Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2022, 09:50 AM   #1
RV There Yet?

Swap 2 way fridge to compressor fridge

As the title states, we are looking at swapping out our 120v/LP fridge for a compressor fridge. we currently have a Norcold 305/306 that has some wildly inconsistent temps and we absolutely hate its design and small 2.7 cu ft of space. yes we tried fans to remove the heat behind the fridge and a fan inside.

we have decided to remove it and cap off the gas line and replace the unit with a 120v 3.1 cu ft compressor fridge and run it full time on a 12v inverter. we do not boondock and have no plans in the future of doing so. link of the fridge in consideration below.

how well do residential type fridges handle road vibrations while towing? some of our travel days are 6-8 hours.

is there any real advantage with going to a 12v compressor fridge vs a 120v fridge on an inverter?

anything else that we are not thinking of with this project?

All thoughts and ideas are welcome!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Galanz-3-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 08-31-2022, 10:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Assume that you have no plans for camping off the grid.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:10 AM   #3

The only question I have is why run it on an inverter all the time? I understand when you are traveling, but when at full hookups I would want it run directly from a 120v plug. You could use a transfer switch, but in your case it might be just as easy to move the fridge plug from one to another. I would think running it fulltime on the inverter would put extra stress on the battery charging system.
As far as 120v fridges holding up to RV life, I would not be concerned. They are shoving 120v fridges in RVs all the time and I know most if them are not specially designed for RV use. And besides, if it does fail for some reason, it won't be a big deal, physically or financially, to replace it.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:13 AM   #4
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Assume that you have no plans for camping off the grid.
correct, we dont have any plans for off grid camping. we do have an inverter generator we can take if needed.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:16 AM   #5

That's a nice low price on a fridge. But making 120v out of 12v is fairly inefficient way to generate 12v (as low as 75%). If you had a native 12v fridge (more expensive), your batteries might thank you, power-wise (for travel day). A solar maintainer (simple 190w setup) would also help collect energy and keep your batteries charged (in addition to the small amount of 12v your trailer is getting from the seven pin) while on the road. Our 12v compressor fridge is a champ, and has dealt with a year of on-road without a hiccup. We do boondock, and built up our solar and battery bank to deal accordingly. It's not cheap up front, but it's (1) more affordable if you look at long term and cost differentials btw Evap and 12v architecture AND Lead acid/AGM vs LiFePo in the long run. Our rig has proven to be faultless for our use.

Good reminder that everyone has their own unique power needs and usage profile - it's really important to understand how it all will work together. Not boondocking will make your requirements easier to meet, though some battery+solar might make an overnight on the side of the road or the Cracker Barrel parking lot more manageable. Likewise, a small inverter generator could also meet needs for impromptu overnights.

Since you're going from power pole to power pole (and potentially storing in between), it's likely you can get away without a significant investment.

Just my .02, hope this helps!
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:20 AM   #6
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
The only question I have is why run it on an inverter all the time? I understand when you are traveling, but when at full hookups I would want it run directly from a 120v plug. You could use a transfer switch, but in your case it might be just as easy to move the fridge plug from one to another. I would think running it fulltime on the inverter would put extra stress on the battery charging system.
As far as 120v fridges holding up to RV life, I would not be concerned. They are shoving 120v fridges in RVs all the time and I know most if them are not specially designed for RV use. And besides, if it does fail for some reason, it won't be a big deal, physically or financially, to replace it.
We certainly could swap it over from inverter to shore power. If we forget to swap it over or we get lazy it may run on the inverter while on shore power. good to know that a residential unit will hold up!
Old 08-31-2022, 10:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
We certainly could swap it over from inverter to shore power. If we forget to swap it over or we get lazy it may run on the inverter while on shore power. good to know that a residential unit will hold up!
Many of the inverters designed for RV use will automatically switch from battery to shore power whenever shore power is connected. We had one like that in our motor home and it worked flawlessly.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 11:12 AM   #8
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Many of the inverters designed for RV use will automatically switch from battery to shore power whenever shore power is connected. We had one like that in our motor home and it worked flawlessly.
great idea! do you or anyone else have any models that I can take a look at? Im not sure where to even start here. the fridge draws .8 amps, so about 100 watts. power requirements are pretty small. we are not planning on powering anything else on this inverter.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:01 PM   #9

Transfer switch

Quote:
The key word for this function is "Transfer switch." You would look for an inverter with a built-in (internal) transfer switch. Do you know how many watts the candidate refrigerator needs. (Maybe allow an extra 50% for a short current surge at startup.)

