less. At home I use more than 125’. It works but it’s not as reliable.
JWood422 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 02:14 PM   #4
Part-Time Campground Host

We used a tailgater for years, but I upgraded to the Pathfinder X2. It has a larger dish and therefore gets a stronger signal especially during storms. It is completely automatic (like the tailgater) and gets both eastern/western sats.

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-PA-6...466920711&th=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pathfinder x2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	272703  
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1689
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:26 PM   #5

Agree with NMWildcat
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:22 PM   #6

Following
Old 05-05-2022, 11:49 PM   #7

I have dish at home and use it on the road. I have the King Dish tailgater pro and have used it up and down the east coast including the White Mountains of NH. Very happy with it.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:02 AM   #8
Steve & Linda M.

As far as equipment, if you absolutely have to have TV over satellite and in remote areas it's often your only option, then definitely go for the portable and not the roof mounted dish. Roof mounted is convenient but not necessarily the best. You might have to jockey your RV around to try and get a signal.
Dish is, IMO, the best option. You don't need to pay or activate your service unless you intend to use it. Then it's just a payment for every month of use. In my case, that makes sense, as over winter we are typically not on the road.
I also deactivate my data only SIM cards. T-Mobile allows up to 6 months of deactivation. Verizon allows 3 months of deactivation. I have both just to keep my options open, with respect to Internet.
Started in the "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" ... NW cruise, Canadian Rockies, Round trip to Alaska. Then' 94 Tioga Montara, '06 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel. Workmanship decline started : '15 Thor Siesta & '17 Tiffin Breeze.
Another RV learning experience with our 2022 34KD Force.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:15 AM   #9
Retired Army MSG!

I have the Dish Tailgater and Wally. I am pleased most of the time. As for monthly subscription it is part of my home account so I keep it active year round for $7.00/month. If you are in a CG with a lot of trees, it can be difficult to get signal from the sattelite.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
We used a tailgater for years, but I upgraded to the Pathfinder X2. It has a larger dish and therefore gets a stronger signal especially during storms. It is completely automatic (like the tailgater) and gets both eastern/western sats.

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-PA-6...466920711&th=1
I second this one, fast acquisition, stronger signal due to larger dish.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:06 AM   #11

Thinking of going with Dish for our winters in Texas

We stay all winter at a beachfront rv resort with lousy cable for $30 extra per month. We have Dish Network at home in New Hampshire for the summers and put it on pause while gone for the winter. We use our unlimited Verizon for Internet. We’ll have to look into this. Thanks for the info.
NH Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:23 AM   #12
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
I have the Dish Tailgater and Wally. I am pleased most of the time. As for monthly subscription it is part of my home account so I keep it active year round for $7.00/month. If you are in a CG with a lot of trees, it can be difficult to get signal from the sattelite.
That's great if you still use Dish at home. We stream at home. $7.00 per month, on the road, wouldn't be a cost savings for us. Dish only comes in handy in areas where there is non-existent Cell or WiFi service. Aka, remote areas. Elon Musk may be running to the rescue with his Starlink. But as far as I'm concerned that's still a ways off.
Started in the "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" ... NW cruise, Canadian Rockies, Round trip to Alaska. Then' 94 Tioga Montara, '06 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel. Workmanship decline started : '15 Thor Siesta & '17 Tiffin Breeze.
Another RV learning experience with our 2022 34KD Force.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
Do you have only one receiver at home?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:56 AM   #14

I have the Pathfinder as well and love the fact it has stronger signal. Use it with 100 feet of cable In some cases to get clear view away from trees. I purchased a older dish receiver that has the ota port which allow access to local channels if a available using on board antenna. Helps getting local weather forecast in case of bad weather. Dish allows use of purchased receiver which stays in rv and I pay only the $ 7 a month when active.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwfahs View Post
I am going to be spending the summer in a fairly remote area
and was looking at portable systems. I don't have experience with sat TV so would like to hear some recommendations.
Thanks
The Dish tailgater works well for us....with cable and tripod.....aaand you need a compass to point it correctly....juice in minn Safe travels !
juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:57 AM   #16

I also have the X2, its the only dish you can do East OR West ARC with. There is times in trees I would need to use one or the other to get coverage.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I also have the X2, its the only dish you can do East OR West ARC with.
This is no longer true. The newer King Tailgaters get both arcs. https://www.dishformyrv.com/dish-tai...xoC0T8QAvD_BwE

And even with the older dish tailgator that didn't get both arcs we always managed to get connection anywhere in the USA we happened to be. We did have problems in the extreme NE and had to settle for SD instead of HD channels.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:12 AM   #18
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I also have the X2, its the only dish you can do East OR West ARC with. There is times in trees I would need to use one or the other to get coverage.
Actually the new Tailgater Pro gets both arcs, but the X2 is a better dish.
https://www.dishformyrv.com/dish-tai...xoCyWUQAvD_BwE
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1689
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:16 AM   #19

We have the Winegard Pathfinder X2 and the Wally and we are very happy with them. We use it at the Park Model in Florida and we use it with the travel trailer in the summers. Being able to get both eastern and western arc satellites has come in handy at times.

I use the Winegard TV Signal Finder app to see if there is a good view of the satellites when setting up, if there are trees nearby. It uses the camera in the smart phone and superimposes images of the satellites on the screen so you see if the satellite view will be blocked. It is an EXTREMELY handy app to have.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
This is no longer true. The newer King Tailgaters get both arcs. https://www.dishformyrv.com/dish-tai...xoC0T8QAvD_BwE

And even with the older dish tailgator that didn't get both arcs we always managed to get connection anywhere in the USA we happened to be. We did have problems in the extreme NE and had to settle for SD instead of HD channels.

I think you will find the tailgater products use 110, 119 and 129 OR 61 where the X2 can receive satellites 119/110/129 or 61.5/72.7/77. its the ability to switch between the 119/110 and the 72.7/77 that makes the difference.

I installed a tailgater on my MBS motorhome and a couple times I wished I had brought the X2.

One thing I remember about the X2 is the Wally will go through a reboot every morning, which causes the dish to re-aim. When this happens the dish will "bang" into the end stops as it finds center, and with it mounted to roof its acts like a drum head and amplifies the sound and wakes you up.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite