Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 04:56 PM   #1

Surge protection or no?

I just had a new electrical service installed in my home and garage. I had a 30 amp plug put in on the garage for my travel trailer every thing inspected and checked out along with double grounding rods on the garage and house. Question, while the trailer is plugged into the 30 amp plug should I use my surge protector?
Old 09-29-2020, 04:57 PM   #2

YES.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #3

I never plug in without it but mine is hardwired.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #4

I am assuming this is a question regarding a portable surge protector. If so, do you have surge protectors for other things in your house like your computers?

Mine is hardwired so I have no choice but if it was a portable, I wouldn't really bother.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:01 PM   #5
Part-Time Campground Host

Absolutely!

If there is even a remote chance that a problem could happen it will cost more than the price of a surge protector to replace a converter or any appliances.
It's like car or RV insurance.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1659
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #6

This subject has hashed several times on the forum. There are, or course, several pro/con opinions. Most are worth reading. Personally I sway toward installing surge protection because it's cheap insurance. Here two thread you might wish to review:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ed-155270.html

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...on-112804.html
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:48 PM   #7

For anyone that said yes, do you have a surge protector installed for your house?
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I just had a new electrical service installed in my home and garage. I had a 30 amp plug put in on the garage for my travel trailer every thing inspected and checked out along with double grounding rods on the garage and house. Question, while the trailer is plugged into the 30 amp plug should I use my surge protector?
Yes.

I have a 30 amp RV outlet and I alway use my Progressive Industries SSP-30XL Surge Protector.

I also use a surge protector on my television in my home.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #9
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
For anyone that said yes, do you have a surge protector installed for your house?
Yep. My TV, modem, router, DVD player, DVR are all on a fancy surge protection/battery backup.

I think the OP was wondering whether surge protection was worthwhile if he knows that the electrical installation was done well.

He still can get surges, low-voltages, etc. If he is willing to spend the money on the insurance policy that an EMS provides (or a surge protector), then yes.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Yep. My TV, modem, router, DVD player, DVR are all on a fancy surge protection/battery backup.

I think the OP was wondering whether surge protection was worthwhile if he knows that the electrical installation was done well.

He still can get surges, low-voltages, etc. If he is willing to spend the money on the insurance policy that an EMS provides (or a surge protector), then yes.
Yes you can get surge protection installed right in your main breaker panel in the house (or shop/garage if it’s separate) and not worry about it.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:46 PM   #11

we had a nearby lightning strike the caused damage to our new refrigerator. neighbors had other problems. i now have a whole house surge protector installed on the incoming power service. as a double measure of safety i have some devices plugged into individual surge protectors at the receptacle.

i would use it. it might indicate other problems such as a wire a ground wire coming loose. it's a passive device and is designed to sit there for long periods of time. murphy's law saw if you use it you'll never need it. but if you don't ..........
Old 09-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #12

We are all using the term surge protector interchangeably with other devices like EMS devices. Without getting into the past threads discussions...newbies to this discussion NEED to consider the additional protection offered by EMS devices rather than mere surge protection. My bacon has been saved several times from more expensive fixes with my EMS. Included in an EMS you will get:
Over/under Voltage Protection
Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Detection
Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Protection
Accidental 240V Protection
Miswired Pedestal Indication
Surge Failure Indicator & Protection

I also like the fact that no current is allowed into my G'Town until and unless the EMS has checked each thing and closes the switch.
Voltage Indication
Current Indication
Previous Error Code
A/C Frequency Protection

This is not a comprehensive list but my view of the most important features to look for. I just use surge protectors in my house...but I swear by my Progressive EMS on the road.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #13

Quote:
No, I do not have a surge protector for my house or any residence I've ever had. I do have battery backed up power supplies for computers and network devices and they have integral surge protectors. I do not have external surge protectors on any other electronics (which is a lot) in my house. I have a large number of voice assistants (Amazon Echo) as well as remote control modules, which are directly power line connected and I've never had an outage, even though I live in central Illinois and we have a ton of thunder and lightning storms. Our utilities are all underground, however, which means that lightning surges would be unlikely. We bought our TT last fall and I saw no recommendation for a surge protector, or that the extended warranty I purchased for it had any requirement for surge protection. All my power runs through the combination AC/DC panel, which also contains the AC to DC power convertor/battery charger, so it might have surge protection contained in it.