This one, for example is a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter with a built-in transfer switch.

Don't take this as a recommendation. It's the first one I found. There may be better and cheaper ones available.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:02 PM   #10

Quote:
great idea! do you or anyone else have any models that I can take a look at? Im not sure where to even start here. the fridge draws .8 amps, so about 100 watts. power requirements are pretty small. we are not planning on powering anything else on this inverter.
The one we had was made by Xantrex. I have heard Renogy is a company that also makes electrical system items for RV’s. Progressive Dynamics also make some, they seem to all be in the 1,000 watt plus size range.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:07 PM   #11
Rickthor

We switched to residential refrigerator in our class A sometime ago without any issues. The inverter has an automatic switch that easily recognizes when to switch to shore power and back when we are motoring down the highway. As for durability of rv life on the refrigerator, don’t loose any sleep over it.
rickthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Quote:
Most of them are called "inverter chargers" and need to be hooked up to batteries and two sides of the AC system. One to get power and pass it through via an internal ATS and one side to the outlet end. They are for sure more difficult to install due to the AC input issue.

You can use a regular inverter and add an ATS between the inverter and the outlet for the fridge. You'll have to remember to turn off the inverter as just having it on even if you have shore power will use up battery (though the RV's converter should be charging faster than the inverter is consuming at "idle")

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:35 PM   #13
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The key word for this function is "Transfer switch." You would look for an inverter with a built-in (internal) transfer switch. Do you know how many watts the candidate refrigerator needs. (Maybe allow an extra 50% for a short current surge at startup.)

This one, for example is a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter with a built-in transfer switch.

Don't take this as a recommendation. It's the first one I found. There may be better and cheaper ones available.
the fridge uses .8 amps / 96 watts at running power.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:55 PM   #14

200-250 watts

Quote:
the fridge uses .8 amps / 96 watts at running power.
Then a 200 or 250 watt inverter ought to be able to handle it, including startup surge. Do the specs disclose the startup current (not running)?

A quick search did not reveal any inverters at that power level that had built-in transfer switches. Maybe a more thorough search would find one.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 03:02 PM   #15
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Then a 200 or 250 watt inverter ought to be able to handle it, including startup surge. Do the specs disclose the startup current (not running)?

A quick search did not reveal any inverters at that power level that had built-in transfer switches. Maybe a more thorough search would find one.
I currently have a Samlex 300/600 pure sine wave inverter that i was hoping to use. we are not too terribly worried about a transfer switch as we can unplug from the inverter and plug into the existing 120v power plug when on shore power.

I wish I had the startup surge power rating from the compressor, that would make this process a lot easier. we were hoping to (and did) get some ideas if this project would even be possible before sinking any money into it.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:28 PM   #16

Quote:

I have an outside kitchen fridge with same specs. I tried a 300w TSW inverter to no avail. Seems that the inrush is over 7 times running current. I just installed a 1Kw TSW inverter costing me $144.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:51 AM   #17

Digital Power Monitor Meter

Quote:
I wish I had the startup surge power rating from the compressor, that would make this process a lot easier.
You are correct; you need to know the startup current draw > it will be significantly more then the 0.9 amps during running. Plug in ‘Digital Power Monitor Meters’ are readily available and fairly inexpensive. Look for one that holds the peak value.
ESGWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:57 AM   #18

Also here is a comprehensive video on the various alternatives and their electric consumption, etc.

ESGWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:59 PM   #19

Typical starting current for induction motors is about 6 times running current as a rule of thumb. Some motors might be a little more, some a little less but this is a good approximation. This could be specified for a compressor motor as Locked Rotor Amps (LRA).
BT3927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:25 AM   #20

https://www.recpro.com/rv-refrigerat...ainless-steel/

No need for inverter. Tow vehicle will charge battery while underway, at least mine does in my Rockwood Signature with 12V fridge. Probably less cost than 120V fridge and inverter with a transfer switch. Keep it simple.

Tags
fridge