Does anyone know if the ePro or GeoPro line has integral surge protection on the AC power connection?
Old 09-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
We are all using the term surge protector interchangeably with other devices like EMS devices. Without getting into the past threads discussions...newbies to this discussion NEED to consider the additional protection offered by EMS devices rather than mere surge protection. My bacon has been saved several times from more expensive fixes with my EMS. Included in an EMS you will get:
Over/under Voltage Protection
Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Detection
Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Protection
Accidental 240V Protection
Miswired Pedestal Indication
Surge Failure Indicator & Protection

I also like the fact that no current is allowed into my G'Town until and unless the EMS has checked each thing and closes the switch.
Voltage Indication
Current Indication
Previous Error Code
A/C Frequency Protection

This is not a comprehensive list but my view of the most important features to look for. I just use surge protectors in my house...but I swear by my Progressive EMS on the road.
Since I carry a voltmeter and an outlet tester (LED device that looks for ground faults like open grounds or misconnected grounds and reversed hot/neutral), I can determine if a campground connector is mis-wired before I plug in the TT. Brownouts are not something I am concerned about. Surges are another thing altogether, but power line protection will not really protect against lightning surges induced into wiring since they can bypass the protection. Surge protectors are generally MOVs (Metal Oxide Varistors), which are inexpensive and are the technology used for surge suppression in plug strips, they relatively slow acting and will not protect again surges with fast rise times. Gas discharge tubes are much faster, but are more expensive and are relatively fragile. Zener diodes are also fast, but expensive as well.

In these EMS devices, I would want to know which technology(ies) they employ for surge protection. Does anyone know what is employed in the Progressive EMS and Surge Protectors? The cost is most likely the voltage and current measurement and the interrupter, and they probably use MOVs for surge protection.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:48 PM   #15

Surge protector

I never plug in my camper without first plugging in my surge protector. By doing this I do not have to worry about high or low volts.
The Flip Flop Way of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:52 PM   #16
code.org

Quote:
Absolutely, positively. After 37 years in the computer/networking industry I have battery backup/surge protectors on all the expensive electronic devices in my house.

So, obviously, when I got my new rig I installed a Progressive Industries hard wired unit in it with the LED readout positioned by the door so that I can see it from outside the trailer.

There is no way I would trust the electronics in my rig to the often poorly maintained, improperly wired power pedestals I have seen as we have traveled across the country.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post

Simple. You purchased it to keep your unit safe. You have, use it. Better than saying, "Damn, I should have plugged in the Surge Protector."
Just saying.

I find if I think I should do something, that is the warning. Example.
Sitting at our permanent campsite years ago I thought, I should put a chain or some cables on the golf cart just to help deter theft. I did not do it.
Came back next weekend and was sitting at the picnic table where the cart is parked for about 20 minutes and thought, Where is the Golf Cart?
Yup that puppy was gone.

New philosophy is, if you think it do it.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #18

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes I do for not only the main panel for the entire house and not the outside meter but also one just for the motorhome's 50amp outside outlet that it plugs into. I also have a separate UPS/Surge for my computers, as well. Long story short I had an issue after a major ice storm in house in Mass. after National Grid turn on power without checking out my house lines at the pole. Fried anything that wasn't tied into a surge suppressor, wasn't pretty and though it cost me a very expensive surge suppressor for my very expensive TV and stereo equipment. It did it's job and insurance covered the rest.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:24 PM   #19

I use my EMS at home and on the road. I trust the house or generator no more than any other line. I also have a whole house surge protector and still use more of them on pcs and other electronics. A few reasons I still use the ems on all these.

1. Undervotage is a bigger problem than over voltage. My AC compressor has been replaced on my house because of it. Don't need that on the trailer too as thats the fallback plan when the AC croaks. My EMS has tripped once at home.
2. The whole house surge saves my stuff from incoming surges but not from issues inside the house.
3. If you have ever run a generator out of gas a good idea to have the ems...an inverter generator makes this less of an issue but could still flake out on you.

As an example for #2 a tree in the back was struck by lightning. It traveled back through the sprinkler system to the house ground back to the electrical box tripping half the breakers (power company has the surge protection at the meter not the breaker box). Nothing will stop a direct lightning strike but this was indirect and everything on a surge suppressor was fine inside the house. The cable boxes and TVs not protected were not and several fried. Cost was a little over the $1000 deductible for home owners but the power company provides insurance with their surge service so I was covered but had to deal with the hastle still. The power companys surge protection has saved me a few times now as well from outside issues.

I may have extreme situations to some but you never know when something dumb will happen. Why not use it if you paid for it.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:08 PM   #20

This past summer I was at a campground near Angola Indiana. I plugged in my 50 amp ems surge protector and turned the breakers to the on position. The readout on my ems unit said leg 1 side had only 102 volts and leg 2 had only 96 volts. I called the park management to inform them of the low voltage. Park manager tried to convince me that anything within a 10-15 percent range of 110 volts was okay to run my trailer. Several other campers had gathered around at this point and we all had a good laugh at his statement. He walked away claiming the problem was with my trailer, even though it had not even been plugged in yet.
K5460 is offline   Reply With Quote